Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

:shrug:

2. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

I much prefer 'Workout' over the * famous* 'Sextet'.(BN 1568)
    [​IMG]
    Wynton Kelly's piano sounds great, too!

LeeS, Potential Energy and PauGasmall like this.
  3. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Listening to this month's selections.

Hank Mobley 1568 really is as good as everyone says here. Vinyl is quiet and the mono sound stage is truly amazing! Such depth! The wife was swinging to it, so I give it the thumbs up. :righton:

Lee Morgan - Candy was quite different. My copy is not the quietest (lots of crackle in the background of track 1 -- anyone else have this?). Plus the music, to me, is good but not trancendant like the Mobley. If you're not a subscriber, I'd recommend saving the money on this one.

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

You could say the same thing about Velvet Underground records also. Perception changes over time.

Jazzphile32 and scotth like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

When the last round of MM titles was announced, this month's releases appealed to me least. The late 50s hard boo sound of the 1500 series just isn't my preference. I'd heard Candy before on Apple Music, and of course the quality of this release improves on that. Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, and Art Taylor are in fine form. Doug Watkins, who played with Sonny Rollins on Saxophone Colossus, is on bass. The quartet format suits Morgan; even on this relatively early title, the extra solo time lets his style shine.

I'd never heard Mobley 1568, but I'm starting to understand what people see in him. I like him better on this sort of classic hard bop, which of course he helped invent with Art Blakey, then the soul jazz style he shifted to in the early 60s. Paul Chambers is always worth a listen, and Sonny Clark and Art Taylor appear here, too. I'm thinking that, despite my prejudices, I need to pick up some more early Mobley titles.

johnnypaddock and mikeyt like this.
  6. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Indeed, the Mobley is great. But the Morgan just kind of left me bored. Maybe it's the quarter aspect. I LOVED the Search for New Land. But Candy just isn't doing it for me at all.

Next month will be GREAT!

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I prefer the '60s boo sound of "Monster Mash", but the Twin Peaks Angelo Badalamenti music is also pretty creepy.

:pleased:

Satchidananda likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

I love Search for the New Land, and recommend Tom Cat, The Gigolo, and The Procrastinator.

PauGasmall likes this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If you're a fan of Mobley, the two titles from Prestige series are definitely worth checking out;
    Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds »

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That entire Prestige Mono Series that AP put it out is worth picking up. Great stuff.

sassi and MikeJedi like this.
  11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The one that "sold" last year for $11,267 didn't actually fetch that amount. This is what the seller, vinyl-house-uk, had to say regarding that sale:

“As for the “Mobley” auction;The winner is from the UK and the Under bidder France. The winner placed a bid that would ensure a market close-out,we then took around 50 choice condition pieces in exchange.If he grants us permission we will do a story on our blog.”

wellers73 likes this.
  12. JustLust

JustLust Well-Known Member

Anyone know how long into each month it generally takes for new titles to be available to non-subscribers? I'd like to pick up the new titles (along with the last two) and catch up. At this point, I should just subscribe...

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, if you're planning to buy them all, you might as well subscribe, it will be less expensive (I think).

14. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

Particularly Mobley's Message is filled with my favourite tunes ; 'Bouncing with Bud', '52nd Theme' Parker's 'Au Privave' ( a fun with Jackie McLean on alto ) plus gorgeous ballad 'Little Girl Blue'.
    [​IMG]

Just don't listen to this right after you listen to MM Mobley reissues as the sound isn't nearly dynamic nor they don't have that in-room presence.
    [​IMG]
    I picked this one mainly because I like this earlier version of 'I should care' with Watler Bishop's piano intro over Winton Kelly in Another Workout.

LeeS, googlymoogly and DeRosa like this.
  15. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

If somebody need an updated (xlsx format) MM 33rpm list with covers and release date, by email, or easier by facebook. You can sent a pm to me: Michel Vlyminck.

16. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

Just received the Mobley 1568 and Lee Morgan' s Candy. The Mobley 1568 is very, very good, up there with Workout, the very underrated No Room for Squares, and Soul Station. It is one of the best-sounding recordings of the MM 33 series so far and the music is equally as good. Candy is just ok; I see this more as being more significant as a marker for where young Morgan was at the time than for the music itself. (Incidentally, AllMusic gave 1568 3 stars and Candy 4 stars. I don't know if it's the same reviewer since there is no full review given for 1568, but still.)

So far, the two Hanks' (Jones and Mobley) titles are standouts within the entire MM 33 catalog, with Search for... standing on its own IMO. Candy is a good taste of what young Lee Morgan was like, especially compared to his later works. I think it is telling that Morgan did not write any of the songs on Candy, which also illustrates the growth he had yet to experience.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I was hoping this one would have made the final list of 13. Always been a favorite of mine.

My 33s got here last night. Looking forward to spinning the Mobley, today.
    I have several versions od 'Candy' and it has never been a favorite of mine.

Jazzphile32 likes this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Two of those tracks from No Room for Squares were assembled with the other takes from that session on The Feelin's Good, in case you don't have that one.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a question

If I subscribe to the final series, does MM charge my card for the entire series upfront, or is it by what they issue in batches per month? Thx!

20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Batches per month ..

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Anyone have a Japan King Mobley 1568 to compare to the MM?

22. george2210

george2210 Forum Resident

I have the King Mobley 1568, but i'm waiting for my MM's to arrive.

nightenrock likes this.
  23. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Hi Michel

yes, interested by your spreadsheet maybe we could complete it with the 45, (or those not available in 33)

24. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

No worries, I finished the sheet of the 45rpm serie long time ago, so that is also available (with covers and release dates)...

25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I noticed that the new Candy 33 is STEREO and not MONO like the 45. Nice!

Michel Jazz likes this.