Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

Anthony Williams - Life Time

2. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

NorthNY Mark and Gabe Walters like this.
  3. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Sonny Clark Trio BLP1579

Bryce, AaronW, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  4. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

For my man cave, I used this lp cover, along with my avatar and Jutta Hipp-Zoot Sims 1530 in three 20"x20" canvas printed wall art that operates also has acoustic control. I have a Japanese repress, nice lp.

jlrchrds and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  5. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Just one, hah ? From the artists already represented in the MM program, I would have to call it between Black Fire (Andrew Hill) and Trompeta Toccata (Kenny Dorham). However, for one single entry my vote goes to Don Cherry's Complete Communion.

Bryce, johnnypaddock and Gabe Walters like this.
  6. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I am listening to that one RIGHT now. I have a Japanese EMI pressing that's pretty good, but would love a MM pressing for sure.

jlrchrds likes this.
  7. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

For me, its Tina Brooks' Minor Move with performances by Brooks, Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, Doug Watkins and Art Blakey. Recorded on March 16, 1958, its Brooks' first album as a leader for Blue Note Records. The album was shelved for years until being issued in Japan in 1980, as Blue Note GXF 3072. Now out of print, the title was issued in the US on CD.

Bryce, johnnypaddock and Gabe Walters like this.
  8. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

All three are on my want list too. I have Black Fire, the 75th Anniversary Issue by BN, and Don Cherry's Complete Communion. Trompeta Toccata does not come up often on the famous auction site. I don't want the DMM release.

9. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

It did not take long to get to six:

1. Tina Brooks - Minor Moves, GXF 3072 in Japan, released in 1980. 4-1/2 stars AMG (music is available in the Mosaic box set MR4-106 released in 1985)
    2. Don Cherry's - Complete Communion, BST 84226, 1966. 4-1/2 stars AMG
    3. Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio, BLP1579, 1958. 4 stars AMG (what do they know, sheeesss)
    4. Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff, BST 84177, 1965. 4-1/2 stars AMG
    5. McCoy Tyner - Expansions, BST 84338, 1968. 4-1/2 stars AMG
    6. Anthony Williams - Life Time, BST 84180, 1964. 4-1/2 stars AMG

Looking for other recommendations...

Bryce, LeeS and jlrchrds like this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Hey AmiV, I'm only quote/replying because of your avatar. I just got a MM 33 shipment today with Indestructible,NP,and Moanin. That red pic shows nicely and distinguishes you as a person of good taste!

AmiV likes this.
  11. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Where is the Herbie Nichols???? He's a must for Music Matters.....

Bryce and LeeS like this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like Brown Sugar,Roach from old list and I've been anguishing over trying to locate good,not excessively expensive 33's of Shorter's Adam's Apple,Silver's Song For My Father, Hutcherson's Happenings,and McLean's Bluesnik. I know they'd be repeats of 45's but I'd still love to have them all on MM 33.

13. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

You can choose to ignore this of course, I put one down already and it was my first choice...

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

I really struggled between that and Expansions. I simply listen to the Tyner recording more... man, it's a great LP.

Jeff

BTW, Bendbound... that's one heck of a list!

AaronW, Tlay and Gabe Walters like this.
  14. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Stanley Turrentine, "Joyride". I have an original Mono (BLP 4201). The wonderful cover would be an excellent target for the MM treatment. Soundwise this big band setting should benefit from some MM magic.

[​IMG]

Bryce, GreatTone and LeeS like this.
  15. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

If you have not done so already, check out his Bethlehem recordings, particularly Love, Gloom, Cash, Love. I think this release may be better than his Blue Note sessions. The lp is spendy, so I got the CD. I have the Mosaic vinyl set, his entire Blue Note releases from the 1980s.

I have not looked to see if you have already made a recommendation, but did I hear one for:

Herbie Nichols Trio - Herbie Nichols Trio BLP 1519, 1956. 3 stars AMG (idiots)

AMG has The Third World, a Two-fer from BN (UAG) released in 1975, at 5 stars. That set includes Herbie Nichols Trio (1956) and both The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, released in 1955 as 10" lps. It is almost criminal that Blue Note did not re-release these two during the 75th Anniversary set, where they selected 18 other 10" lps for special release. I picked up most of those. Dollars to donuts, there are serious issues with the master tape.

But your mention of him again caused me to put on the CD I made from the Mosaic set of this lp.

16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Why did MM choose Jackie McLean Right Now! instead of Let Freedom Ring ? Did they really prefer the former or were there 'issues' with the latter? I'm just curious because Let Freedom Ring is generally considered as a masterpiece. That's the one I would choose to reissue in the future.

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They'd announced Let Freedom Ring as a 45 years ago, but of course it never materialized. Perhaps the tape had issues.

rxcory, jlrchrds and Johan1880 like this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar

rxcory likes this.
  19. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I can tell you the 75th BN reissue of Let Freedom Ring on Vinyl was a B A D... in terms of pressing. That one would be a great addition.

rxcory likes this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Herbie Hancock, The Prisoner.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

A couple of thoughts:
    • Joe and Ron and Michael are real Blue Note experts. I take some comfort that they will get to a list of titles that are very good performances.
    • Joe and Ron will listen to what the audience wants as they want titles that will also sell.
    Those that sign the petition with a real email, I can reach out to and (maybe) share a Music Matters link that participants can share ideas for new titles.

One very minor thing I might argue is that given the demand, I doubt MM will lose money on any title. The way things are going, all the titles are selling out, just some are selling out faster than others.

Lee

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Curious as to why Music Matters not too long ago, pulled all of their vinyl from the online stores that were originally selling these LP's, so they could sell them direct themselves.
    All of sudden there are 5 pages or 99 titles of Music Matters LP's for sale at Acoustic Sounds. Someone mentioned another online seller also.
    So, what just happened all of sudden? :shrug:

23. Harbins_Grave

Harbins_Grave Untitled Original 11383

The stock you see at Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds is old stock that has been available since before the Music Matters distribution went direct - they've been selling those 33s and 45s all the while - Music Matters stopped stocking their new titles with those retailers but didn't "pull" the old stock.

John D. likes this.
  24. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Anthony Williams - Spring

NorthNY Mark, rxcory and Gabe Walters like this.
  25. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Day 2:

1. Tina Brooks - Minor Moves, GXF 3072 in Japan, released in 1980. ★★★★½ AMG
    2. Don Cherry's - Complete Communion, BST 84226, 1966. ★★★★½
    3. Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio, BLP1579, 1958. ★★★★
    4. Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner, BST 84321, 1969. ★★★
    5. Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff, BST 84177, 1965. ★★★★½
    6. Herbie Nichols Trio - Herbie Nichols Trio BLP 1519, 1956. ★★★
    7. Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar, BST-84168, 1964. ★★★★½
    8. Stanley Turrentine - Joyride, BST 84201, 1965. ★★★★
    9. McCoy Tyner - Expansions, BST 84338, 1968. ★★★★½
    10. Anthony Williams - Life Time, BST 84180, 1964. ★★★★½
    11. Anthony Williams - Spring, BST 84216, 1966. ★★★

Looking for other recommendations...any seconds on Bobby Hutcherson - Components? Anything else from the first list (see link above) that could/should be brought forward that hasn't aleady?

Not that it matters, yet a number of the above titles were released on Blue Notes 75th Anniversary collection and by Heavenly Sweetness.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    JoelWat likes this.