Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 45 rpm version. FWIW, the reviews on the acousticssounds.com site section note significant surface noise: Grant Green-Idle Moments-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Music matters as well though?

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Did MM release "Idle Moments" as a 45 rpm cut? I wasn't aware they had...I just knew about the Analogue Productions version, and the MM 33 rpm cut.

4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

My fault, what I really mean to say is, Ap 45rpm $45, MM 33rpm $60, 75th $20, or bust. What to do!

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The reviews for the AP 45 at Acoustic Sounds are several years old, I wouldn't pay those much mind. If you don't want to wait for the MM issue to possibly come down in price with the next pressing run, I'd get the 45 or the AP SACD. I see that you've got a Schiite Gungnir, it should sound pretty great on your system.

6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Listened to my Idle Moments MM 33 this morning and it's beautiful and quiet,one of the best!

7. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Mine too!

Fender Relic likes this.
  8. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I wouldn't touch any BN 75th reissues on vinyl with a 10ft pole. The pressings had awful quality control. I've dumped any that I purchased.

9. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

So you did touch them...

e.s. likes this.
  10. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

The European pressings were far better. I've got about 40 of them and I'm very happy. The ones made at Optimal (the majority) were perfect and even the few batches pressed by GZ were flat and quiet after cleaning.

11. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I have 8 mm titles so far and maybe about a dozen split between 75th and 80s dmm records often trash talked here and there. I have yet to get a stinker, but I am aware of the issues and try to avoid the known bad ones if I can.

12. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Yes and I have the last four or five in a stack to trade off....

Lesson learned!

13. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

A few In the beginning were ok, like the Eric Dolphy, but most of the others I tried were warped and had fill issues. This is US pressings I'm talking about

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

My experience as well, and the few US copies I picked up were actually fine, too.

15. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

All my EU 75th Anniversary say Mastered By Bernie Grundman on the back. For the money, they sound fine.

Bryce and e.s. like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Those EU copies were all pressed very well by Optimal and GZ. Are they up to Music Matters' quality? No, but they helped fill some holes in my Blue Note collection and they'll do until something better comes along.

17. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Order on the way:

MM 33s:

Hank Mobley Sextet
    Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Horace Parlan - Us Three
    Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues
    Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop
    Lee Morgan - Leeway

MM45s (from a different vendor)
    Granchan Moncur III - Evolution
    Hank Mobley- Roll Call
    Lee Morgan - The Gigolo
    Lee Morgan - Volume 3

And non-MM titles:
    Kenny Burrell - Live at Village Vanguard (AP 45)
    Kenny Burrell - Guitar Forms (Speakers Corner 33)
    Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny (AP 33)

Super excited about all of these titles!

What happened to me? I didn't like jazz 18 months ago. Then I found MM. it's not just the sound quality etc. Also the curation of high quality titles making it easy to get sucked in to the music.

Bryce, CarlosLemus, garrincha and 3 others like this.
  18. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Oh, yeah! Been there, done that. Never looking back. Fantastic trip.

Pushpaw likes this.
  19. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I am going to buy indestructible and jackies Bag for my birthday tomorrow. It's been a few months since I have purchased any. It's time. :D

Pushpaw likes this.
  20. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Loving Jackie's Bag!

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just cleaned and am listening to Duke Pearson's Wahoo! What a fantastic album! My first listen, and it has immediately become one of my favorite Blue Notes.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I got Wahoo! in also. I second that motion. I really like this album. One of the best in the series. If MM doesnt continue, this was certainly an exlaimation point to go out on!

I would love to hear this with Kevin and Steve's mastering on a 45 rpm lp. But I really am not complaining. Great music and very good sound on the 33!

Wahoo! and The Golden 8 are really great later day MM titles.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I second that. I really can hear the difference in the ease of presentation that you get with 45s vs the 33s. I would have particularly been happy with a 45 of Yahoo!, but The Golden 8 also sounds a bit tight compared to all the 45s in the series I own.

Michel Jazz, johnnypaddock and mpayan like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For some reason this series just doesnt feel complete.

I know it sounds greedy but..

Does anyone else feel if they did just one more run of 6-12 new titles we could say "Ok now you guys have topped everything!"

And it could come to a closed BN nirvana.

The titles have been mentioned that many would like to see. Here is to hoping for at least another handful for a great slamdunk closure!

25. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I'll never have closure unless they reissue the entire BN catalog. So get to work people... I want a lot MOAR reissues! Jeff

BendBound and Fender Relic like this.