Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

I am just catching up with this thread after a busy 2 weeks at work. I am sat listening to IM whist I type this, as above my copy is beautiful and noise free however, beware it's is also full of incredable music and playing.

2. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

Yes please whilst the $ is on the floor thanks to your new president :D

3. taynos

taynos Forum Resident

I follow MM on Facebook and they just shared a Herbie Hancock Takin Off release. Is this the 2x 45rpm release from '13 or a newer 33rpm? When I search for the title on MM site under shop/33rpm it's not there.

If this is an announcement of a new 33rpm release, is there a list of the last batch of 33rpms' to be released. Thanks for your insight.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The link within the post takes you to the 45rpm.

taynos likes this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They periodically post about past releases to try to drum up sales for inventory on hand. There are no new releases announced, and any expectations for same are largely speculative, though MM have told several people "you never know . . ." by email. But yeah, there's only a 45 for that title.

taynos likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Good morning to all:

[​IMG]

7. Gabe Walters

Now playing:

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban

A recent acquisition. I know this record has several passionate fans here, but I just can't get into the first disc with the octet session. "Potato" Valdes' playing is too busy for my tastes. The second disc with the sextet session, essentially an early Jazz Messengers date, is much more to my liking.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's funny. I prefer the 1st disc. It's more fun. I love the energy.

Satchidananda likes this.
  9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Love that album!

jlrchrds likes this.
  10. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

'Patato'

11. Gabe Walters

"Pa-tah-to"

But seriously, the liner notes spell it "Potato." Not that I think it's terribly important.

12. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Like many here, I am a big fan of Blue Note but I find their spelling of his nickname "Potato" perfectly symbolic of their roster's take on Latin Music. When I'm in a charitable mood, I hear it as USA musician's impressions of another culture, like Duke. But oftentimes, it just sounds incorrect or like "pretend music"
    NP: Cuero Na' Ma - Jose Mangual, Jr.

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

So has anyone picked up the Wahoo LP and compared it with prior issues? Is it confirmed that the Music Matters Wahoo LP is in fact from the master tape? And how does it sound compared to the old McMaster CD?

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Music Matters doesn't cut from anything but Tape. Now, which tape might be up for debate as I am sure there's a Master and a Backup / Safety for a lot of stuff.

But, all MM releases are AAA cut from the actual tape.

e.s. likes this.
  15. monkboughtlunch

Thanks - but that wasn't my question. :) The question is: did they use the master tape for Wahoo and how does it sound?

16. Gabe Walters

MM refer to "one lost master tape" here: Music Matters Jazz Subscription Sign-Up Page

They later confirmed by email to someone in this winding thread that the lost master tape refers to Wahoo.

17. monkboughtlunch

Thanks - so how does the Wahoo master tape transfer sound on this MM reissue? Anyone analyzed it? Is it a big improvement vs the prior McMaster and Japanese CDs from a copy tape? Does the master have tape dropouts?

18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Don't worry about anything and just get it. It sounds great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bryce, sassi, scottpaul_iu and 5 others like this.
  19. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

does anyone in the UK know of any stockists of MM titles? I've bought a couple from a UK based seller (Scott Nagle Audio) but they're 50 quid a pop..and 80 odd notes for the more highly sought after records. interestingly, the AP titles from this seller are generally only a fiver or so mark up. hmmmm

it's actually cheaper to ship two records direct from MM than getting them direct from the UK. that's including shipping! that can't be right...

20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

This is on my set list for tomorrow along with a new Modern Jazz Quartet of Lonely Woman. Edit: sorry Lonely Woman is not an MM.

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've been on the fence for a while on whether to order the MM 33 of GG's Idle Moments and KB's Midnight Blue, vs either the AP 45 or AP SACD of those albums. Despite reading the numerous mentions from folks here concerning noisy MM 33 pressings of Idle Moments, I decided to take a chance and just ordered the MMs of both albums (I also threw in the MM 45 of GG's Solid just for good measure). Here's to hoping I made a good decision and get a good press.

Bryce and Fender Relic like this.
  22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

There is simply no comparison between the Midnight Blue SACD vs the MM 33. I played them for other people too and there was unanimity in favor of the MM 33.

mikeyt likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Do you have the Idle Moments MM33? Seems like this one is the one mostly mentioned as having noisy pressing issues on this thread.

24. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Idle Moments => Absolutely noise free with me. Beautiful pressing. On the Midnight Blue you can hear some pre-echo in certain parts...
    I'm wondering if somebody has compared it with the AP 45rpm. I'm doubting to buy it as well.

25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I ll check again but I do not recall any important issues.