Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Waterloo is likely getting the recent 33s directly from Music Matters since, to my knowledge, those are not available from the distributors. But many of the 45s are still available through the normal distribution channels. My local shop can get them from the one-stop it orders from, and I would expect Acoustic Sounds does the same. They recently had about 20 or so MM titles on backorder status, and they've been able to replenish stock on them. The most popular titles are likely sold out at the distributor, and Acoustic Sounds no longer lists many of them.

2. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

It could be, but I occasionally run into Hayes (orders jazz titles for Waterloo) and he has told me more than once in the past that he was about to place an order with MM and would I like any MM45's. I'm fairly confident he obtains any of the in-print MM titles directly from MM. But I'll ask him next time I see him.

3. Gabe Walters

Yeah, that makes sense for Waterloo, since they're dealing directly with MM on the 33s already. But again, many of the 45s are still available through the normal distribution channels.

4. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I would imagine MM is trying to clear out some of the boxes that have apparently been stacked floor-to-ceiling in Ron Rambach's home for years now (according to posts earlier in this thread).

5. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So despite saying they were no longer using other retailers, citing various reasons, they quite clearly are?

6. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Maybe if they reduced the prices back to what they were originally they might sell a few more? One particular album that once was $39.95 is now $64

7. Gabe Walters

In this one known case, yeah. But it's not that big a departure. As far as I know, they still aren't selling the recent 33s through distributors. Waterloo is dealing directly with Music Matters, just as you or I would. It would be interesting to know whether Waterloo is able to order at wholesale by some special arrangement with MM, or whether it's buying at retail and passing these onto customers at its own cost as a service. But unless Waterloo is willing to say, we probably won't get an answer to that question.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

That appears to be the case to me, as well. If MM is re-offering certain titles to retailers -- and, remember, we're speculating here -- it looks like they're still holding back the titles that they said would remain exclusives from them.

9. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

A UK shop I use is advertising Horace Parlan Us Three, Freddie Hubbard Hub Tones and Johnny Coles Little Johnny C

All priced at £75.99 That's approx $100

Are these recent releases?

10. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I'd be buying up a lot of the 45's if the postage wasn't so expensive. I mocked up 2 titles for an order and the postage was nearly as expensive as the records, add on the customs charges, it makes it extremely difficult (and dissapointing) to collect them.

Shpongle likes this.
  11. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Let's not forget that one of the reasons they were no longer distributing to retailers was to avoid those retailers hiking up the price......so to see Music Matters selling an album that was originally $39.95 for $65 is annoying to say the least.

Lucca90, AaronW and AnalogJ like this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Speaking of finding MM releases at brick and mortar shops, I've been incredibly lucky finding used clean MM 33RPM copies of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue and Dexter Gordon's Go. I'm not sure about the others but I'd hazard a guess that finding used copies from the label is almost as rare as hen's teeth.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, what's going to happen is that people buy the albums without having heard them. Then if it doesn't really grab them, they'll trade them in.

14. Gabe Walters

Those are part of the six that were released at the tail end of 2015, after MM announced it was ending its distribution model and would now be selling direct to consumer, yes. I would guess the shop is buying them at retail and increasing the price to recoup its expenses, and perhaps make some profit as well.

15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is also into the profit taking. I bought a Tina Brooks - Back To The Tracks 45 in May for $42.50 with what ever discount that is and now its selling for $120.00 and not eligible for discount!

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

Yeah, but they've kept prices down for longer than most other retailers on these. I noted in a recent post on this thread that they were finally running low on many and raising prices for the first time. Trust me--and my wallet. :)

17. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Would it be correct to assume that the higher the price means the limited quantity available? I have all the 33's and only a few of the 45's, so if I were certain that some titles were about to dossapear , I might take the plunge.

18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Man, I am glad I was a subscriber and got all the 33 rpm albums as they were released.

asindc likes this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Probably. This is pretty opaque. I've done well comparing prices across multiple sites. Even recently, I've been able to get lots of MM releases, several years old, for original price or less.

sunspot likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

And keep in mind that MM likely has the option to repress many of the 45 titles, assuming it never did press the full 2500 limit on many of them before. Titles that are out of stock at various retailers may not yet be fully out of print.

sunspot likes this.
  21. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Forigve me if this should be in another thread elsewhere but I was looking at the Acousitc Sounds web page regarding their Blue Note series (sets 1 & 2). It says that they "may only be purchased as full, numbered sets and availability is limited", but scrolling down on the same page it seems that you can buy them individually?

22. Gabe Walters

I just happened to read that recently, too. In context, what they mean is that if you want the whole set, with the same limited edition number on each title, you must purchase them together; you may no longer subscribe monthly. That's all. If you don't care about getting them all with the same number, of course you can buy them individually.

sunspot likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Dizzy Reece - Star Bright

I recently picked this up, one of the last few MM releases on the 45 format and, in my opinion, one of the best sounding. RVG is infamous for his piano sound, but here, Wynton Kelly sounds more present and full bodied than is typical. Dizzy Reece was a fine trumpeter destined for relative obscurity, but the crack band includes Hank Mobley, Paul Chambers, and Art Taylor. Well worth picking up in a 20 percent off sale, for sure.

Bryce, AaronW and mikeyt like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Well, it finally happened. I got my Elusive Disc order today and I've just joined the MM 45 Club with Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings :uhhuh: The thought of flipping/cleaning records more often never appealed to me but I knew I'd love the sound and I do! This title was always first on my list for a 45 try because I like how the songs lay out and the music is hypnotic. This could become an obsession if I find an original 33.3 version of this to compare with and I find the 45 noticeably better.
    :yikes:

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Think of the greater inconvenience it is to go a jazz club. Now, you couldn't see most of these cats anyway. But think of the costs and time of travel it takes to get yourself to a club (and y'all should do that from time to time - long live LIVE music!). Getting up 2 extra times to flip the record to listen to 40 minutes of music is worth it that comes with the much greater musical impact and enjoyment of the 45s, isn't it?