Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You might want to know that there are more than a few. Look back and see how many 'likes' I have received with those posts. And what you won't see are the private messages in support from those who are tired of getting bullied and beat up upon for expressing anything negative. So when someone new posts with a newfound experience of the price manipulation, I'm going to rise in support. Again, the product itself is largely terrific. It has been numerous questionable customer service procedures that have many scratching their heads at the very least.

Back to the music.

2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When talking about his bow work, did you mean to type "infamous"? :)

Chambers' bow work is generally disliked by many (most?) Jazz fans.

Eigenvector and mpayan like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

No, of course not. I believe he's well known and widely honored for it. It's cool if you disagree.

4. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

What do jazz fans know anyway? Shhheeeeess. :D

5. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

This is what I've always thought myself. A "labor of love" is what Rambach called it. I'm glad he and others at Music Matters love the music at least as much as I do because if they didn't, there is no way in hell they would have dealt with the business side of things as long as they did.

Bryce, btf1980, Gabe Walters and 4 others like this.
  6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

+1 to this and to the post you referenced.
    I've posted a few other pleas for folks to get a bigger perspective and put the situation in its larger, proper context.
    Some folks double-down on their position when they are given evidence to the contrary.
    And the "distributors mishandling the product" situation was indeed the truth. They were shipping the lps improperly, not removing the lps from the jacket (etc), and MM "ate" those defects. So, they decided to eliminate the distributor and handle it themselves. Makes sense.
    You know who make me made sometimes? Comcast. JPMorgan Chase. A million and one other companies. Ron once talked my ear off about getting the color palette just right on Mobley Roll Call. He sent me a test pressing "just 'cause". Once, he sent two replacement covers with no questions asked. He just muttered some invective about Acoustic Sounds and told me he'd take of it. Yep, he's a real audiophile jazz peddling huckster, eh? :rolleyes:

Bryce, BendBound, btf1980 and 8 others like this.
  7. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Just put 25 of the 45 rpm in my cart at Acoustic Sounds- 20 percent off so seems like a bargain. Just need to pull the trigger before it's too late! Prices on 4 went up while in my cart !

Cassius and theron d like this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Acoustic sounds or Elusive Disc?

9. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds as they allow the 20 percent off to be used on Music Matters while Elusive Disc does not. I pulled the trigger just now getting most of the 45 rpm in my cart for 40 dollars with the sale- cheaper than many of the 33 are going for.

10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Really? Just checked and AS doesn't seem to discount any of the MM records when using the code.

11. Gabe Walters

Several are eligible, and several aren't.

12. I went on a little shopping spree this weekend and added 3 Horace Parlan 45s and 1 Horace 33, along with Ike Quebec 33, and the Ray Charles Speakers Corner... How do y'all like the Horace titles? I have some 45s and some 33s from Music Matters / Blue Note and I tend to favor the 33s a bit more.

johnt23 likes this.
  13. Gabe Walters

I love the Horace Parlan titles. One of the best personal discoveries of this series, for me. He has a unique playing style, in part because he had to overcome a disability that affected some of his fingers. There's also a lot of church in his playing.

googlymoogly, mikeyt and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  14. That's good to hear! My wife and I just spent 5 nights in the hospital welcoming our first baby girl into the world and I discovered a big Horace compilation on Apple Music that I streamed most of the time here, so I wanted to buy the titles in their ultimate versions. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Bryce, Satchidananda and s m @ like this.
  15. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I think most of the 45 rpm are eligible but not the 33 rpm editions.

16. Gabe Walters

Congrats! My young son heard a lot of "Footprints" when he was an infant and has heard a lot of jazz since. Best wishes to you and your family.

mikeyt and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  17. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Parlan is one on my favorites. I remember way back in 2007 getting the 45rpm of "Us Three" and that was the first pill that hooked me on MM (wasn't a fan of the first Blakey MM release).
    Swinging, head bobbing music. Parlan, Harwood and Tucker are one of the tightest rhythm sections of all time.

mikeyt and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  18. Thanks, I'm excited for all of it!

19. Gabe Walters

I'm sure this blog post has been shared before, but it's worth revisiting: Music Matters and the Blue Note Oddballs

It draws attention to some of the under appreciated titles in the Music Matters program and, by extension, the Blue Note catalog. To this list, I would add Clifford Jordan's Cliff Craft. I've recently picked these up and am enjoying them, especially the John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell record. Fans of Midnight Blue should get it.

I've been on a bit of a spree lately, and I've more or less given myself over to the judgment of Ron and Joe as curators of Blue Note. I'm getting records now that, two or three years ago, I never would have thought I'd like. And I do like them. Even albums like these, where I wasn't familiar with the leaders, feature top-notch playing from everyone, especially the crack bands made up of Blue Note stalwarts like Sonny Clark, Horace Silver, Art Farmer, Art Taylor, Paul Chambers, and so on. If I'd been aware of Music Matters back in 2007 (and not an impoverished student at that time), I might've become a subscriber to the 45 series. If you take a chance on any of the lesser known titles, you'll likely be richly rewarded.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agreed. My big surprise was getting Gil Melle's Patterns In Jazz. I wasn't familiar with him at all but I looked at the instruments involved and I trusted Ron and Joe and I ended up lovng the album and ended up acquiring several other Gil Melle albums after that though they were not Music Matters reissues unfortunately. I've discovered several albums by artists I did know as well. They did a wonderful job even if they did more war horses than I would have preferred but those sales aloud them to take chances on Andrew Hill, Larry Young and Eric Dolphy. The Dolphy ended up selling well so that was a nice reward. When it's all said and done I have enjoyed these nine or so years. Was it really 2007 when they started? It seems like yesterday.

Bryce, s m @, BendBound and 2 others like this.
  21. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend a sleeve for these jackets?

I ordered the Ultimate Outer 5.0 and Deluxe Oversized Ultimate Outer 5.0 from Sleeve City. The Ultimate Outer 5.0 is a little too snug and the Deluxe Oversized Ultimate Outer 5.0 seems to fit well, except the record doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the jacket and I'm a little worried that it might end up damaging the bottom corner of the jackets because it gets tight towards the bottom.

I know I'm being OCD here. I just want to protect my investment.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  22. Gabe Walters

The ones my local shop sells fit well. I ask what they use next time I'm in.

Twinsfan007 and beverett like this.
  23. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Would this one be considered under the radar? Got a numbered edition at 20% off recently and REALLY like it!

[​IMG]

24. Gabe Walters

It is a great release and nice recording, but I would have to say it's not under the radar. The Penguin Guide to Jazz has listed it in their Core Collection and rated it four out of four stars, and Kenny Dorham was a well-known trumpeter and founding member of the Jazz Messengers. He deserved more acclaim than he got, but he recorded on numerous famous records and didn't disappear as quickly as some of the leaders mentioned in that article. Dorham was frustrated that his own leader dates didn't take off, but we're talking more like by 1963-64, after he'd been on the scene and had a long professional career.

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm just surprised it's still available (for discount no less) at this late date. Fantastic album. In fact, I think I prefer it over the Art Blakey 'Birdland' & 'Cafe Bohemia' albums. I'm still discovering many of these titles, and I'm very pleased that I found this one.

e.s. likes this.