Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

No problems with my 33 pressing, but always buy the 45 when given the choice. :agree:

Guitarded likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    mikeyt, rxcory and Fritz G23 like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The 45. I had both and the 45 is the winner. More spacious and there's a greater ease to it.

rxcory, recstar24 and misterclean like this.
  4. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Which series was this? The recent mono series?

5. Ok, thank you!

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I don't know about you guys but I'm having some terrible withdrawl symptoms. With the loss of Music Matters in general, Analogue Productions loss of their planned Contemporary reissues and MoFi no longer doing Miles Davis (let alone Jazz) reissues the state of audiophile Jazz reissues is pretty pitiful. Sure, Impex, Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure have their random excellent titles but the loss of the "Big Three" has me concerned for the state of the music when it comes to our beloved Jazz campaigns.

It's not like there's nothing to drop coin on, between a recent local record show and RSD I dropped ~$800 on mostly Jazz vinyl but........

Is there anything to look forward to on the horizon? And why oh why can't MoFi do more Jazz dammit!? (How about an organized protest at the offices of Music Direct?)

Bryce, rxcory and Jerry James like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AP's loss of the Contemporary label reissues? I didn't hear about this. What happened?

9. AxiomAcoustics

Here's part of the story:
    The Jazz Beat

10. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

11. AnalogJ

I can only hope that Concord's WOW reissue is a failure and they'll give up, giving it back to AP.

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Mofi is still going with Porgy and Miles Smiles as far as I know.

13. AxiomAcoustics

Chad is a bigger man than I. I would have told them that I'm not pressing your damn record and you should check out a fine establishment named URP. I'm not begrudging those who pick this up, I just think they did a really, and I wish I had a more eloquent word here, did a ****ty thing to him. And destroyed a potential new series for AP. That is a disservice to everyone.

14. AxiomAcoustics

Eh?

15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Mofi is making porgy and Bess and miles smiles

16. AxiomAcoustics

Where have you seen/heard this? This issue has been previously litigated to the negatory AFAIK.

17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Hmm, I had only heard of them doing Miles Smiles, and I preordered both the vinyl and SACD and have not received notice of a cancellation. Did they announce Porgy & Bess too, and if so, where?

18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Latest MoFi catalog ;)

Satchidananda and rxcory like this.
  19. rxcory

OMR banner or MFSL banner? Miles Smiles was the MFSL banner.

20. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  21. rxcory

Yes, huge difference. The 75th Anniv. reissues are digitally sourced and frankly don’t sound very good. There have been reports of pressing issues, and the artwork is not expanded.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I think it might come down to CDs from Japan for physical media and hi res downloads for domestic quality releases. Outside of niche labels like Impex, SC & PP of course.

23. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

You get what you pay for. I see these as inexpensive reissues for new Blue Note fans or someone just getting into vinyl. When I first got a bunch of these, that was definitely me on both parts. Better than Europe grey label junk from Wax Time, not close to MM or AP, but the price reflects that.

The covers are flat and plain not glossy thick, and obviously not a gatefold. I've found the mastering is decent, but again, nowhere near the high quality of MM. The 5 titles I upgraded from BN75 to MM were a big jump in sound - fuller low end, trumpets natural and not too bright, and the BN75s have more pre echo from cutting the grooves closer, maybe to prevent IGD?

The vinyl quality is the biggest issue - all over the map from no issues to noisy or warped or a bubble that causes a jump in playing. The quality of Idle Moments drove me nuts and is what led me to MM. However, my copies of Soul Station and Workout are clean and flat and no issues, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade those to MM.

For me - if they're not an all time favorite title, it may be worth trying the Blue Note 75th series, but get it from Amazon or somewhere easy to return. And if you wait on amazon, a lot of the titles drop down to $10-12 occasionally. I've got about 6 or 7 on my amazon price watch. For example I like those Herbie Hancock albums, but not $85 like them. For $10 I'd be willing to try the BN75.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  24. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I got rid of every 75th anniversary release I purchased. The pressings were universally awful. The sound quality was not on par with some of the cd releases from the 90s

rxcory likes this.
  25. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Why buy digitally sourced vinyl like this when you can stream hi-res MQA from Tidal?