Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

there’s times streaming is all I need. There’s times I really want that $60 audiophile deluxe version. And there’s times I want something in between, a physical product for $10, and vinyl mastered from hi res files can be done well.

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  2. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks!

3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Found both in the new MD catalog (see below). Where did you preorder these? I searched both the MD and MoFi sites and nothing comes up, except for the Speakers Corner at MD.

I'm guessing that you mean the latest Music Direct catalog? Not MoFi? Just found mine under a 24" stack of Stereophile and Absolute Sound mags, the little lady must have hidden it on me. :) Sure enough.

I can't read the banners on either but if the "Miles Smiles" is an MFSL banner could it be sourced from the Wilder remix he did from the 4-track tapes for the "Freedom Jazz Dance" boot? Like was done for KoB? There's an odd credit on that set that lists him as the remix and remmastering engineer but also lists a credit for "Tape Transfers" by a different engineer, also at Battery. So did Wilder do a 4>2 mixdown on to tape that got transfered into a DAW for the Boot and the tape will be used by MoFi for "Miles Smiles"?

4. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

Is there much difference between MM and AP pressing of Herbie Hancock for example?

5. AxiomAcoustics

I'll not have it I say! I hope we're not witnessing the death of AAA Jazz reissues, at least on a consistent basis. I support and enjoy the Impex, SC and PP reissues but they're not the same quality as the "Big 3", although Impex can do a pretty good job on packaging/presentation compared to the other two. And we still get random ORG titles, but they too do not have the quality overall of MM/AP/MoFi.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm wondering about various reasons for this, esp considering what was done in that Contemporary deal - which I read as an attempt to cut corners and max out profits at the expense of the music. Then that Blue Note box stuff (including scarf and whatever other accessories you can wear while listening) It seems like that's the way these things are going domestically at this point. Hopefully it's temporary but who knows.

7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Impex is right up there with MM and AP. They are heads and tails above MFSL/MoFi in my opinion.

jlrchrds and Eigenvector like this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

I know there's been a serious clamp-down on master tapes by the owners, and since everything is now pretty much "archived" to digital files they see no need to send/ship precious tapes around when they can send out a file if rights are granted.

I believe that there's little concern and knowledge among the general vinyl-buying public about sources. We live in a rarefied little world here. When I'm standing in line on RSD for hours and a group gets discussing vinyl and HiFi I always bring up the analog vs. digital source issue and inform folks that most of what they will be buying that day are digital cuts and they look at me as though I've just declared myself Christ and a hush befalls the crowd. No one has a clue, and few care. And I guess that's OK, but I think it's important to know.

(I've commented on that Was BN box campaign elsewhere, somewhat negatively, and I wear scarves!. I wouldn't mind a nice Blue Note bottle opener though. ;) )

9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'd like to see a nice jazz sweater in the next installment, maybe a pack of jazz cigarettes. I don't smoke, so I'd just hold it in my hand while listening.

10. Orange T-Rex

Orange T-Rex Forum Resident

Perhaps accompanied by a personalized replica of a New York City Cabaret Card.

SteelyTom and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

Roy has you covered :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Fritz G23, Bobby Buckshot and rxcory like this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Has anybody noticed some 3sec distortion at the 33rpm of Dohram's Whistle Stop (side 4)?

Thanks.

13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Preordered by calling Music Direct. Same thing I had to do for the One-Steps, which I learned the hard way on Abraxas: you must preorder before they are actually released, because there will be ZERO available on release day, save for $600 copies from people who kindly bought two. Yes, I know Miles Smiles is the MFSL banner, which has me worried, at least on the LP since my original mono and stereo LPs sound fab. Was hoping to finally get a nice digital version of the original mix; if it's the Wilder remix again then I'll probably just end up crying in my sake glass.

mikeyt and Guitarded like this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

last track, side 2, sorry.

15. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I'm going to politely disagree with you here. I'm still shellshocked over the awful Impex remix & reissue of E.S.P. Based on that I'd put them and Speakers Corner at the same level, which is much better than the typical label-reissued stuff, and approaching audiophile, but not at the AP or MM level. Once I got original pressings of E.S.P., Miles Smiles and Jimmy Smith's Bashin' it was game over for Impex & Speakers Corner as far as I was concerned. Nice enough stuff, but not an improvement over the originals. AP and MM, however, definite improvement over the originals.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

Makes sense, I always order from these places (MD/ED/AS) by calling, establishes a nice relationship. Odd though that they do not even list it on the website. Wonder if it will really happen? You're well-sorted with those OP's either way.

I rather like the remix used on the "Freedom" boot, sounds great and IMO it's the best sounding digital versions of those tunes I've heard. Why couldn't Wilder do just as good a mastering job on his previous versions? Either way that would possibly explain the MFSL banner.

rxcory likes this.
  17. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I would take the Music Matters over anything when it comes to Blue Note. NOBODY does Blue Note better. Ron, Joe and Kevin are both artists and masters of their craft. Music Matters was, is, and will be the gold standard for any reissue company to try and beat (and I sincerely doubt anyone else will even come close now that the big record companies are shutting off access to master tapes and only allowing digital copies - for the most part).

18. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Those MM pressings sound amazing. I’ve also had a lot of luck with original Blue Note Liberty pressings from 1970/71, black and blue west coast label. Liberty repressed a fair amount of classics at their west coast plant during that year and the sound quality is fantastic. Can usually be found for $15-20, much less than a MM. No knock on MM, tho - I have a few and they’re phenomenal. But there are cheaper alternatives!

Defrance, wellers73, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I can't comment on E.S.P. as I don't own that one.
    But the Blakey, Monk, Brubeck and the Michael LeGrande titles I have are flawless pressings with great sound.

I am eger to hear their Friday Night in San Francisco.

rxcory likes this.
  20. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Are these new pressings or RVG leftovers but at a different plant?

21. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Weren't the Classics Blue Note reissues from a few years back AAA?

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I hope this is true! Miles Smiles is my favorite Miles and I’ve been desperately looking for a decent vinyl version for a long time now.

Back on topic - MM rules hard but I’ve had great luck with Sonics and price on the liberty repressings.

23. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

For 95% of them, the metal stampers that bear the VAN GELDER stamp were used. Liberty must have dug them up and shipped them west to repress the records. I don’t believe they were remastered. I’ve only seen a couple that didn’t have the VAN GELDER stamp, and I won’t buy them.

One to avoid for sure, is Hank Mobley “Soul Station.” I think it’s recut in fake stereo and sound awful.

Fritz G23 likes this.
  24. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Yep. I only buy the ones with the Van Gelder stamps. Wasn't sure if those CA ones were a different mastering that improved things or not.

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Interesting... I sold my original 1A/1A pressing after purchasing the Impex E.S.P. I felt that it was an improvement over the original.

The Impex version of Straight, No Chaser was incredibly well done. Right up there with Music Matters in my opinion. That's not to say they are on the same level as an overall record label, but they are definitely capable of top quality.