Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

It could be my system and/or personal preference, but I found the Impex E.S.P. to be bright and sterile, and disliked how the remix highlighted and exacerbated, really, those clicking noises. Once I got the original stereo 2-eye I was a much happier camper. I can totally understand why someone would like the Impex, because the highs aren’t rolled-off like they are on the original, it’s more detailed, the vinyl is dead quiet and the pressing quality is top-notch. But again, it didn’t “wow” me as being an improvement over the original in the way that APs and MMs are; it was just different.

2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

That's a great point actually... the Music Matters reissues are far superior to the original pressings. Although I preferred the Impex version of E.S.P., it was certainly not a huge leap in quality like MM and AP reissues usually are.

mikeyt and rxcory like this.
  3. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I'll chime in with my two cents as far as MM vs original goes. Obviously people will have their own personal preferences, but I think there is a contingent of people who love the original pressings is because that was all that was available for so long. It's what you get used to, that's how Blue Note should sound. You know what I mean?

I'm not going to claim one version is better than the other, but I've never heard the "naked" master tapes so I have to trust the opinion of those that have which ones are more faithful to the original sound of the room. But, I'm thankful that we have options and we can have this debate. The MM present a different perspective on something we all love and cherish. Done with the amount of respect and attention to detail we all agree they deserve.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the arguments about what is better is fruitless. They're both different, and because of that they're both great.

AaronW, timzigs, SAMAUL and 2 others like this.
  4. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Yes. DiskUnion.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Totally with you 100%. I'm glad there's some high-quality, dependable pressings of this music.

6. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

They were. And they sound damn good too. (I have quite a few.) But they don't sound as good as the Music Matters (mayhap due to being mastered on all solid state gear by Bernie Grundman?)

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They were advertised as being tube cut, I thought.

8. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

If I remember correctly it was only the monos that were tube cut.

9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Anyone have a link to id'ing this series? May be a good option as the MMs go up and you want to round out your collection.

10. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

What does tube cut mean?

11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

It means the record was cut using tube-based equipment. Since the equipment used to cut records was all tube-based until sometime around the late '60s, many people think that tube-based systems better represent the vintage sound of the original recordings than solid state cutting equipment.

GreatTone and guidedbyvoices like this.
  12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The classics series are pretty easily identifiable, the hype sticker clearly says it’s from classics records as well as the gatefold cover too I believe. They pop up pretty often in the used sections of decent record stores with jazz sections, and they pop up here as well on the for sale section every once in awhile.

MikeJedi and Fritz G23 like this.
  13. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Any suggestions on which titles are worth picking up that aren't done by MM??

14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Also, tube-cut records will generally sound warmer but may not have the clarity that solid-state cut records will. There's lots of discussions around the forum about the two, it's an interesting subject to dive into especially if you plan on upgrading your system in the future.

rxcory, BendBound and Fritz G23 like this.
  15. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Oh, I know about about vintage home amplifiers and tubes. I do have a few years on me. :) My present amp has a tube stage in it.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Today at a local thrift store a sign said "No Tube TVs." When I told the staff that tube TVs were the best, really warm viewing, they all laughed.

rxcory and Twinsfan007 like this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Just picked up the Japanese King of Sam Rivers, Fuchsia Swing Song. While it sounds pretty good, I can't help wondering whether the MM version would better bring out the timbre of the horns. I love the somewhat "grainy" up-front sound of his saxophone on this, and could possibly consider buying my first MM45 if the sound quality on this record is heads above the rest. Anyone care to comment?

Fender Relic likes this.
  18. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Most of the Classics Records material that I've picked up has been top-notch, with the possible exception of Sonny Rollins, Vol. 2. I believe a fair amount of the CR reissues are mono, and there are some cases where I just prefer the stereo spread of the instruments. Lou Donaldson, Sunny Side Up, was one where I much preferred the stereo Connoisseur to the mono CR. I seem to recall some of the Donald Byrd and Dexter Gordon records on CR sounding exceptionally good. Coleman Hawkins Meets Ben Webster floored me the fist time I heard it....a really great-sounding CR, IMO. My suggestion is to grab up the CR titles you like over at Acoustic Sounds before they run out.

Twinsfan007 and Fritz G23 like this.
  19. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

I have quite a few Blue Note King pressings. I think they sound phenomenal, and they’re dead quiet. Probably a bit less dynamic than the MM reissues, not as lively. But for (generally) half the price of MM, that’s a deal I’m happy to strike. I haven’t ever paid more than $30 for a King pressing.

They’re also cooler to own, I think. Many of those King pressings are first Japanese issues, so there is some historical significance to them.

AaronW, mpayan and Fritz G23 like this.
  20. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Are you talking about Blue Note reissues on Classic Records?

If so, I’d advise against these. There is a ton of variability in the pressing quality. I’ve bought and sold half a dozen. All of them played with distortion. For the money, there are better options.

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I have this one in my pile. I'll move it to the top and get something back to you. I'm looking forward to it because the sax is upfront and center!

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I don’t own any nor have heard any, was only commenting on the previous poster that inquired about them. Every one I’ve seen in a store has been expensive enough where I said “I’ll just get the MM or AP”.

23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I like the Kings but there is no "probably" about the dynamics. They are compressed quite a bit and the midrange is jacked up. Personally, I find them very lively with all that midrange juice. I've even wondered if they tacked on some reverb because they have so much air but it's hard to tell for sure.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have at least 50 classic records Blue Note tiles, not one has distortion.

AaronW, jlrchrds, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have the Sam Rivers Fuchsia SS MM 45 and it's great. When I hear the horns I shout....timbre! Never had another version to compare to but you'll dig it, of that I'm sure.

timzigs likes this.