Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

I’m not saying they’re aren’t dynamic or lively. I’m saying they aren’t as dynamic and lively as the MM pressings. That’s all.

2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not sure where/why you are hearing the distortion. The 20 or so copies I have do not have distortion. Most of my CR records sound great. They may be EQ-d a little differently than the Blue Notes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

DeRosa likes this.
  3. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I have most most of the classical and jazz classic records releases on vinyl. I had a handful of later noisy 200gr pressings. The 180 gram don’t sound quite as open as the 200 gram, but the 180s seem to have been rock solid in pressing quality. Acoustic sounds has some of the BN mono pressings for cheap. Capucin Swing and Open Sesame are really good in mono. I don’t think I purchased a bad BN 200gr from classic, classical pressings... yes a few although with the Everest reissue they simply needed good cleaning. I wouldn’t pass classic records reissues for a good price. Jeff

Bryce likes this.
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I was just saying the Kings are not that dynamic. They probably have at least about 3db of compression on them compared with the MMs.

But due to what seems was quite a lot of midrange boosting, the King versions are lively. They have a ton of air.

I prefer the MM versions but the Kings have a certain sound which is attractive in its own right.

Dai likes this.
  5. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Ahh, yeah that's what I should have specified - I've owned 6 or 7 of the later 200gr versions, and they all played with distortion. Good to know those earlier 180gr ones sound so great, though. I'd love to eventually own a few. Sorry guys, didn't mean to spread misinformation.

6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Never had a Classic (200 Gram or 180 Gram) that played with distortion.

Of course RVG recorded in the red quite a bit on some sessions. Trumpet, in particular, on those Neumann mics. Drums on louder hits as well.

AaronW likes this.
  7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have had a couple early 200g that did.

I have also had some original Blue Notes that did as well.

8. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I would emphasize the distorted classic 200gr copies I had were the exception not the norm. I went through 3 copies of the Everest Rite Of Spring before I cleaned a copy excessively... that did it. I know this is the MM BN thread but those Everest reissues are REALLY STELLAR! Actually so is the classic 200gr BN reissue of swing swang swinging. I listen to it as often as the MM stereo reissue. I really like the mono classic records BN reissues. Jeff

Guitarded likes this.
  9. As a birthday treat picked up Andrew Hill’s “Point of Departure” and Hank Mobley’s “Workout” 33s today. Gonna clean soon and give em a spin. Can’t turn away from this series even when I try... hahaha.

mikeyt, Twinsfan007, MikeJedi and 3 others like this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Happy birthday young feller. That's about the best gift one could receive for the special day.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  11. Truth be told I got a whole bunch of other stuff but those were the only two MM releases, :).

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Those are both fantastic.

Ryan_Pretzel and MikeJedi like this.
  13. Awesome! The Hill title has been on my list for a while... the other one is sorta a blind buy but I know it is legendary.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Hill is awesome yes, but workout is in my top 5 and a true classic. Musically I feel it betters Soulstation! Green is a monster.

day1953 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  15. Well I’m glad I picked it up then!

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I’ll second Workout over SoulStation.....

day1953, recstar24 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Donald Byrd’s cat walk landed today, and I’m convinced that anything that has duke pearson attached to it is gold. Oh and Byrd is great, absolute perfect technique on his horn, but man can duke write a tune.

I’d also like to add the world needs a little more bari sax in it.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

How's the stereo mix on that one? Is there hard left-right panning?

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

With the horns, yes. Everything else is normal, piano and bass in center and drums mostly in right channel

nosliw and mikeyt like this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I, too, bought The Cat Walk that same day! It was 25% off from my local audiophile shop with the total price being better than buying it online. I'll have to find the time to spin this one.

recstar24 likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love Workout. Always great to hear Grant green with different lineups

I’ll third that

22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Fourzeez

23. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

If you like the bari sax, check out Gil Melle's "Patterns in Jazz," on 45rpm from MM. Great music and fantastic sound.

recstar24, mikeyt and Guitarded like this.
  24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Might be my fav of the 'sleeper' MM Blue Notes.

johnnypaddock, theron d and GreatTone like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Will stream later today on Apple Music to check out!