Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I agree, one of my favorites.

My latest MM shipment arrived. Only double and triple dips. Decadent I know but I had to complete the series with the Midnight Blue and Speak no Evil on colored vinyl. They look and sound great.
    + Ready for Freddie, Search for the New Land and Mobley 1568 on 33rpm. Especially the Morgan is essential in my opinion.

Bryce and recstar24 like this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ready for Freddie on 33 sounds great of course. I started my jazz collection kind of avoiding trumpet heavy albums because they can really pierce sometimes. MM makes them warm and natural, and RFF is a great example.

wgb113, timzigs and PauGasmall like this.
  3. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Just reordered this one. First copy I got had some distortion in Crisis. But I love the album and MM did a great job with it.

Bryce likes this.
  4. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

I've read about problems with this one.

5. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Details?

6. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

The comment below and a couple other places I've read about problems with a particular track. I'll have to do more research that I don't have the patience for right now.

PauGasmall likes this.
  7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

My problem was distortion in the track Crisis, which I think is the last cut on the first side. Others have experienced similar issues on their copies. I sent it back because I had others to return because of noise issues, Whaoo and Mobley Sextet. Also had noise on two other Hubbard’s, Open Seasame and Hub tones. Ready is my favorite by him so I just ordered a replacement for that one.

JakiByard and PauGasmall like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

This came up a few months ago, I have a modest system but I listened to crisis and didn’t hear an issue.
    Here’s the discussion with more info from then
    Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

PauGasmall likes this.
  9. I finally got a chance to play my 33 "Point Of Departure" today. Wonderful record. (Excuse my jazz ignorance) but I feel this one splits the difference between mainstream "bop" type jazz and more "free" aspects of what would come later with jazz. I found it an enjoyable listen all the way through. Well pressed, although I may have a little tick or three during one of the solos on the first track (considering new vinyl I guess this is acceptable). It worked well as music to do chores to as I was cleaning house and ironing some things before a business trip. Highly recommended. Truth be told I was totally into this album strictly for the cover art. :)

Defrance and recstar24 like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Just took this for a spin, and glad I did. I'm not hearing any distortion whatesoever on Crisis (33 rpm). Bought it at the time of its release. Modest system here too, but sounds clean to me. Trumpet is so full and warm, like most MM releases. And man, when Elvin's solo kicks in, it's pure bliss.

guidedbyvoices and PauGasmall like this.
  11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Nice. I wouldn’t say I have a crazy set up, Technics SL 1200 mkII Ortofon Bronze through a Sansui 9090db. Listening on my Sony headphones at that time. This reminds me I need to email MM and see if they got my returns.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  12. PauGasmall

Spinning Tom Cat right now.

1) Morgan comes in so hard for his solo on 'Exotique,' that part gets me every time.
    2) This record is fuego.
    3) Definitely gonna watch the 'I Called Him Morgan' doc on Netflix this week. I didn't realize how great the reviews were, has anyone watched it?

guidedbyvoices, mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Didn’t realize the doc was on Netflix! Shall watch ASAP. I listened to a podcast that interviewed the director and it definitely has been on my radar. Thanks for the heads up!

(Listening to search for the new land as we speak)

wgb113 and PauGasmall like this.
  14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

ITS AMAZING!!! I found it a couple of months ago and had to watch it. I found it very interesting as I had no idea about Lee Morgan's backstory. I would definetly recommend!

PauGasmall likes this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Morgan doc is a must see for any fan. Sad, of course, but how could it not be?

Really well done.

wgb113 and PauGasmall like this.
  16. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The documentary is excellent with lots od period footage and photos adding to ambience. A compelling story of the rise, fall, redemption and strange tragic end of Lee Morgan's life.

PauGasmall likes this.
  17. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

spent way too much money on a few really overpriced MM releases last week (VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE! im sure they will eventually be even more expensive when they finally do go out of print). cant wait for them to arrive. first time ordering from MM direct.

yup, its fantastic. a must watch for sure.

18. PauGasmall

Edit: Second*** solo.

19. PauGasmall

Really enjoyed Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up, can't remember who rec'd it but just listened on Spotify. It seems remarkable to me how different it sounds from Gordon's albums that were recorded stateside. The mix seems completely different--the drums hit much harder right up front and the saxophone seems like it's almost off in the distance. I wonder if this was typical of albums recorded in Paris? Not sure I noticed it on Our Man In Paris.

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’m still waiting on my our man in Paris order from ED, but if it’s anything like the other non van Gelder I have, Golden eight, I’ll be mighty happy. For all of the praise van Gelder has received and rightfully so, to hear actual mic placement and sound staging and ambiance with levels not bordering on the red is a wonderful thing.

PauGasmall likes this.
  21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

To my ears, Our Man In Paris was recorded in a pretty similar fashion to RVG's approach. So Gordon's sax is a bit hot.

Btw, I think "bordering" is being very polite. :)

The thing is that I find the Blue Note recordings vary with this aspect quite a bit. To hear some folks tell it here you would think every recording had winds and drums in the red, but that simply isn't true to my ears. I do think he recorded wind instruments (particularly trumpet) a bit hotter than I'd like, and drums that were dynamic would sometimes get well into the red, but there are also plenty of moments throughout the Blue Note history that were recorded with pretty minimal distortion.

PauGasmall and recstar24 like this.
  22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I made a needle drop of the 33 MM of Ready For Freddie last night and took notice of the waveform, nearly every song you could see clearly when the instrumental solos bounced from left to right. It was pretty neat.

Still in search of a copy of the 45rpm of Hancock's Inventions & Dimensions. If anyone's looking to part with one shoot me a PM.

23. guidedbyvoices

Definitely watch the doc. I barely knew anything about him before hand, and at first was frustrated it wasn’t a great music doc - it didn’t really tell me what made him special. Watching it again though and realizing the focus is on him and his wife’s relationship, I loved it a lot more especially how the mood shots really made me feel like 60s Blue Note.

PauGasmall likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That was my frustration with it as well. I wanted more focus on Morgan and the music and less on the relationship. It’s a crazy story, for sure, but to my mind not as interesting as Morgan’s creation.

PauGasmall likes this.
  25. PauGasmall

What is meant by "in the red"? Sorry, audiophile noob here.