Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think the album is worth it for his take on Scrapple from the Apple, and I really like his take on Willow Weep for Me, feels like a crime drama.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

Agreed, Blue Train and Idle Moments were my first buys, and convinced me to invest in more titles. Both are miles above the BN75s I had first and are flawless pressings, lifelike sound that puts me in the room.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

wow, your collection on the shelf is impressive!!!!

5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The jacket reproduction from AP do not look anywhere as good as the Music Matters version, plus the jacket cardboard material is not as good either.

Don't know how good they sounded though but the consensus says that the MM 33RPM is the best sounding (other than the original pressing?) and is also a proper mono sound to boot!

6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This was the only AAA stereo version available in the past years, mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. It's sounds better than the (mono) MM in my opinion. It's OOP since a few months and very expensive now.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I've been onboard with Music Matters from Day 1. Thankful to have all the titles.

8. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Spinning my copy of Our Man In Paris for the first time right now. Side 1 was great, but...

Does anyone have some distortion at the beginning of side 2? For the first few bars of 'Broadway', right before it transitions from the drum intro into the full band, I think I'm getting some distortion on the last few drum hits. Anyone hear of or notice anything like this before?

9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’ll check it out tonight as it’s on the evening playlist and will let you know.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just listened - sounds perfect on my end. Hi hat is nice and crisp, you hear the open-close of the hi hat specifically, and then the snare roll comes in and on my end is clean clear and crisp.

PauGasmall likes this.
  11. PauGasmall

Alright thanks. I've reached out to the seller and MM directly. I'm definitely hearing some distortion right when that snare roll comes in.

12. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Just finished listening to my new copy of MM Blue Train, s/t track, and I am impressed, even at $75. I've never heard a mono recording with so much air and space between the instruments. My AP Prestige and MoFi Davis monos are good, but they aren't this good. Do I wish I was buying vinyl when these where $40? Yes. Do I regret buying these at the current inflated prices? No.

13. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Help me spend my money. Give me some feedback on these albums please.
    Donald Byrd - Royal Flush
    Lee Morgan - The Gigolo
    Horace Parlan - Happy State of Mind
    Sonny Rollins- Newk's Time

14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The 1st 2 on that list are my faves of that bunch although I don't have them on MM. Gigolo probably a bit of an edge

Stu02, PauGasmall and Tlay like this.
  15. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Happy Frame of Mind is one of my favorite MMs. It’s somewhat different than the other Parlan albums on MM as it is the most “out” album (though not too far out). The backing band is also stellar, including Johnny Coles and Booker Ervin (Ervin deserves special praise here).

Beyond the music, the sound on this one really glimmers. I can’t recommend this album enough. I like the other three on your list, but, for me, Happy Frame of Mind is a cut above.

recstar24, Tlay and misterclean like this.
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why? In what ways?

17. Agreed - "Happy Frame of Mind" is a great album. I actually just received the MM incarnation in the mail but know it pretty well from previous digital versions, etc. Haven't even had a chance to clean and enjoy...

But I would highly recommend it too. Excited to hear that it sounds great as well!

Bryce and Tlay like this.
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I got Royal Flush after I bought The Cat Walk, a bit bouncier than Cat Walk but very enjoyable. I currently Have Newk's Time on order along with two Dexter Gordon 45s and Byrd In Hand, should be here in a week or so..

Bryce and Tlay like this.
  19. PauGasmall

I have The Gigolo and love it.

Tlay likes this.
  20. PauGasmall

When you guys need customer service, do you just email Lori directly? Emailed her a while ago and haven't heard back.

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I normally do. Seems like the response time has got longer recently. I just chalked it up to summer vacations.

PauGasmall likes this.
  22. PauGasmall

Thanks, actually just heard back from her after I made that post.

23. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

AS customer says that they are planning a re-press. No ETA.

mpayan, mikeyt and guidedbyvoices like this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

They're putting in the time in the office. I placed an order on Saturday and received a pre shipment notification last night at 11:33pm my time which would have been 8:33pm theirs.

25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

That's great. I'm going to order an archive copy. Listened to both the MM mono and stereo yesterday and I prefer the stereo. More open, wider soundstage. More depth. It's apples and oranges - mono/stereo AND 33/45.