Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Fantastic on both counts.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Excellent from both standpoints. Check out the music on YouTube and you’ll get an idea of what to expect. But, like most of the MM releases once you start spinning the vinyl it’s like hearing a whole new album. So, even some albums you think are a little laid back or maybe not all that exciting when you stream it or listen on YouTube come alive when you listen to the MM version.

3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

If you are talking about 1568 aside from it being mono which doesn't detract from it at all it has a great lineup of players. Their performances are above reproach and from what I understand its a very popular title. I got mine as part of the "final set" Music Matters did. Its really worth checking out!

recstar24 likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Coming late to the series, I’m wondering if there’s been any explanation why MM picked Gooden’s Corner over the other Grant green / Sonny Clark albums (Oleo or Nigeria). Just personal preference? I wish Born to Be Blue received the MM treatment as well.

5. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Well that's it for me with buying Music Matters titles, its been a wonderful ride since they started ten years ago. When they started there were some many other things coming out that I decided not to subscribe but to cherry pick titles as they appealed. It turns out more appealed than I first thought - as I have come to a stop at 100 titles.

Of the 45rpm titles I have 87. I have often thought about picking up the remaining 25 or so titles but they are either too free for my tastes or too expensive now. I buy to listen and not to collect so I am happy with what I have.

Of the 33rpm titles I have 13. I decided here that there was no point doubling up where I had a MM or AP 45 and again no regrets.

What a wonderful series, we have been so lucky. I often check back to this thread just to be sure they haven't announced that they will return - maybe one day.... would love them to do an Impulse or Riverside series too. Oh well we can only dream.

Bobsblkwax, Tlay, btf1980 and 7 others like this.
  6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Is it possible that the original master tapes for some Blue Note titles were simply not in good shape to be used any more? I vaguely recalled somewhere that the guys at Music Matters have come across issues for some titles they wished to release.

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I've been tracking down the colored versions of MM pressings. It means double dipping, but I don't mind. I'm almost done. Just need to get the blue version of Stanley Turrentine and the Three Sound's Blue Hour and I'm done.

Listening to the 45 rpm blue version of Tina Brook's True Blue. A perfect record from start to finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defrance, ultron9, Mad Dog and 9 others like this.
  8. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Very cool. I double dipped on this one because of how good it is. One of the best out the MMs I’ve got.

btf1980 and Fender Relic like this.
  9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm in the club too but double-dipped on 33.3....one blue...one true blue ;)

btf1980 likes this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The la roca Basra is about as close to a perfect MM/blue note as I think I’ve heard yet. Even though it’s a quartet, the way they play and blend just makes thems sound bigger than what they are - so many wonderful layers of playing, very independent and free while still remaining together. The trio of Kuhn/swallow/la roca is TIGHT! As tight as the best piano bass drums trios easily. Song selection and writing/arrangements are PERFECT - a little bit of everything and every style, while still retaining that slightly “out there” element that is a part of the best blue notes.

Finally, the Sonics are fantastic. Bass and piano as good as I’ve heard so far, explosive and crisp drums with outrageous dynamics and Henderson is captured wonderfully.

ultron9, nosliw, wellers73 and 3 others like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Or both! o_O

ultron9 and Jellis77 like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, now THAT is True Blue, through and through.

btf1980 likes this.
  13. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Get an original pressing.

14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

No footage from Holland, but a nice radio session, officially released in 2017:

15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

You've compared and prefer an original?

16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

One of my fave MM titles! It was a blind buy for me during an Elusive Disc sale (before the prices started going up and discounts still applied) and it didn't let me down. Just an incredible session.

recstar24 likes this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

mikeyt likes this.
  18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Agreed. Hard to beat this one from a sonic or songwriting/playing perspective.

Madlove likes this.
  19. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I sold my original for a hefty sum at the time, but what it's going for now is just insane. It's sad that Mobley isn't alive to see this. It's a reminder to give people flowers while they can still smell them.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thoughts strongly for , against any of these Sonny Clark titles? If I can only get two, which ones? I'm familiar with the music on Leapin and Lopin and Gooden's Corner, haven't heard Dial "S" and only heard Crib once or twice and know Coltrane's on it. I'd guess for sound Leapin & Lopin being later will sound better than Dial S?

Leapin & Lopin
    Gooden's Corner (Grant Green)
    Dial S For Sonny
    Sonny's Crib

21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Just get all of them. May not be want you or your wallet want to hear, but it's what you should do.

22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Sunday morning spin. Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shout!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An overlooked gem.

23. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I have them all except for Dial S For Sonny and they're all outstanding. Gooden's corner has Grant Green so that's like getting two for one.

Bryce and guidedbyvoices like this.
  24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Of those titles I'd personally go with Gooden's Corner, which is a must have, and Sonny's Crib.

mikeyt, Morbius and recstar24 like this.
  25. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I second this.

johnnypaddock and Morbius like this.