Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah but at $65 each that ain’t happening. Decisions have to be made. Especially with 45s where you have to have more dedicated listening time, tough to cook dinner with one of those
    Thanks guys! Leapin and Lopin is at the top of my list but the other three I wasn’t sure about

Defrance, PauGasmall and Bryce like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sonny’s Crib. One of the few Blue Notes with Coltrane and every bit as good as Blue Train.

mikeyt, recstar24 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Fair enough, but let it marinate for a little bit. Don't make any hard and fast decisions. Stream the titles and form your own opinions. I mean, we can tell you what to buy, but you have the final say. All I know is that things can grow on you and you'll probably change your mind about an LP you passed up on. This happens all the time. Long ago in my formative years, I didn't understand Eric Dolphy. Now he's one of my favorite musicians of all time. The LPs you mentioned are all stellar records and I can't imagine not having any of them. If you do change your mind about something you passed on, then I hope when you come around that those titles are still $65. They're not going to get any cheaper from here on out.

I still say get them all. If you have to bag a lunch for a week, or eat one less fancy dinner out, then so be it. How much is a nice steak dinner and a bottle of wine for you and perhaps your significant other? A lot more than a record that will provide a lifetime of enjoyment. Not to mention that it will only appreciate in value over time. You'll forget about what you had for dinner in a few days, you won't forget these records.

45s require dedicated listening time? Amen and thank goodness for that. These works of art demand our undivided attention and we should give it to them. That's the point of all this, isn't it?

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

NP: Freddie Hubbard - Here to Stay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Jealous.

btf1980 likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Listening to my Somthin Else by Addereley that I just picked up. It sounds great, but Im not sure its as good as something like my otiginal Kind of Blue Stereo copy in VG+. Is it fair to compare the two?

7. Gabe Walters

Not really. Kind of Blue was recorded in Columbia's 30th Street Studio. Somethin' Else was recorded in RVG's studio in Hackensack--a nice room, to be sure, but not the famed old church that Columbia was using. And different microphones, engineers, producers, etc.

recstar24 and Leonthepro like this.
  8. Leonthepro

Thought so. Dancing in the Dark really has that room reverb and echo that feels so real though.

Also, am I the only one that thinks piano is usually the weakest sounding instrument on these old jazz albums?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    AnalogJ likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Nope! Rudy Van Gelder is infamous for his "boxy" piano sound.

Stu02 and Leonthepro like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Hang on, I need to correct myself. The room in Hackensack wasn't the "nice room" I was thinking of. That would be his subsequent studio in Englewood Cliffs. The Hackensack "studio" was his parents' living room.

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

Thats a good way to describe it, but its on my Kind of Blue as well, which is sad since Bill Evans on Blue in Green plays the best piano Ive ever heard. My mono seems to have it a little more present though.
    I thought it might just be my setup lacking.

12. Leonthepro

Oh wow thats funny ;^D I then assume that Dancing in the Dark was recorded elsewhere.

13. Gabe Walters

I prefer the mono Kind of Blue because Evans' piano is centered. On the stereo recording, he sounds distant to me.

Stu02 and mikeyt like this.
  14. Gabe Walters

No, the whole album was recorded in a day in the same room.

Leonthepro likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Exactly, I feel like my observations are all being confirmed here ;^)
    Maybe I shouldnt sell my mono Kind of Blue, at least until I find a better.

16. Gabe Walters

Check out this wikipedia entry on the Van Gelder Studio: Van Gelder Studio - Wikipedia

It reads almost like a history of modern jazz of the LP era. Minus the major labels of course.

17. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Funny, I like the free ones best...Moncur, McLean, Hancock, Shorter, Hutcherson etc.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Got a cart started :) cool struttin 45 or Cape Verdean blues 33?

Also, anyone compare the cool struttin 45 vs 33?

Also, feel free to take a look below, approaching almost the magic 50 for my MM collection! If you see something missing which you think is a travesty, feel free to let me know :)

Check out recstar24's music collection on Discogs

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    nosliw, Bryce and johnnypaddock like this.
  19. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I've compared the Cool Struttin' 45 with the 33 and had a clear preference for the 45. I found it to be more dynamic, easy to crank up with more air around the instruments and a bigger soundstage. I don't want to over state the difference between the two, because they both sound excellent, but I think the 45 is better.

AnalogJ, recstar24 and Bryce like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks man! How’s the Cape Verdean blues? I’m probably leaning to the 33 due to price.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  21. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Cape Verdean Blues is one of my favorites of the whole series. I prefer the 45, but both are great.

22. Gabe Walters

Did you folks catch the news that Don Was has hired Joe Harley to advise Blue Note on the sonics of their releases, especially reissues? I’m guessing this has something to do with Was’ quotes in recent interviews about preparing releases for audiophiles.
    Charles Lloyd's "Modern Sounds In Country and Jazz"

DeRosa, nosliw, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

OK - which one do you consider more “essential” in regards to the MM treatment, as well as what you’d consider a “classic” BN:

Somethin else
    Or
    Cool Struttin

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Personally Cool Struttin. Cant go wrong with either

25. Gabe Walters

Both for sure, but if I had to choose just one, it would be Somethin’ Else every time. I’m a Miles fanatic.

AaronW, nosliw and mikeyt like this.