Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

That's cool! More like a novelty though than something you will see in mono reissues en masse you think?

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

While it was an exception, it still rules out the use of the term "any" when discussing mono reissues.

And it is a pretty big exception. Near as I can tell, Classic reissued about 125 Blue Note titles in mono. All cut with a mono cutting head......

Searching for "classic records blue note mono" on Discogs

3. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

The Beatles mono box set was cut with a mono head.

4. Mugrug12

Fair enough but still those 125 titles are probably it except for some one off novelty albums/singles. So that vs every mono reissue since the 70s might be less than 1 percent.

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I have a number of those. They're pretty good, but not up to MM standards.

6. Mugrug12

That's interesting and cool. I could swear I heard a high freq difference w the mono button on for "mono masters". Or is that different than the box set stuff? Btw are most MM mono lps the two disc 45 kind? I like 33s best!

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

In general, I would agree, but as I read it the point was about mono head cutting on reissues, as opposed to subjective opinions on the quality of reissues.

GreatTone likes this.
  8. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

You are correct.

9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

If it's from the mono box set, there shouldn't be a difference in frequency response, though you may hear less surface noise with the mono button in. And yes, most mono MMs are 45s, with a few exceptions. The MM website lays it all out. Blue Note Records Vinyl Reissue Albums | Music Matters Jazz

10. Mugrug12

Thanks for the link I will make a wish list from it ;)
    I don't have the mono box I have the 3 disc mono masters (like past masters but in mono). Not sure if past masters came in the box as well...?

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Sure. I don't disagree. That's obviously true. I think the more salient point is that modern mono reissues made from mono cutter heads are rare, and most are made from stereo cutter heads. Including the mono reissues by Music Matters.

It wasn't 125 titles. When you browse through the Classic Records listings on Discogs, you get a lot of test pressings and other things. The number of unique mono titles was more like in the 60s or 70s. I have several of them, and I like them. There are a lot of titles Music Matters didn't cover.

DeRosa, recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You're right but it was still quite a lot of ground they covered. And they had Grundman do some other things on a mono head cutting system as well. Sinatra, The Who, Procol Harum, Roy Orbison, etc.

13. Gabe Walters

I wonder if Grundman has used that cutting system since Classic sold to Chad Kassem. Does anyone know?

14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think he uses a custom system he built himself and for years.

15. Gabe Walters

Right, but I'm asking about the system he built for Classic Records with the mono cutter head. He doesn't use a mono cutter head in his usual rig.

16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Gotcha.

17. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Whatever happened to that rig? does chad own it now??

18. Twinsfan007

No I'm looking into getting one and was just wondering if it's better to go that route or get a mono cart.

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I believe that is what Gabe was asking :)

20. Twinsfan007

Haha gotcha, my bad :sigh:

recstar24 likes this.
  21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Thanks to post in a Beatles thread I found this link to a Billboard article that has this info:

Not all of Capitol Congress’ highlights came courtesy of newcomers. Bruce Resnikoff, president and CEO of Universal catalog division UMe, introduced a lengthy video showcasing a host of upcoming CMG reissues, including a 50th anniversary edition of The Beatles’ White Album remixed by George Martin's son Giles, a “lost” Glen Campbell album featuring a duet with Elvis Presley, and multiple vinyl reissues celebrating the 60th and 80th anniversaries of Motown and Blue Note Records, respectively. Also coming on the Motown front is Hitsville: The Making of Motown, a documentary featuring never-before-seen footage from label founder Berry Gordy’s private archives.

bluejimbop, Defrance, Morbius and 5 others like this.
  22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm still getting through the 75th Anniversary releases!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  23. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

I don't know anything about jazz but if I was to buy only ONE Music Matters Blue Note release, which one should I get?

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm sure you'll get many different answers but I'd suggest any of these...

Tina Brooks-True Blue
    Grant Green-Idle Moments
    Kenny Burrell-Midnight Blue
    Lee Morgan-Search For The New Land

25. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestions Fender! I'll sample those albums to get a feel for each one.

Fender Relic likes this.