Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AllenR

AllenR Forum Resident

If you want a great late night listen, my vote goes for Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue. MM version is outstanding too.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

+1

3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Are there any mm blue note titles which are available in stereo and mono mixes?

4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Something Else

Jimbo912, AaronW, recstar24 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I just read on their website that mono releases are only when no stereo exist. Excuse my earlier laziness!

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Yes. Lee Morgan's Candy. The 45 is in mono, while the 33 is in stereo.

AaronW, nosliw and Mugrug12 like this.
  7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Blue Train is now 84.95 USD and as "VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE!" on MM website. First 33RPM to go out of stock?

I wonder if they start to decrease some of the prices when they have sold most of the more popular titles.

Fender Relic likes this.
  8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

That's the one I put on last night after responding to the OP. It's spinning again right now upon waking. Midnight Blue & morning blue.

9. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Another one for Midnight Blue. It’s like Stanley is standing right there in front of our fireplace.

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. Fender Relic

For the last 2 weeks I've been putting off making one last MM order and Blue Train is always on the list :doh:

I doubt the prices will ever go down on any of them but I've been wrong before.

Marko K likes this.
  11. Fender Relic

I can't believe you haven't been deluged with recommendations. Here's a few more favorites of mine....

Wayne Shorter-Night Dreamer,Speak No Evil,Adam's Apple
    Horace Silver-The Cape Verdean Blues,The Tokyo Blues
    Duke Pearson-Wahoo!,Sweet Honey Bee
    Lee Morgan-Lee-Way
    Horace Parlan-Speakin My Piece
    Art Blakey-Moanin',The Big Beat
    Grant Green-Matador

You can't go wrong with any of these as a BN first or only purchase.

Morbius, Marko K and nosliw like this.
  12. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Just one, huh?!? Do you realize this will make most of us here tense up a bit, start to sweat, and probably feel a little light headed....:sweating:

If you are truly new to jazz... Hank Mobley - Soul Station

But why not get the free shipping and pick up Blue Train and Somethin' Else as well :uhhuh:

13. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Thanks for more suggestions Fender! Seems like Midnight Blue is the favorite so far but I still have some sampling to do!

Fender Relic likes this.
  14. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

That's funny that you say that because buying more than one makes me tense up and start to sweat! I usually wait for the 20% off Music Direct sale so I can buy more MOFI 45 rpm Dylan and that's only $40 an album! I don't know how you guys collect so many of these. Is everyone in this thread a hedge fund manager? :laugh:

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. Fender Relic

I'm a hedge trim manager....chop chop. I cut back on my chocolate & ice cream when it's MM Blue Note ordering time. Sometimes I have to sell other music to acquire MM's. My wife loves M&M candy but maybe I can talk her into MM vinyl instead....:biglaugh:

nosliw, Twinsfan007 and timzigs like this.
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Hmmm, perhaps. Look at it this way...if you buy now, the appreciation (in both music and value) of these records can help you hedge against future stress and expenses :agree:

And of course, there's a lot to be said for skipping those latte's and life's other momentary pleasures for those that can last a lifetime.

Fender Relic likes this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just received a nice sized order (both direct from MM and discogs) and first one up is Cape Verdean blues on 45. Sound is killer and the piano actually sounds normal lol. Great dynamics and the drums are pretty thunderous. The album sings like a Blakey messengers album but with a little more funk and samba thrown in, it’s a very funky sound which is quite different! And I forgot how much JJ smokes on bone, he’s an OG and killer on this album.

Bryce, nosliw, GreatTone and 5 others like this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Continuing on! Sonny smokes it on cool struttin, the piano is captured very well and plays really “vividly” sound wise and very clear.

Just finished spinning little Johnny C, this is a sleeper! Again anything with Duke is going to be good. There are some barn burners on this record and the dynamics on the 45 are killer.

Currently spinning idle moments, I’m startled how much better this sounds on my rig than the AP45. For whatever reason the pace and timing and groove is very sluggish on the AP45, whereas on the MM the groove is so tight and snappy while still laid back, and just sings. To my ears, it’s NOT subtle at all.

Still have somethin else and whistle stop to go!

wgb113, nosliw, Fender Relic and 2 others like this.
  19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I just recently purchased the MM 33 of Idle Moments and am very impressed by the title track. The groups expression and the way it all comes together is nothing short of extraordinary. I love the way RVG captured it on tape and to think this take could have been scrapped for a seven minute version!

recstar24, bluejimbop and nosliw like this.
  20. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Someone tell me I'm not nuts for paying the current price for the Search for the New Land 33. It'll put me over $150 if I buy it with Leeway and Ready for Freddie, so at just under $175 total, that's only like $15-$20 more than it would have cost if the record was only $49 and then I had to pay shipping.

Screw it, I'm doing it. Last 33s on my wish list. And I'm getting a dog soon so it's always gonna be guilty money from there on out.

recstar24, Fender Relic and mikeyt like this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It sounds fantastic and is a great album anyway. Don't think twice, you'll be happy with it. Ready for Freddie is great too. MM does a great job with trumpet albums making them warm and vibrant, not bright and piercing.

PauGasmall likes this.
  22. Fender Relic

You go big boy.... MM's forever!

I'm not in favor of any pets but a good dog is way better than any other pet. They do provide companionship but they're kinda like houses and cars when you look at the "real" cost of owning.

23. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

My advice........Don’t buy any......cos once you buy one you’ll want the rest and will soon be broke! :tiphat:

timzigs, Twinsfan007, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  24. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Or on the street once the wife kicks him to the curb with his box of Music Matters lps.

Shpongle, timzigs and Twinsfan007 like this.
  25. Fender Relic

:laughup:

Back in the early 70's a friend of mine was walking on a Jersey boardwalk and this woman was shouting and cursing loudly with a guitar over her shoulder. She was peed off with her husband and had taken his early 60's Martin D-21 guitar and was threatening to smash it. My friend got to her quick and asked her to please sell it to him instead of smashing it.
    She did,IIRC he gave her $150. So, be on the look out for angry MM wives with MM Blue Notes headed for destruction. :biglaugh: