Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Ok, i found some info that explains the connection.

In 2009 "Original Recordings Group" was started by Warner’s former vinyl chief, Jeff Bowers,
    and in 2011, they brought in Andrew Rossiter to run it, and it was changed into the "ORG Music" label.
    Eric Astor, (Furnace Records) is a partner, and he was the connection to the Pallas Group,
    who does a lot of pressing for them.

Label Stories: The Story of ORG Music - The Big Reissue

AaronW likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks, I have actually come across that article before. However, your post makes it sound as if ORG became and was replaced by ORG Music, but they are actually two separate entities, the Nina Simone Silk and Soul album I have was released by ORG in 2013 which is after the date listed for ORG Music in that article. Checking the ORG releases that are linked from their Discogs page also lists a number of other ORG releases from this decade.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yeah, more digging, i think i see what's going on.

Another article I found says that "Monti Olson and Jeff Bowers started Original Recordings Group in 2006"
    SoundStage! - The Vinyl Word - Original Recordings Group (4/2010)

The profile of "ORG Music" says they started in 2009, "as an abbreviated offshoot of Original Recordings Group,
    and was handled largely by Warner’s former vinyl chief, Jeff Bowers".

So we know Jeff Bowers was at both places. It doesn't sound like ORG Music was really
    an "offshoot" of ORG, (what's that mean?) as much as it was Jeff Bowers leaving ORG and starting ORG Music.
    It also appears the driving force behind ORG Music has been Andrew Rossiter, since in 2011,
    when Jeff Bowers left. (to go where?)

We also know there are two versions of the 2009 Nirvana In Utero title.
    There are some with "Original Recordings Group" stickers, and another version has "ORG Music" stickers,
    The "ORG Music" Nirvana In Utero records carry the "Original Recordings Group" catalog number, with
    "Distributed by ORG Music" on the jacket.

The first title with a catalog number from "ORG Music" is Tom Petty Damn The Torpedoes ORGM-1001 from 2010.

Timeline of catalog releases of Discogs is a bit inaccurate, the years jump around a bit, but it appears going by catalog number
    that after the debut label release of Sarah McLachlan, the Original Recordings Group label gets going with regular
    catalog numbers ORG 002, 003, 004, etc.

Original Recordings Group:
    Sarah McLachlan Wintersong ‎(LP) ORG 8150-1 . Year 2006
    TV On The Radio Return To Cookie Mountain ‎ORG 002 Year 2008
    by 2009 they're already up to the Nirvana Nevermind ORG 032 in 2009

ORG Music:
    Tom Petty Damn The Torpedoes ORGM-1001
    This Mortal Coil It'll End In Tears ORGM-1002
    Pale Saints The Comforts Of Madness ORGM-1003
    Nirvana Incesticide ORGM-1005
    Sonic Youth Sister ORGM-1006

There is a steady steam of both Original Records Group and ORG Music titles there after.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Well I for one am glad we got pointed to that sale. I ended up getting the Bridge and Coltrane Jazz. I have a copy of that form the heavyweight champion box, but AAA and spread out on 2x45, looking forward to comparing the two.

Bobby Buckshot and PauGasmall like this.
  5. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

I've had both. Was never able to make a direct comparison (sold the Heavyweight Champion set before buying the 45 rpm) but my memory is that the 45 rpm is a clear step up.

6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just popped in “the feelin’s good” hank mobley. Holy smokes this is killer. The sound is so FRESH everything comes out crystal clear with beautiful richness. Byrd’s trumpet is perfect and mobleys tone has that little extra lower midrange oomph so you really hear how distinct and wonderful his voice was. Herbies piano is remarkable, no “cottonmouth” sound to it at all. What a surprise! Musically it sounds more modern than my other mobley MM’s - roll call, workout, and soul station - this one has a more contemporary feel for sure.

Aura, Bobby Buckshot and PauGasmall like this.
  7. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

One of my favorite MM titles for sure. Weird how the songs were all recorded in one session but released across 3 different albums, and it took all these years for someone to finally compile them on one release. Arguably better than all those "original" releases.

Aura likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I know! Every track is killer - I’m not sure the logic of “wow, this session was great! Let’s take a song or two and spread across 3 LP’s”, but whatever.

PauGasmall likes this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

What is it with these blue note sessions that end up being released in the late 70’s/early 80’s that makes them so good? Have another gem here, Turrentine’s jubilee shout, and it is fantastic. The quality of these tapes clearly are in super pristine condition because the sound is immaculate. And the playing is so inspired - sonny Clark is ridiculous on this record. Oh and you got Kenny Burrell too tearing things up as well. Go MM for reissuing this gem!

PauGasmall, Stu02, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Another one I find really good is Hank Mobley's Another Workout released in 1985. I just got Grant Green's Matador from 1979, another hidden gem.

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’ve got matador and agree - didn’t realize that was also a later release. Don’t have work out but just got feelin’s good which wasn’t released as an actual LP until years later and that one is near the top of all my MM’s easily

PauGasmall and Morbius like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

There's a bunch of them in the Music Matters catalog, Michael Cuscuna went digging in the Blue Note vaults years ago and came up with a ton of stuff which he helped produce for release in the 70's and 80's. MM picked up on a bunch of them and included them in their catalog. A couple more Grant Green off the top of my head are Gooden's Corner and Solid also Ike Quebec's Easy Living.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Have both the grant greens and just got the easy living - all are fantastic and sound great. It appears when Cuscuna got involved he did a really good job curating some quality stuff to release in the late 70’s/80’s

14. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

How many MM BN 33rpm titles are there?

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

16. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

He sure did!

18. guidedbyvoices

Man I made a playlist of this from the individual tracks in Apple Music and this plays fantastic. I tried Turnaround and Squares a while back and liked them but not $50-80 liked em. But this as a one session lp is fantastic. Jumping high on my wish list!

PauGasmall and recstar24 like this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

For sure! My other mobleys are the trinity of roll call, workout, and soul station. His playing on the feelin’s good session is as strong and sophisticated as those three. The song writing and arrangements though is what I think really sets it apart. The MM sound quality is pretty out of this world - it’s very clear the master tape was in fantastic condition, a trend I may have observed with a lot of these later blue note releases.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

I’d love to get workout and soul station on MM but they’ve been on the high end, and they’re about the only BN75s I got that were good pressings and sounded good, so I always pick up something else. But this one is really strong. I’ve got a few other must buys in mind to go with it.

PauGasmall likes this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I hear ya - I got lucky on my copy of workout and was able to get one here on SH for sale forums for $30 from a wonderful seller. It’s currently at $70 on MM. I did reach for soul station but don’t regret it. Of all the mobleys I think I would upgrade feelin’s good to #1 based not only on sound and musicianship but price/value.

PauGasmall and guidedbyvoices like this.
  22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Make sure you pick up the CD reissue. There were two tunes that had to be re-done because they needed shorter versions to fit on the LP. They're listed as "alternate takes" on the CD when in reality, they were the masters until the band went too long on other tracks. :)

Marko K and Stu02 like this.
  23. I just sampled “Jubilee Shout” on Apple Music and I think I’ll be picking this one up soon... second track is so beautiful.

Morbius, recstar24 and Fender Relic like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I want that one too!

25. I’ve cut back so much on vinyl purchases but I can always find room for Music Matters (and Intervention)!

recstar24 and Fender Relic like this.