Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I know how you feel. I have all 112 45 RPM titles and 29 of the 33 RPM titles. With all my recent hifi upgrades I've been slowly going through them again.

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

C'mon....go there, you'll love it!

3. Josquin des Prez

Fushia Swing Song is a must have release. If they did a 33 I would probably get that too, even though I don't really like to double-dip on titles.

Madlove likes this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well, I have the King version of it (also in stereo), so it's a bit hard to double-dip as well...but damn, I'll bet it sounds great on MM!

5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You should get it and compare for us! Incredible album...

I bought my first two music matters records last month. Thank you to the fun thread! One thing that really stood out to me as being more hifi than some of my vintage pressings is the cymbals. They just ring for days on these pressings.
    Seems that maybe some of the cymbal decay wasn't captured as well in the old days. Or maybe it's just that the slightest bit of groove wear comes first for that kind of information on the disc.

Is there a 33rpm of whistle stop?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    timzigs, PauGasmall and Satchidananda like this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

The MM of Whistle Stop is 33 RPM. They didn't do a 45 RPM version of it: Analogue Productions did.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

As a former drummer that’s what sticks out to me a lot. I can almost feel the wood tip hitting the cymbals. Getting that visceral feel from it just makes everything else feel alive too.

Dmann201, Stu02, PauGasmall and 3 others like this.
  8. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Joe Harley is hired by Don Was for the forthcoming Blue Note Review box set. I just posted this text from an email announcement in the dedicated thread:

Blue Note Review: Volume Two – Spirit & Time is loosely built around the theme of drumming. The exclusive compilation album is a tribute to the legendary Tony Williams and features today’s titans - Brian Blade, Kendrick Scott, Tony Allen, Chris Dave, Eric Harland and more – reinterpreting his late 80’s/early 90’s Blue Note recordings. We took your feedback and made sure to include more music in Volume Two with two reissues instead of one: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers’ Africaine and Bobby Hutcherson’s Patterns . We brought in ‘Tone Poet’ Joe Harley, co-founder/producer of the acclaimed Music Matters audiophile vinyl series to ensure that these titles were held to the high standard you should expect from Blue Note Review. Both reissues are all-analog, audiophile quality releases. Our zine returns as Out Of The Blue in a new, easier-to-read format and we’ve added a unique zine for Volume Two, Spirit & Time: Jazz Drummers On Their Art . The set is rounded out with two never-before-seen Francis Wolff shot lithographs, a set of Topps Blue Note Trading Cards and a Blue Note Carbon Fiber Anti-Static Record Brush. We’re confident you’re going to dig Spirit & Time

asindc, DeRosa, MRT and 6 others like this.
  9. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Should we all post our top 3 on each format??

33: Soul Station, Idle Moments, Matador
    45: The Feelin's Good, Adam's Apple, Tom Cat*

*Very narrow lead over The Gigolo due to the sound of Morgan's second solo on Exotique. Blows me away every time.

Bryce and recstar24 like this.
  10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

This is exciting news, as both are great albums. Sounds like the second set is shipping in December and will be an upgrade from volume one.

recstar24 likes this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have this and it’s one of my favorites of the Dorham catalogue as well as of the MM series as a whole

12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I finally ordered the 45RPM version of Lee Morgan's "Volume 3" after listening to a japanese Toshiba version the other day (which sounded really great, by the way). That special Lee Morgan/ Benny Golson collaboration got me instantly.

GreatTone and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Where can these be ordered?

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think you have to sign up for Blue Note Review?

New Account

15. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I signed up for BNR last week thinking the website was accurate that Vol. 1 was sold out, and that I was getting on board for Vol. 2 following the recent announcement. Turns out Vol. 1 is not sold out, because it shipped and supposedly is arriving today via UPS. I reached out confused that a sold out title was shipping, but I got a non-response from UMG. I guess I'll just have to see what's in this box. Just be aware that if you sign up now, you may be in for Vol. 1. Wonder what that says about how these have sold..

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If they still have sets available after emailing members that the first volume had sold out, I suppose it's possible they had a quantity of sets reserved for replacements. If it's more than that, then yeah, disappointing.

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  17. snap

snap Forum Resident

Price drop of a 33 LP at Music Matters: Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland - 'Golden 8' is now $49.95 (last week was $$64.95)
    Recorded May, 1961 in Cologne, Germany (by Wolfgand Hirschmann) and produced by Gigi Campi.
    The playing of this octet, the arrangements, and recording quality amazed me -- a fresh breath of European air.

Bryce, nosliw, RiRiIII and 4 others like this.
  18. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

This record kicked my ass. Wasn’t expecting it to be this great and it gets a LOT of play. Highly recommended.

scotth, timzigs and recstar24 like this.
  19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Did Cape Verdean Blues and Wahoo! drop as well?

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I know Cape Verdean was up to $60 and wahoo $55 a few months ago so yeah both have dropped a little. Gettin around also dropped from $60 to $50. Little Johnny C was $75 at one point and then $60, now it’s back to $45.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Did you actually receive a vol. 1? Im considering getting just vol.2 but fear if I sign up now they’ll send me a vol 1

22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Same here.

23. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I signed up for Blue Note Review this morning, and there was no where to enter payment info or select a purchase.

If I'm reading the website correctly, it looks like, 1) create an account, 2) receive an email when the new set is ready for customers, 3) provide payment, 4) get jazz.

24. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Yes — volume 1 did arrive here, so definitely be aware if you’re thinking of subscribing. Card inside the outer shipping box had a serial in the 400’s. Not planning to open the box set for now, waiting to see how Vol. 2 shakes out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! I definitely don’t want vol. 1. I’m assuming that when they start shipping vol. 2, they’ll charge your card another $200?