Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

To me, Hutcherson makes Out to Lunch. If you like his playing there, you'll like Happenings and just about everything else he's on, including Andrew Hill's Judgment.

2. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Haha, the truth is in the dead wax, isn't ? My copy is made by KG@CA .... if the upgrade is allready executed that is something I doubt (read: can not prove)but I thought I saw an article , post or an email by MM that the upgrade was made just before Look-Out!

Manelus likes this.
  3. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Donald Byrd - Royal Flush and Andrew Hill's Judgment are in my order placed recently (not yet shipped).
    Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings is not.
    My doubt is if ask for the inclusion of this title or beguin a new list for September's shipment.
    Problem is that maybe I will have to sell my house if I don't know how to stop :)

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. La Roca

La Roca Well-Known Member

Don't have to it's in the sound.
    You're welcome to ask them, though
    FYI there are plenty of 45 titles that say Cohearent but there is Cohearent before the upgrades and there is Cohearent after the upgrades. Look Out! is definitely Cohearent before the upgrades.

You have the 45s let your ear do the rest

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  5. La Roca

lol...I hear you on that. All my life I've lived a clean honest living. imbibing libations was always my reliable mode of unwinding but after I started indulging in these 45rpms I started feeling like a junky. Guilt for the kind of money I'm spending on them and elation at the pleasure they bring me.

David Ellis, RiRiIII and mikeyt like this.
  6. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I listened to that (again) last night. I felt like I was at the recording session. Great music and equally great recording.

7. Michel Jazz

The FORCE is strong in you..:crazy:

Manelus likes this.
  8. Michel Jazz

If you got the same ingredients; RVG (recordings) + KG (remastering) + CA(top equipment) should the stereo prestige 200g series also be as great as the MM 33rpm ?
    Except for the cover with the great artworks...
    The choosen albums are a fantastic selection.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  9. La Roca

Hola, Amigo!
    Horace Parlan's Headin' South and Happy Frame of Mind are companion pieces. Plus Grant Green makes some stellar guest appearance on the latter album

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Playing Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers now and it has KG & RR @CA in the dead wax, so this is mastered at Cohearant. Sounds sweet.

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

For all you people who believe Music Matters is the ultimate. Last night I played the new AP 33rpm issue of Bags Groove mastered by KG at Cohearant followed by Blue Train on Music Matters 33rpm. IMO the sound quality of AP 33rpm was as good if not better than the MM (yes I know; apples and pears) and the packaging is far better than the AP 45rpms which I have (The Sidewinder and Intensity). The same can be said for the new Steamin'. So, why the price difference?

12. Michel Jazz

Its only 5$... You get a beautiful gatefold with the extra Francis Wolff pictures.
    Nice to hear that you think the sound quality of the AP's is as high like the MM 33rpm's

13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I agree that the New prestige mono Bags Groove sounds out of this world , however as soon as I get a chance and open up my new Blue Train MM I will compare it to this one , even though they are different recordings it will be fun to test ! Bags Groove on the prestige mono is really e exceptional tho!! I have so much vinyl to listen to his weekend , I will be going thru all of the new 33 MM series LP s I just received , can't wait !!!

LavidDange and RiRiIII like this.
  14. David Ellis

That only applies to those mastered by Kevin Gray who is also doing the MM 33rpms.

15. David Ellis

I'm really looking forward to your opinion. I think that Kevin Gray is the common denominator and I assume AP have the Prestige stuff while MM have the Blue Note catalogue.

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. Michel Jazz

I sold the AP 45rpm Miles Davis albums and bought the same albums from the AP mono series.
    These albums are rather short, so I switched to the 33rpm for these.
    I just bought 18 albums (Impulse 45rpm & Prestige Mono 33rpm) and I only played Relaxin & Steamin.
    It felt like that there’s more detail in these 33rpm’s, to me they sound really GREAT!
    But I’m really curious for the Stereo series…

ellingtonic and MikeJedi like this.
  17. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Agree, I have both and I consider them among the best of MM reissues.

18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes, they should be as great.

19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The AP Prestige LPs sound fantastic, and I'm sure the newer ones will sound even better with Kevin's recently upgraded chain.

20. David Ellis

Believe me they do!

MikeJedi and tubesandvinyl like this.
  21. Michel Jazz

Has anybody an idea where in the Prestige mono series the upgrade was made ?

22. David Ellis

It's pretty recent. I'm just checking for "mastered by Kevin Gray" and no one else.

23. David Ellis

Here the difference is £10 by the way, which is a couple of CDs on Amazon and the gatefolds take up too much space and I'm already short and looking for new ideas:)

24. Michel Jazz

For the short of space I can not help....
    But the 10£ difference, I live in Belgium and ordering directly from MM or elusive disc and makes the difference only 5$...
    Ordering directly means low price and if you can hold your package to multiple albums then shipping is still ok....
    When I'm calculating it's like buying with a discount of 25% compared in 'our' Europe...

25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The miles steamin , relaxin and cookin are really well done on the prestige mono AP !!!! I love them and I also own the 45 rpm versions in the OOP miles grata prestige box set , very close and you don't have to get up as often lol!! But I enjoy them all for what they are !! It is a great time to be into vinyl !!!!!!!

RiRiIII, TimArruda, tyler928 and 2 others like this.