Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I already have Speak No Evil and Out to Lunch on MM45pm. What to do. I guess I'll have to sell those. I much prefer 33rpm so I don't have to flip sides/records.

audiotom, alanb and antielectrons like this.
  2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I'll just be getting them and keep the 45's I've got. I like the 45's, love the 33's. They sound a bit different with the 33s' I have a bit better. But then again, it's nice to have the 45's...
    Gotta support your local record maker.

mikeyt and antielectrons like this.
  3. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

yeah that would be disappointing.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have nearly the entire 45 rpm series except for a handful in the last batch where I didn't care for some of the music. If they're just going to reissue the entire series at 33 rpm, then whatever and good luck to them, I hope they make some good money. Saves me a lot of money for Japanese pressings for my next Tokyo trip, at least King had the sense to reissue a wide variety of titles. I can't say I even care to support them directly, what few newly reissued (or reissued by AP and Classic) I buy will be from Soundstage Direct.

When I first subscribed to the 45 rpm series a year or so after they starting coming out it was because they were doing something unique with interesting, seldom before reissued titles (or never reissued outside of Japan).

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

They would only be there as a place holder as the albums aren't anywhere close to being ready to ship

I have never subscribed though I've bought plenty titles. I have most of the mew list either as MM titles or first or second presses so I doubt I'll get many of the current list. Between them reissuing some of their 45s and their other choices I will have little reason to buy new titles but there are still some 45s and maybe one or two 33s I want so I can focus on them instead.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    mikeyt likes this.
  6. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I'm feeling that! This beautiful stash just arrived 10 days ago, ordered in the last ten minutes of Elusive Disc's sale...

[​IMG]

I'm looking forward to the list and will pick and choose. It's not like I didn't replace a Cisco and one or two Classics with this most recent purchase.

Terry

7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That is quite an impressive haul. I still need 12 titles to complete my 45 RPM MM collection.

8. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

I read elsewhere that we can expect 20+

9. antielectrons

I don't think you should be in such a hurry to get those if you are concerned about avoiding duplicates with the new 33s. I would wait and see what is announced before buying any more 45s. You seem to have been on a mission lately.

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

However the recent sale by Elusive Disc was so tempting. I also ordered and received the following five 45s:
    • Lee Morgan/Search For The New
    • Thad Jones/The Magnificent (Mono)
    • Jackie McLean/Bluesnik
    • Joe Henderson/Inner Urge
    Let's see...

GreatTone likes this.
  11. antielectrons

I think you will probably be safe with those... although that Thad Jones is superb! Would love to see that on 33.

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. I just found out about this thread. Guess I can kiss this year's vacation fund goodbye. ;)

13. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I started getting the MM LPs when they first came out 5+ years ago and was up to about 50 already. I bought this large batch since they probably won't be available new for $36 shipped very often, and earlier posts on this thread indicated that there would not be many duplicates with the 33 series. I'm slowly going through them and enjoying them now. I'll probably replace a few AP 45rpms with the 33s eventually.

14. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

I wonder why they are delaying the announcement. Lots of people are in a spending mood this time of year

Michel Jazz likes this.
  15. antielectrons

Good move. They are fantastic value at that price and you cannot loose, either way you get some superb sounding jazz.

My comments were more aimed at Prez who was complaining that he would not buy the 33s that were doubled up whilst purchasing lots of 45s at the same time.

16. Josquin des Prez

I plan to complete the collection of 45s if possible. I think what I have left to get is probably safe from double dipping anyway.

For now I plan to pass on 33 double dips, except maybe a title or two that are favorites and played a lot.

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone know the approximate number of duplicates in the new 33 1/3 series coming up?

18. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone will be able to answer that question with any accuracy until they make the official announcement.

19. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I can't say why they are delaying the announcement, but since it will be a subscription, none of the titles will be available until well after Christmas anyway, and they won't bill you until they are shipping.

20. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I'll hope Musicmatters will announce the new titles before Christmas..... what else could I ask for ?

antielectrons likes this.
  21. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Perhaps due to the holiday season and staffing situation? I believe they are a very small company with only a handful of employees. When we are on vacation, they are on vacation too. If they announce it now, they might have difficulty pushing all the orders out before the holidays.

22. Josquin des Prez

They will announce the titles, not ship them. Almost certainly, shipping will commence in January starting with two titles, followed by two titles every 30-45 days. That is how they have always done it so far.

23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

A pony?

:)

LavidDange likes this.
  24. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Three titles per month, starting in January.

antielectrons likes this.
  25. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

3 titles ? Oops then I'll receive only the first january titles for Christmas. The february titles could I ask for my Christmas in 2015....
    Pffffff