Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

I would recommend subscribing direct. That way more of the money gets to the people who made these rather than a middle man. Shipping, packing and service are top notch from MM also and you get them first as a subscriber.

audiotom, MikeJedi and TimArruda like this.
  2. antielectrons

Not at all! Your 45s still work as advertised. Nobody is forcing you to buy the 33s. If you have a title already then just give it a miss this time round if you don't want it on 33. There are plenty of other options out there at the moment for you to spend your re-issue $$$ on.

asindc, Manelus and Brudy like this.
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is my own opinion evaluating MM's policy to reissue these 33s in such a short term after the 45s claiming to their devoted subscribers that now they get it better. I am not comfortable with it and this is just what I am writing. I cannot expect everybody to agree of course. However, if nobody agrees with my general idea then you have a point :).

Edit:

NB: personally I am very comfortable with the 33s since I have never been 45s subscriber and I just own tweny-nine 45s and only 4 will be reissued up to now as 33s. Also the overseas shipping costs are killing me with the 45s.

Jochem likes this.
  4. antielectrons

No. That was not my point. My point was that your 45s still work as advertised - Music Matters have not misled you. What they have done is to make their products even better (cheaper/better sounding, etc.) to broaden their customer base so they can bring us more great titles. And it seems to be working.

Its like Apple bringing out a new iPhone each year. It just gets better and better.

I also wonder how many titles they actually have to choose from that have master tapes that are up to standard? Steve Hoffman, do you know?

Brudy likes this.
  5. antielectrons

I was a 45 subscriber and am OK with what they have done. I don't see how it affects the 45s I already have. If you don't want to double up nobody is forcing you to. Where in this world do you buy something and expect it to be a definitive statement for all of time? You buy for the now... who knows what will come in future.

Music Mattes created a new market with their massively successful 45s. They would be crazy not to continue in it by limiting the titles they bring out.

asindc and audiotom like this.
  6. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

This All About Jazz review of Maiden Voyage 33 1/3 is from June 2014 and makes it sound like it's a recent release; can someone kindly clarify what the Jan 2015 33 1/3 is then? or did the June 2014 get an advance test copy or similar? Thanks.

7. antielectrons

Test pressing. Sent out to a few in advance.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Big Beat should sound better since it was one of the first titles that was issued, before the system upgrade. Also I had a copy of Point of Departure that had a defect on side 4 (I think or side 3). Track had like 20-25 ticks in a row. I wasn't the only one who had that defect, it was mentioned here, I returned it a different title. So I am in for the 33.3 on that one.

9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Steve, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought at all about licensing costs but that must play a big factor.

I definitely appreciate their efforts, and it's nice to see the OOP titles like Matador and Out To Lunch being made available again.

:cheers:

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I wrote "in such a short term".

Also, I did not write that I ll prosecute them because they did so.

Cool down please.

11. antielectrons

I am happy with the new releases on 33 but would like to see MM release a lot of the less well known material gong forward.

12. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Getting a license for new titles while Blue Note is in the middle of its own reissue program is probably not so easy.

mpayan likes this.
  13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Big Beat one of Rudy's lesser engineering efforts, however.

14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Gratuitous product differentiation is a hallmark of late capitalism.

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

+1.

audiotom likes this.
  16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

How is this unethical?

Isn't everyone who plays the audiophile reissue game aware that today's Greatest Version Ever Thanks to Our Spiffy New Analogue Chain is about to become as prized as yesterday's newspaper? This is the nature of the game, no?

This is why we have 47 versions of Kind of Blue-- and plenty of repeat customers for that title.

asindc and struttincool like this.
  17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Purely subjective. However, what I mean with the "unetchical" term, is that high profile labels, such as MM, should have higher standards in terms of respect to their Clients wallets. How? By providing to them monetary relief and incentives to go on with the continuous improvements all the more since they do it at such short term. Simple. I am sure/hope that they will be limiting the overlap of the new 33s and old 45s to the minimum.

18. antielectrons

You mean like booze discounts for alcoholics?

Tlay and SteelyTom like this.
  19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

So, you want them to invest in new, state-of-the-art equipment and no-holds-barred mastering if they're going to re-reissue a title-- then pass the cost along to you in the form of a discount.

Got it.

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Excellent post, and I'm sure some of the 45 rpm subscribers feel the same way.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

All owners of vintage Blue Note LPs should get their Music Masters for free.

Six String likes this.
  22. POGunter

POGunter Forum Resident

Is it the duplicates that are the problem or the fact that MM is doing such a great job on these titles. Maybe MM should release two separate 33 series. 12 titles of 33s previously issued at 45rpm and 12 new reissues from the Blue Note vaults.

23. antielectrons

Good question.

Reading the email MM sent out announcing the new titles they state "as we continue to bring you the very best of Blue Note in 2015" i.e. this is a continuation of the same 2014 policy of re-issuing the best titles as they see it in 33 RPM format.

You also have to factor in that a lot of the 45 series sold out rather quickly as it was limited to just 2500 copies per title, so they get to reach a larger audience by re-issuing at 33. The re-issue market certainly seems to have taken off in recent years.

Remember, these guys are passionate about the music and want to get it out to as many people as they can. They were never in the business of creating instant collectibles.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    LavidDange likes this.
  24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

If you say so.

25. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I think the best sounding versions of records should always be available to newcomers or people who have to make choices what they buy (a $50 US record costs $75 over here), so great that the OOP titles will be back in print (and I already have them all). I would feel selfish when I would object to that. I experienced this myself as I discovered the 45s in 2012 and 'had' to pay premium prices for some of the first Fantasy Jazz series by AP and OOP MM's; paid $200 for Matador. The best Brilliant Corners or Matador should not cost you hundreds of dollars if you can find one. For an original the sky is the limit as this is a limited edition per se, reissues should not.

Great that 8 new Blue Note titles will become available, the first since 2013 !
    I see the Kenny Clarke&Francy Boland, but what happened with the other ten titles that were originally announced at 45rpm?

Jochem, Manelus, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.