"Music On Vinyl" Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you think of the quality of "Music On Vinyl" Records?
    Is it a European company?
    They have 180-gram pressing of Joe Jackson's "Night And Day".

msg likes this.
  2. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Forum Resident

I have a MOV album of Alice In Chains (Jar of Flies / SAP)...really really good...

3. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I'm very pleased with the Sade titles I've listened to. Very nice quality pressings and packaging.

msg, joshm2286 and Heckto35 like this.
  4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I like Music On Vinyl a lot, the quality of their vinyl is excellent and for recordings made during the digital era you can't go wrong, on the other hand for releases like the Jimi Hendrix albums that were originally all analogue you are best off buying from Sony Legacy for example.

TheRealMcCoy, msg, joshm2286 and 4 others like this.
  5. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

It is the old CBS Haarlem plant in the Netherlands, now called Record Industry that presses these.
    http://www.recordindustry.com/
    hodgo's advice is spot on!

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

There are quite a few threads about this company. :) Mostly: good vinyl, decent cover art (sometimes terrible, like my S&G Bridge Over Troubled Water, which seems to be sourced from a 300 by 300 pixel JPEG), digitally sourced. It isn't really 'audiophile' stuff i.m.o., but living in The Netherlands it's a fine option for nice prices!

8. bibijeebies

********, they overcharge, also in their homemarket, the Netherlands!
    €21 for Dutch Masters, e.g. titles that have been milked already, and digitally sourced!!

Gordon Johnson and erniebert like this.
  9. Yovra

a) It's always 'nice' to be confronted by a fellow countryman who, at the same time, gives a nice demonstration of how we get along with each other in the Low Countries (i.e.; take a chill pill ;))
    b) I never pay more than 20,- for new MOV-vinyl, which is a reasonable price for decent vinyl these days i.m.o.. There are much more 'milked' titled that go for very high prices.
    c) check "Marktplaats" for original analogue stuff for a quarter of that price.

10. bibijeebies

Yovra, Rhino can make an analogue Forever Changes and I can get it in a shop for €15,90 (EU Optimal pressing).
    There is a lot of effort and TLC in this version.

€20 is maybe okay for you, for me it is simply too much for a digital copy of a milked title with a bad reproduction cover sleeve.

11. bibijeebies

this might mean less sales and it proves why I never went into marketing:

DSMOV
    Digitally Sourced Music On Vinyl

I think this is quite accurate in most cases.

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

You mean their vinyl are digitally sourced?

joshm2286, Heckto35 and Spin33.3 like this.
  13. hodgo

Yes digitally sourced, the only exception to this I can think of are their pressings of Bob Dylan's mono LP's, for those they asked for and were sent by Sony analogue cutting plates (or whatever the terminology is) especially created for them by Chris Bellman who cut the Sony Legacy versions, so that MOV could create their own analogue pressings.

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Original pressings of Night & Day are plentiful, cheap, and sound great. Why pay $25-30 if you don't have to?

Christopher B, MielR and bibijeebies like this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Someone mentioned recently that MOV Rage Against the Machine S/T uses the original stamper of Bob Ludwigs all analog mastering.

I just ordered the Rage Against the Machine Live at Olympic Staidum album because it seems like the best option available for that recording and it was on sale. This will be my first MOV title.

Also, I've heard good things about the Alice and Chains live album.

16. bibijeebies

Not only that, but the original Night and Day on A&M was pressed at the very same pressing plant: CBS Haarlem and is a very good quality product.

joelee likes this.
  17. hodgo

That's quite possible, I quoted the Dylan mono titles because they were the only ones I knew about, MOV are upfront about their sources so if you contact them and ask they will tell you the source.

joshm2286 and Heckto35 like this.
  18. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

I don't care if they are digitally sourced or not because all their Slowdive re-issues are fantastic sounding!!!

19. simonux

simonux Custom Title

That is unlikely, I think they use the original UK mastering instead.

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Very happy with the ELO editions, actually just posted a needledrop in the Audio hardware section, The Crash Test Dummie album is nice also, thanks for the info williwoods for the slowdive, I need to grab those :)

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Repeating myself from previous threads on this subject. MOV are fine for post 80's material that is largely digital in the first place and probably lower resolution than their mastering chain. Generally avoid analogue recordings except the Dylan releases. I think there are other titles they do that use old metal parts or are mastered all analogue at other facilities. Price wise they are a little high especially as the European sourced Rhino releases (often KG or CB all analogue cuts) can be had for £15. Good pressings but for something like the Joe Jackson look for a minty original. This was done by Speakers Corner some years ago so it may be worth looking out for a copy though now likely expensive as a used LP.

Heckto35, vonwegen and bibijeebies like this.
  22. Yovra

Well, I mailed them, try to reach them on their forum page and on Facebook and they never answered me about any source. I think they should really mention the source if they advertise with words like 'audiophile' in their description. I know they just mean the quality of the vinyl as such, but they should be just be as 'proud' (or honest) about the source, I think.

Alan2 and HappyCycler like this.
  23. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I got the Alice In Chains - Dirt album from MOV!

I think it is a very good pressing and it sounds better than the CD!

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's not difficult to produce vinyl that sounds better than CD especially if they use high res digital files. Their cutting lathe is also DMM and I believe only handles digital sources.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. hodgo

I'm not sure that's the case because their Bob Dylan mono LP's are All Analogue.