Music On Vinyl releases of Michael Jackson?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ehmjay, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehmjay

ehmjay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello again everyone!

Yesterday I headed out to the local Toronto record stores and along the way I came across a few releases of some Michael Jackson stuff that I was not familiar with. It looked as though a company, Music On Vinyl, has re-released his Epic catalogue on vinyl (with apparently remastered analogue sources).

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone had heard these new transfers and what they thought? I have a few US/UK first pressings of Thriller (UK first pressings tend to be my favourite, sadly the second side always tends to be noisy from too much wear. haha) as well as the Thriller 25 Vinyl Release.

The fact they state that these are "remastered" has me worried, and since they're around $30 (Canadian) i'm hesitant to drop that much for something I already have.

That said, they also have Dangerous and Invincible which I *would* be interested in checking out if I could find them (the store I was at only had Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad).

Cheers!

2. bogglor

bogglor Forum Resident

I would really just find a good used copy of Off the Wall and eschew the remaster from MOV. It's very difficult for this album to sound bad on any clean copy, in my opinion. Thriller is a bit different animal. I would probably opt for the very commonly available reissue, not the MOV title.

3. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

MOV's Off the Wall sounds pretty bad to me.. a lot of sibilance. I guess it was cut too hot. Special Edition CD sounds much better.
    On the other hand I also have Bad and it sounds very good, way better than SE CD. But it is probably digitally sourced, I wish I had original to compare with.

4. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I bought Dangerous and thought it was pretty good. The vinyl is very quiet and it sounds reasonably good. I don't have an original, it does sound on the brighter side, but I think all the MJ releases are on the brighter side. I have domestic, Japanese, half-speed, remastered, etc. of several of the titles and they are on the brighter side. I will have to compare some of the songs on the latest release with those on the Dangerous to see the differences. I have only listened to one lp in the new boxset.

5. ehmjay

I just recently got the MOV release of Invincible and was quite impressed with how good it sounded (it was cheaper to get that than one of the original pressings, and I cant imagine it would sound much different).

It got me really curious about the other issues. I have original pressings of OTW, Thriller and Bad, so I would likely avoid the MOV ones since it'd be very hard for them to sound better than these first pressings.

But Dangerous is another animal... Since, again, it's likely cheaper to just pick up the MOV release than an original pressing... I wonder if anyone else has thoughts on that pressing of Dangerous?

6. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

Dangeorous on MOV is alright! Sounds much better than CD (special edition).
    I checked Thriller too, it sounds ok, but misses some magic. I dont know how else to describe it, but while very close to my japanese pressing it misses something that makes it sound special

7. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

The Mastersound Japanese pressing of Thriller is the one! Most of MJ's releases are bright no matter what version you purchase, so I don't think you can find one that doesn't have that articulate sound.

8. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

I just got the Dangerous one new from MOV and it was fantastic! My favorite album and now it had all these special layers I had never heard before, it was like I had never listened to it before, every osng sounded more lively (and not louder, I mean it was just a masterpiece of layers to hear). Does anyone know whats best, for records? To get an old bad , old off the wall, old thriller. Or to get Thriller 25 LP, or the MOV releases, thanks. I read a lot of people talking about how the original thriller with "Produced by Quincy" is best but no one really talks about if the Thriller 25 LP quality is better (I dont care about extra tracks but considering that they sell this one new for 20 aint bad). Any help would be appreciated.

9. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

Well I was able to get an original thriller for real cheap off ebay (9$ shipped with a few other MJ albums included ;) ) and decided after much thought to get the Invincible remaster for about 30 from a marketplace Amazon seller. There is an auction of the original Invincible going on ebay that ends soon and probably wont get that much but I cannot imagine a vinyl made in 2001 by Sony being that good quality, for the MOV release I read that they got the original master tapes for the Invincible release and digital copies for the other records. I am pretty excited to hear it because Invincible on CD sounds worse than Off The Wall Special Edition, the sound is way too loud and distorted but thats early 2000's for you. I have high hopes for this release and can give it a full review when it arrives.

10. ehmjay

I've now gotten the Off the Wall MOV - sounds AMAZING. Nice to have the remixed version on vinyl too - Rock With You DESERVES to have hand claps.

All in all VERY happy with it. Heard mixed reviews about Dangerous (good here, bad else where) but since getting an original seems next to impossible, and I've been so impressed with their other releases so far, I may just bite the bullet and get the MOV pressing.

11. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

A solution to the hot recordings, at least for Thriller is to source out the initial version where Quincey is the lone Producer. I have two copies, one is near mint, the other quite ragged. I have two of the ones where MJ is co-producer. The first batch are the ones to race towards, running and screaming, decapitating any in your path :nauga:

12. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

Well, that Invincible reisuue ended up being really good, not the most incredibly difference but way better than the CD, less compression and better range, you can hear the vocals a lot better but more so the instrumentation, its pricey but worth it for an MJ fan. Got originals though of OTW Thriller (with only Quincy Producer Credit) and Bad which are fantastic too.

13. ehmjay

I agree, the MOV pressing of Invisible is stellar. Still not sure if it was mastered from 44/16 or 48/96 but either way it sounds SO much better than the CD.

14. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

agreed that dangerous sounds pretty good, a bit bright. but i haven't heard the original vinyl.

i find that the original bad/thriller albums seem like the vocals are a little recessed at times and the instrumentals are a bit forward, maybe my copies are just worn. may try out the MOV versions

15. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

tightplatonic I would not recomment getting the MOV reissues for OTW, Bad, and Thriller, they used the mixes for the 2001 special edition CDs on those ones, wrote it on their website. Dangerous and Invincible they used the masters. Those wouldnt even be worth risking your money anyways, Invincible and Dangerous are expensive (and apparently badly pressed) as originals anyways so they were definitely worth it. MJs vocals sound slightly strange on all the vinyls I own (everything but HIStory and Blood on the Dance Floor), like his high notes can be slightly static even on the originals but instrumentation is always amazing, so its not a problem with your copies.

16. Sandeep725

Sandeep725 Forum Resident

As an MJ collector, I stumbled onto this forum. There's some absolutely incredible info on this board. Just to add my 10c here - the MOV pressing of Invincible is awesome. Much less compressed than the CDs and sounds fantastic. For any collectors it's also worth picking up a vinyl edition of BOTDF/History In The Mix, which contains a slightly different edit of This Time Around - DM Mad Club Mix.

17. boomtheroom

boomtheroom New Member

do u mean the mov version of dangerous used the master tapes? and it still sounds bad?

18. raizil

raizil New Member

Recently bought Japanese pressed and its just kinda distorted on the last tracks of each sides. Side A, Thriller. Side B, The Lady in My Life.
    What about the MOV Thriller, since its almost gonna cost me the same if i want to get the first pressing. I'm from Kuala Lumpur. If you dont compare them side by side, is it still a great sounding vinyl?

19. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Bad is always going to be digitally sourced regardless of format as it was tracked and mixed digitally.

20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I've got music on vinyl releases of bad and thriller, I've just been listening to Bad and it sounds great, there lovely pressing's.

Was wondering if anyone knows much about the three reissues of off the wall, thriller and bad being released in May ?

I want to buy off the wall but I'm not sure weather to go with the music on vinyl release to go with my others or wait for the reissue in May.

The music on vinyl releases are lovely gatefolds and inserts compared to the originals, I bought bad on vinyl in 87 and had the original thriller , not sure what press but these music on vinyl are the best I've heard so far IMO.

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I would like to know this too.

22. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Just reading this thread and wondered if there was any news on the re-issues referenced above?

23. Domnation

Domnation Member

Sibilance........ That 's the word for the Dangerous reissue MOV. Otherwise sound quit good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.