Music purchased that spent the shortest time in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not including returns/exchanges for defects

* changed title from Vinyl to Music to be more inclusive :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

The Rhino reisue of The Left Banke Walk Away Renee/Pretty Balerina. Gave it to a friend after one listen, it was so terrible.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. boe

boe Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane /Bark. It lasted 24 hours before it was sailed into Boulder Canyon.

RudolphS, Frosst, oldjollymon and 3 others like this.
  4. Michael Rose

One of the first NEW records I bought was Animals As Leaders S/T re-issue.

[​IMG]

I saw them play a song or two in some festival on MTV Live (formerly Palladia). I thought this was some interesting metal instrumental. I had just started collecting vinyl for the first time since the 80's. I saw this record at a shop in Jan 2017. I bought it thinking it would be cool to start my collection with something new and a little challenging to the ears. It was an awesome double Red/Blue vinyl. I sold it off two weeks later after two full listens. NOT for me. Too much jazz/metal and very much in the higher end (sonically) for me to groove to.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Musically, it's hard to think of much because I like to give things a few listens before writing it off as 'not for me'.

I kept a collection of Tom Waits vinyl for around 7 years and I can't stand him! I think I still have one of them. A friend got ten of his albums spanning from Closing Time to Frank's Wild Years from a car boot sale. He got them home and realised he didn't like Tom Waits when he played them. He sold them to me for £1 each and then I did the same!

A DOL label reissue of Chuck Berry - One Dozen Berrys I got last week sounds so bad I intended to throw it out, but I can't bring myself to do it. I love Chuck Berry!

Rickchick and Michael Rose like this.
  6. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I bought about 30 used LP's at a second hand place a couple summers ago. Got home and was cleaning them when I noticed a "Cher" greatest hits LP. Didn't even clean it - went right into the fire pile. Man I enjoyed watchin' that go up in smoke the same day lol ;)

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I ended up with a copy of Stars by Simply Red because I bought a pile of records very cheap for the nice case they were in. I totally destroyed it straightaway as I didn't want to be seen with it!

Coincidentally there was a Cher double greatest hits in that lot, a still sealed double LP from the early 90s. That did quite well on eBay for me.

Jimmy Agates, Fullbug, DTK and 2 others like this.
  8. Not vinyl, but if we're just talking about quick turnovers: an album called Go, Fluffy, Go! by a band called, well, Fluffy. I'd bought it from a usually-reliable online dealer who'd said it sounded like the Jesus and Mary Chain, which it most assuredly did not - it was fairly crappy alt-garage rock. I unloaded it within the month via eBay to a rabid Rick Springfield collector, who wanted it simply because it had a cover of "Jessie's Girl" on it.

The only vinyl example I can think of is my unloading New Order's Substance once I got the CD version, but that had been in my collection for about four years by then - once something goes in, it rarely goes back out. That was actually one of the only albums I sold after getting it on CD.

9. Michael Rose

7 years is a LONG time to keep a collection you can't stand. Did you forget you had the records or forget you hated TW? :)

oldjollymon likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The McCartney UK 12" of Temporary Secretary and Secret Friend.
    I was nauseated and ashamed to own it. Took it to a used vinyl store in 2 days and got 3/4 of what I paid for it.

Ethan B, Man at C&A and Spadeygrove like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Even though the CD of Substance is missing all the B-sides, I prefer the vinyl. It's the right length to play in one sitting, there's no crap or boring tracks and it sounds superb. The embossed glossy sleeve is very nice too. I like it so much I've never bothered with the CD.

RobNeil and ribonucleic like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wasn't familiar with Tom Waits when I bought them but they were so cheap and I knew his albums are quite scarce. I liked the odd track, but never his singing, and they are so highly regarded I thought 'I must be missing something'.

After a few years I still couldn't enjoy whole albums so I traded them in. If I wasn't unemployed at the time and there wasn't an amazing post punk / early indie collection in my favourite record shop, I might still have them. I gave a couple to a good friend who loves Tom Waits. To be honest, while knowing he's a real talent, the more I hear him, the less I like him.

I've just looked and I still have Frank's Wild Years. For some reason I had two of those.

I think the copy of The Fall - Dragnet in my avatar was part of the trade I got for them.

hi_watt and Michael Rose like this.
  13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Keith Emerson-Off The Shelf

I should've known by the cheesy cover but I took a chance. Ugh!

14. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

I loaned a friend my CD of Portishead - Dummy and said, "I'd prefer if you didn't give this back."

Tokyo Ghost, yarbles, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm really happy to have that in my collection!

16. Nothing,

At this point, with such low trade in value with cds anything I buy I keep,
    and I never get rid of vinyl either after one disastrous trade in the beginning of the cd era.

One thing I did get rid of early was the Marc Bolan/Trex box, 4cds of of his three chord one rhythm boogie choogaloo was very testing.

But eventually I find there is a place for most music I buy, if not now, eventually, there are so many roads to follow they eventually lead to artists you might need to reconsider.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A lot of us did that! Luckily I kept most of mine and I've managed to get the ones I sold that I care about again. I kept on buying vinyl, new and second hand, throughout the CD era, but some I sold, probably more to do with being skint than format, cost a small fortune now. Mostly Metal or early 90s indie.

zphage likes this.
  18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I keep everything

19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sting - Ten Summoners Tales

Northwind and Fullbug like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I still own it but Boston's Walk On was terrible. Walked into a music store once when I was young and naive, heard a couple of minutes of the title track blasting away and thought this sounded good so I bought it. The sole time I ever did that and I regretted it.

The salesman should've tried to steer me towards their first album, which I didn't own, back then.

seed_drill likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Really? Surprising. I think it's his last good album. Aside from the elevator music-sounding Fields Of Gold, it's an album I quite enjoy.

22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yeah. In retrospect it’s not that bad. There was just something about it that made me feel he was done making anything good. Plus he used the same band on Soul Cages...he was settling in kind of.
    My thinking was, if he’s gonna record with the same band, either use the Police or the Blue Turtles Band.

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Acquired all the Doors LPs in 7th grade - meaning I dug them enough to pick them all up - and albums were a pretty big purchase for me then as they were about two weeks allowance and I wasn't getting rich delivering a weekly local paper on my bike. Bought into the whole Morrison as rock and roll poet meets shaman trip.

Sold them all used in 8th grade by which time I had decided Morrison was more a childish fool.

Still enjoy Riders on the Storm and the Feliciano version of Light My Fire.

Rickchick, yarbles and Keith V like this.
  24. Bought the 2005 Dave Matthews Band studio album (CD) Stand Up and returned it ~3 days later, claiming it wouldn't work in my wife's car CD player. They offered to replace it with another, and I said I was sure that the replacement probably wouldn't play either - could I please just get a refund? [Hint: it played just fine in her car.]

I bought TONS of music from this store, like 5-10 CD's a week, easily 20-25 CD's a month (some months even more, occasionally), for years. They took it back, and I got a full refund -- and I think it was the only CD I ever did that with. My wife was the much bigger DMB fan, and she really (really) disliked the album -- immediately, like she instantly hated it (we both did). Comically bad. Tragically bad. Oh, so bad.

Not sure they would have taken it back like that from too many other folks, but hell -- 90% of the people who worked there thought I *used* to work there at some point in the past (and I even got an "employee" discount from some of them), even though I *never* worked there (or in any record/CD store, ever).

I just used to hang out there so much, 2-3 days a week, and buy so much, they all thought sure I'd worked there before. I used to be able to wander back in the stock-room on Monday's over lunch or after work, and peruse what was going out the next day. Became good friends with their classical buyer too (he was the classical buyer for their whole chain, Streetside Records in Kansas City).

I would occasionally buy brand new releases on Mondays before release day (Tuesdays), but always with a check that I had to post-date to the next day. I rarely did that, but I do remember buying Jason Moran's 3rd leader-date (he's a jazz pianist) on September 10th, 2001 (the day before 9/11).

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sean Lennon - Into the Sun

Fullbug and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.