Music related things that finally dawn on you. 2 of mine were Beatles related.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I probably heard of Ringo's band a million times but never thought to check the spelling.
    Then one day it hit me.
    I bet it's spelled All Starr and not All Star.
    There it was, the whole time that was the reason for the title in the first place.
    Then how many times had I read about or talked about Julian Lennon?
    How many times had I referenced John's mother's name Julia.
    Then it hit me Julian was named after Julia.

Bevok likes this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Okay no examples?

3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

"That 45 came with a picture sleeve?" - Me many times I come home with a handful of 45's with no picture sleeves that originally came with one.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

For more than 40 years I owned and was very familiar with The Beatles’ performance of A Taste of Honey. I also was very familiar with the Herb Alpert instrumental called A Taste of Honey ever since it was a hit single. I liked it and I often played it on a compilation CD of instrumentals that I owned. But for 40-plus years I would have sworn they were two entirely different songs that happened to share the same title. I simply heard nothing in them that was even remotely similar. Finally, a few years ago, I was listening to Alpert’s version on the deck outside and as I sat and listened to the ending (which parallels The Beatkes’ arrangement) I realized they were the same song. Duh!

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It just now dawned on me this is another Beatles thread. :cool:

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

One more: I failed for 40 years to pick up on the similarity of the opening lines in these two songs:

I’LL GET YOU
    Imagine I’m in love with you,
    It’s easy ‘cause I know...

IMAGINE
    Imagine there’s no heaven,
    It’s easy if you try....

notesfrom, ajsmith, FJFP and 6 others like this.
  7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I know I've had many of these moments but I cannot for the life of me recall any of them right now. :sigh:

905 likes this.
  8. groff

groff Forum Resident

More Beatles-related. Listening to I Will for the gazillionth time I realized Paul was singing the bass.

whisper3978 likes this.
  9. Darienzo

Darienzo Forum Resident

A few years ago, while listening to “Every Night” from McCartney, I discovered that the chorus has the same melody as You Never Give Me Your Money...
    Later, I found out that Paul likes very much that melody, because he does variations of the same idea in Silly Love Songs, I’m Carrying, Love In Song and Junior’s Farm...

whisper3978 likes this.
  10. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

For a couple years in my teens in the 80s, when I heard people talking about "Metallica" I thought they were taking about a subgenre of metal

notesfrom, drum_cas, Baidur and 2 others like this.
  11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Two that came to mind for me:

* On John Coltrane's Impressions album, after the title track, he mumbles something off mic that's hard to hear. It turns out he's saying "So What -- I mean, uh, Favorite Things." He's cuing the band to go into the next song, but mistakenly calls for the one they just finished. "Impressions" was derived from the changes of Miles's "So What."

* A larger realization was when I realized how much of the alto saxophone playing, and to a lesser extent how much of the lead guitar, on Van Morrison's albums was played by Van himself. He has a quite distinctive sound on both instruments.

notesfrom and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

One occurred to me today: I’ve been listening to the Spirit song Fresh Garbage for 50 years now. I always heard the lyrics as “ look beneath your lips a moment”. Today it dawned on me the line is “look beneath your lid some morning”. Makes more sense!

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

OMG another Beatle related one for me.
    Thanks of course to the inaccurate lyrics on 2 different Best Of Lennon Collections, and my own ears,
    I thought until a couple of years ago that at the beginning of Happy Xmas (War Is Over) that Yoko whispered Happy Christmas Yoko and John whispered Happy Christmas John, sort of a little joke that instead of giving the greeting to each other they gave it to themselves.
    I just learned like 2 Christmases ago they both give the greeting to their children at the time.
    (Neither of who lived with them)
    Happy Christmas Kyoko, Happy Christmas Julian.

14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I only clicked last week that the sign on Paul McCartney's desk in Magical Mystery Tour that reads "I Was (a picture of Lord Kitchener)" was a reference to the fashionable 60's Carnaby Street store called I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet. The shop spearheaded the boom in military outfits in the 60s and their sign was very similar to the sign on Paul's desk. Every band of the day bought their stuff from this shop.

numer9 and notesfrom like this.
  15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Of all the U.S. Beatles 45 picture sleeves, it's just the Fab Four...
    Then I recalled that "The Ballad of John And Yoko" / "Old Brown Shoe"
    has Yoko picture with The Beatles on both sides.

No biggie, no problem... just had forgotten about it the last forty something years.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A couple of years after buying the original UK CD of Radiohead's Kid A, I read about the insert under the disk tray. I pulled the CD out of my collection, lifted up the tray, and there it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.