Music Stores In D.C.

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Reader, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reader

Reader Senior Member Thread Starter

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Music forum or the Off topics forum, but it is music related. I'm gonna be in Washington D.C. for a few days and was wondering if anyone had any music stores other than Towers and the big chains that they would recommend checking. I'd like to find some imports or DCC gold discs. Any stores that specialize in vinyl?
    Help!!!! I really like the small out of the way shops.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Alas, you missed Yesterday and Today Records in Rockville, Md. -- he just closed his doors for good on Monday .... he's going entirely to mail order.

In the same neck of the woods, though, is Joe's Record Paradise, 1300 East Gude Drive, Rockville. If I'd had more time (I spent literally all day at Y&T), I'd have gone in there during my recent trip east. What I recall is that he has LOTS of vinyl, some of it rather inexpensive, too.

I don't know if he's still there, but I remember a guy in Dupont Circle who specialized in 12-inch singles.

The other thing I'd do is check the yellow pages once I got there. I do that any time I travel someplace.

3. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

DC music stores

Joes Record Paradise is the best in the area for vinyl IMO. Full of the stuff. Smells like a record shop too.

You need to get to the Shady Grove Metro and then catch a cab.

Joes has lots of cheap vinyl and some interesting CDs. Worth a visit.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: DC music stores

Joe's Record Paradise.
    Absolutely the best in the DC area. I go there at least once a month. Incredibly friendly staff. They even have a BIG pile of records for 99 cents many sealed or brand new that the store does not consider collectable or that they already have. So people (trying to sell their rejected records) that don't want to cart them back to their house just donate them. I have found many gems in this pile. I can't leave the store without spending at least $50.

Also try Second Story Books at the Dupont Circle Metro Stop or their Bethesda store somewhat near the Bethesda Metro stop.

Another...Bonifant Books very near the Wheaton Metro stop.

You can also try Orpheus Records very near the Clarendon Metro stop, but prices are very steep IMO.

Good luck.

BC

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Skip (the owner) is definitely a 45 rpm expert. If you need a 45 call him.

I have witness the death of 4 or 5 used record stores in the DC area (about one a year).

BC

6. japes

japes Senior Member

Smash Records in Georgetown is not too bad if your into the punk/new wave variety of stuff. They used to be in a larger store down the street from where they are now. Decent selection of vinyl and CD's as well as punk t-shirts, posters, and leather items (if your into that sort of thing).

Can't go wrong with Joe's in Rockville though.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Haven't been record shopping in the DC area in years, but as I recall, I found several Shaded Dogs in some used vinyl shops on Duke Street in Alexandria about 10 years ago. Also found a mint 360 label Dylan Highway 61 in one of them for $3.00.

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I believe the store you are talking about is:
    Record Mart
    217 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
    (703) 683-4583

I haven't been there in a couple of years (hopefully is not gone). Well worth visiting if you make it to Alexandria.

BC

9. Martin M

Martin M Forum Resident

"I haven't been there in a couple of years (hopefully is not gone). "

I think it shut in June actually.

10. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Oh no, another one bites the dust. Sad...eBay is really doing a number on these brick and mortar stores.
    BC

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Yes, it did shut in June. BUT the good news is a new store opened in the same place selling used vinyl and CDs. It is called LUNADISCS and they inherited the same phone number.

BC

12. Reader

Reader Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations. If I pick up anything special I'll let you know.

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Hey BC, I don't get back "home" as often as I would like, but when I graduated from Lee High School on Franconia Road, it was just a 2 lane road, and that area where Springfield Mall now sits was a farmer's field. I said 10 years ago was when I bought those albums down on King Street, but the more I think about it, it was probably closer to 20 years ago. Was home for my 40th anniversary class reunion last June and was hoping to meet up with krabapple. Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

sgb,
    You must then remember the good old days of Giant Music, Korvettes, the disc shop, and Pinguin Feather.

BC

ZippyPippy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.