Music that makes/made you feel old?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katieinthecoconut, Nov 8, 2018.

1. 4Ever

4Ever New Member

This

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days, Thunder Road, and Born To Run.
    Any Mojo Nixon; talk about dated music.
    The Beach Boys' When I Grow Up To Be A Man.
    Stiff Little Fingers' Gotta Gettaway.
    The Clash's Stay Free.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Dude don't be dissin' the Mojo Man

He was the headliner at the greatest club show I ever saw

Furnier and Dopey like this.
  4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

any sort of nostalgia for old rap

Doesn't make feel old. Just sort of.... confused.

5. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Everything has a twenty-something or younger in the video.
    Genre is irrelevant.

But honestly...
    I've never been.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

I saw him a few times myself;
    all his stuff, well a lot, was topical;
    it lends itself to being dated.

7. PeppersOnWax

PeppersOnWax Active Member

I listened to Beastie Boys growing up. I'm kinda young-ish. I'm not old, but I don't think a young person would know they paved the way for Drake, etc.

8. eric777

eric777 Rock Star

Simply being out of touch with today's music makes me feel old. The fact that I have no desire to get in touch with today's music makes me feel older.

lightbulb, John B Good and Mark B. like this.
  9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Artists like Beyoncé, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake pushing 40 makes me feel a bit old

Unrelated to music but Freshman in Uni. this year were born in 2000 mostly and most kids in HS weren't even alive when 9/11 happened. You can all feel old now.

10. PeppersOnWax

PeppersOnWax Active Member

I was in HS when 9/11 happened. I was born in '85. I'm 33. Anyone ~25 or under most likely don't even really know what 9/11 was. It's just some thing they read about. Which absolutely blows my mind, because I'm not old.. or apparently I am. The effed up part is that so many other tragedies have happened, it's diluted 9/11's importance.

lightbulb likes this.
  11. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Almost ANYTHING recorded THIS decade ... I just can't relate.

lightbulb likes this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Forum Resident

I like the Jam a lot - in fact, far more than I did at the time - but listening to them makes me feel very old.

Not because their themes have dated (they're as relevant as ever, if not more so): but I end up thinking, 'Here we are - still facing the same problems.'

John B Good likes this.
  13. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This is true, I was 5 during 9/11 but don't really remember the day. But at least I was alive.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

EDM. But it's more, hey this is mostly really bad music but the kids like it, rather than oh gosh why can't I appreciate this.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Great example.

The thing that usually makes me feel old is realising how long ago music came out that I regard as in some vague sense “current”. As in, Yeah, I keep up with music ... I'm hip to The Stone Roses and Radiohead. But those are, like, soooo last century, Daddy-O!

It doesn't help when I look at my music purchases at the end of the year and I've bought a load of new material: all from artists who are older than I am. Yet still I flatter myself that I'm on the bleeding edge because I bought a stack of releases from sexagenarian John Zorn. :sigh:

caravan70 likes this.
  16. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

Greta Van Fleet
    (or any heavily nostalgic/revivalist act for that matter)

17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

New

I could keep up with things before marriage and kids.

Then i became a DJ for 4 years and found out i was not missing too many riches.

18. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Music makes me feel young - that excitement which doesn't come as much as it did when we were first discovering life.

Geee! and bru87tr like this.
  19. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

This.

eric777 likes this.
  20. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

By now...ALL of it.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I understood what they were going for musically and I got into it. I never understood those who dismiss Nirvana whole cloth and I never understood the visceral hatred of Oasis.

During the 80s, a lot of my friends were metal heads and those that weren't mostly listened to arena rock and heartland rock. In other words, everything spoon-fed to them by rock radio. The only time any of them ever heard anything alt/indie was when I put it on. Seeing Duran Duran on MTV was a close as they ever came to anything post-punk.

I heard Nevermind before I heard Bleach, but I heard them both just before Nirvana became big stars. I had already heard US bands like Pixies and Dinosaur Jr; British bands like the Smiths and the Jesus & Mary Chain. There was a vibe in the air, but as far as I was concerned, grunge wasn't cutting edge and it wasn't a part of a movement.

Work and other adult responsibilities had kicked in. Maybe I was just too old to be a part of it. But it was kick@$$ and classic rock radio was already stale even then. Every time they played Even Flow was a time I didn't have to listen to More Than A Feeling or Dream On again.

Britpop didn't really crossover to the US charts and airwaves. I only knew the bands that made the British chart, so I was only scratching the surface.

With both, the commercialization and the re-commercialization happened almost overnight. Next thing I see is the trades using the terms post-grunge and then post-Britpop. The bloom really came off the rose with Cobain's suicide and Noel's hop-knobbing over at No. 10 Downing.

Django and mark winstanley like this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I like to say, Old's Cool.

I usually feel like an Old Soul anyway.

"Flip Flop Fly", I know I'm gonna die...

A6mzero likes this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I think a poet called that Pro-regress.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When I'm talking to another music buff who is younger than I am but still pretty up on bands from the 70's if not the late 60's... and he says:

"Yeah I know most of that music because my Dad liked it and listened to it"

So I feel boxed in as an old person like their Dad, and further from where they stand. Not young like them.

caravan70 likes this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Forum Resident

I tend to feel old and somewhat depressed when i hear certain/most Bob Seger songs.