Musical Fidelity V90 LPS Phono Stage Upgrade Power Supply

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking at getting a cheaper option upgrade power supply rather than the expensive Musical Fidelity V-PSU for my Musical Fidelity V90 LPS phono preamp. Is there a cheaper option? Im not sure if the stock "wall wart" is a regulated or unregulated PSU.

2. EvUnen

EvUnen New Member

I bought a couple of ferrite beads (pack of 5) on AliExpress for $2 and places those on the power cord, now all static noise is gone. Improved the sound quality a lot.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

V PSU has now been discontinued in any case. Power regulation is likely in the main case. The PS is a switch mode AC to DC converter which in this case doesn't appear to be dumping audible noise into the mains. A 'better' linear supply is going to cost more than the phono stage itself.

4. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

5. Classicrock

No good for UK voltage as an Amazon UK reviewer found. There is a proper V90 model available for £159 from William Thakker. Other bespoke supplies from hi-fi accessory vendors such as MCRU aren't significantly cheaper.
    Musical Fidelity UPS Upgrade Power Supply for MX-VYNL/V90: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

6. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

7. Classicrock

Illegal in EU due to not being CE certified. I'm also not sure the rating would be correct as the MF is 500mA and 12v. Also will invalidate remaining warranty. I checked prices of 3rd party and Longdog Audio is £225 min and S Booster (Holland) 300 Euro. These may better the MF own product but it appears a relative bargain at current price (though there is obviously a large mark up). Anyway have one on order and will report difference and compare with the more expensive NVA with twin PS (much bigger power supplies).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Hmm, that power supply is sold in the UK and is meant to be used there. It also has the CE marking on the back. As far as the current or amps go, the preamp only draws what it needs, and the psu supplies no more than that. I highly doubt it would invalidate the warranty. Either way no big deal. I have gone this route in the USA and it works for me and many others who have done the same thing. It is a sound quality upgrade and is much cheaper than the crazy prices Musical Fidelity wants for their psu. I was only trying to offer a cheaper alternative. Good luck and enjoy the music.

9. Classicrock

Could not see a CE mark in the picture - that PS is for bench testing. The MF appears to be at cheap end of the 'audiophile' PS on offer and it doesn't look pig ugly. I'm also sceptical of China made PS that are not up to our actual 240v on UK mains. If it's £40 it likely has £4 of parts.

10. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Actually the power supply is quite nice. It is not for just bench testing. It is made for running ham radio equipment that is much more sensitive to emi, rf and other noise/interference/fluctuations, than audio equipment.
    It is a linear supply and not a switching supply.
    There is no voodoo in making a 12v dc linear power supply. It is simple circuit and after a few important factors are met anything more is just fluff. (when I say this I mean wallwart replacement power supplies)
    The question is the "audiophile" stuff really any better?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.