Musical jokes in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I remembered something else that would fit this thread.

Not long after Kevin Smith's "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was released, I saw a workprint version of the film that sounded pretty well mixed, but contained music that did not appear in the final cut. Some of the background music referenced previous films, such as "Can't Even Tell" from "Clerks" playing in the Quick Stop scene and "Miss Misery" playing in the "Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season" scene. There was one very inside joke in this workprint, however. During the scene where Jay & Silent Bob meet up with the character of Holden from "Chasing Amy," the background music is Weezer's "Pink Triangle." This song about falling in love with a lesbian came out so closely to Smith's "Chasing Amy" that Smith's message board was bombarded with comments about the song. This rough version of the scene even made it to NBC's Tonight Show when smith appeared to promote "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back."

2. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

Wayne's World - "Who's Playing Today?" Jolly Green Giants...

Eric B. likes this.
  3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Funniest musical joke I've ever seen in a movie is in Role Models when in at least a couple points somebody mentions their favorite song by Wings is "Love Take Me Down To The Streets" and Rudd's character keeps saying "That's not a Wings song" or even a real song and everybody insists that it is. Then during the end credits of the movie the song is actually played and it sounds exactly like a Wings song. Very funny.

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Stealers Wheels 'Stuck in the middle with you' Reservoir Dogs.............no?

Eric B. likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How was that a "musical joke"?

6. kath

kath Well-Known Member

there's the floating pig in children of men.

okay, i guess that would have to be a very dark, orwellian kind of humor.

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

as they were both in the middle of the garage while the torture scene took place?..........tenuous at best,i know.

8. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

2:15-3:00. I especially like that he spares the Stone Roses' second album.

9. Oatsdad

Yeah, you got that right. "Tenuous" isn't just a river in Egypt! :laugh:

10. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

That clip went really well with the some Zombie like music on side two of I Robot which I just happened to be listening to at the time.

11. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

The first time I enjoyed this was in Dallas when the movie was released. This brief scene and another one about the Alamo cracked up the whole audience.

Eric B. likes this.
  12. Well, she is an American Girl and he did make her torture by keeping her in the pit last all night.

Monosterio likes this.
  13. Sadly my writing skills deteriorate when I'm taking medication.

14. Oatsdad

Nah - your writing skills have always been questionable! ;) :D

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Back then I thought it was a song about a girl who died, and when the girl in Silence of the Lambs sings along to it just before running into Buffalo Bill, I took it as a sick joke on Jonathan Demme's part.

Later, though, I read that Demme was a UF grad and a big Petty fan, which probably explains why the song is there.

16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

John Travolta as the Angel in the movie Michael, speaking to some mortals:

Angel: Remember what John and Paul said.
    Mortals: The Apostles?
    Angel: No, the Beatles!

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The 'musical lock' in Willy Wonka was meant to be a joke, which ended up not coming off at all.

He played a Mozart piece (or some other composer) that the filmmakers assumed the audience would recognize, and then laugh when Mrs. Teevee identified it as "Rachmaninoff." No one got it. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.