Musicians coming from middle class or high classes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by veloso2, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

hello i need examples for a text of musicians coming from middle class or higher classes of the society, mainly in europe? have you go names? isn't brian eno one of them??
    thank you by advance!!

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

All of Pink Floyd were very middle class, what?

mando_dan likes this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Brian Eno didn't come from the 'higher classes' of society. The terms 'middle class' and 'higher class' are pretty difficult to determine.

Siegmund likes this.
  4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

If you want to list musicians from middle class backgrounds prepare for the longest thread in internet history!

5. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

The Genesis lads (Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford, Phillips) were from fairly well off families, and went to the esteemed Charterhouse public school in England. (Collins and Hackett who joined later were not.)

6. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

are you sure, because i thought many were coming from working class no??

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember a snarky appraisal of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" going something like, Rock and Roll is so democratic that even rich people can do it.

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Define working class and middle class. It's even possible that most musicians are from middle class backgrounds - I would say that was certainly true of musicians in the UK in 2020.

Rufus McDufus and dubious title like this.
  9. Roland Stone

I would think private school/public school would be an important marker, perhaps more so in the UK.

Oddly, those two words -- public and private -- have the exact opposite meanings in the US and UK in reference to schools, so adjust accordingly . . .

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I would say someone like Carly Simon (of Simon & Schuster fame) and a band mostly comprising of Old Carthusians qualify as coming from the higher echelons of society!

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Mike Bloomfield was American but he came from a very wealthy family. Alas, he still struggled with personal demons that ultimately took him down at an early age.

misteranderson and Siegmund like this.
  12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not really, here in the UK both Public and Private schools are fee paying otherwise school for the majority is just school, paid for from taxes.

Mal likes this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Gram Parsons
    David Crosby
    James Taylor
    Yoko Ono
    Mick Jagger
    Jakob Dylan
    Julian Lennon
    Sean Lennon
    Zak Starkey
    Wilson Phillips
    Nancy Sinatra
    Ravi Coltrane

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I wonder what percentage of forum members are middle class or upper class?

JoeF., Sean, eric777 and 6 others like this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

As explained above, neither of these identifiers designates a state school over here.

State school - Wikipedia

Deek57 likes this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Well, Gram Parsons was the grandson of a citrus fruit magnate (in fact, here’s a Wiki Page on the dude himself:John A. Snively - Wikipedia )

Lowell George was the son of furrier Willard George, who supplied fur to the top film studios as well as stars like Lucille Ball and Rita Hayworth.

Henry Vestine from Canned Heat (and a one time Mother like Lowell, funny enough) was the son of geophysicist Ernest Vestine.

And since we already named two Mothers, how bout Mother Superior himself, who was the son of a chemist and mathmatition who worked in the defense industry.

And I have to mention Jagger and Jones from the Stones.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Florian Schneider-Esleben of Kraftwerk, for sure, and I don't exactly know Ralf Hütter's background but one of the things you always hear about Kraftwerk is that Ralf and Florian came from wealthy families.

pantofis, andrewskyDE and Echo like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I expect quite a high percentage as music is not a cheap hobby and we all have a decent amount of leisure time

Rob Hughes, Sean, Elliottmarx and 3 others like this.
  19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The guys in Phish are from pretty privileged backgrounds.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Why does it matter what background an artist has/had?

BrettyD, Luisboa and MungoMusic like this.
  21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It doesn't matter. It's not where you're from, but where you're at/what you're like.

It only matters when people from less well-off backgrounds are prevented from accessing the same opportunities.

At least, that's my take.

22. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel? Weren't the Clash a bit posher than they seemed?

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I susect from the 80s on more and more musicians were from more privileged backgrounds as barriers to entry became higher

24. Roland Stone

Can you share what the differences are, then? For years the British public/private thing threw me and I hate to think I've had it all wrong again!

In the US, we have have public schools, which are the standard-issue, publicly-funded schools most attend.

Private schools are usually religiously affiliated and are supported by tuition and their churches. But these are often attended by middle class kids whose parents are trying to improve their child's education with little concern for the religious baggage.

And then there are expensive, non-religious private boarding schools that are often referred to as academies or prep schools, where the rich send their kids.

25. YNWaN

YNWaN Forum Resident

Laura Marling - her father is Sir Charles William Somerset Marling (5th Baronet).

Mr. Bewlay and LilacTeardrop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.