Musicians in bands that dont get enough credit or accolades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wombat Reynolds, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

robert holmes guitarist of til tuesday...
    the 1st album and the video of the roxy concert shows him well....love his tone and 80s flanger style.

2. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Robby Kreiger
    John Densmore
    Ray Manzarek
    Stewart Copeland
    Andy Summers
    Eric Johnson!!!!
    John Paul Jones

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

I totally agree. Been listening to a lot of Hollies recently. Nash's guitar was a prop, so the instrumental section was just Hicks, bass & drums...with a few embellishments on the recordings. His name doesn't get dropped often, but he's been with the band since the beginning, co-wrote many of their hits, created all those classic guitar hooks AND was the third voice in that remarkable vocal blend.

veloso2 likes this.
  4. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Talking Heads' rhythm section of Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth

arisinwind, Jazzmonkie, SG47 and 3 others like this.
  5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Copeland definitely gets his due, although maybe not for his excellent work as a film composer. As an aside, he has the largest hands I have ever seen in my life

6. I actually think Love gets, well, too much love for what he did.

sekaer and oldsurferdude like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I imagine there are two or three people tucked away in the Amazon jungle who are unaware...;)

sekaer and ARK like this.
  8. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

I always wondered about Mick Harvey's input in the projects he's in, I'm not very into his solo work, but it seems his contribution is valuable to Nick Cave (was) and PJ Harvey

9. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

[​IMG]

Ian McLagan.

His keyboard work with Small Faces and Faces is so understated. He was tasteful, never overplayed a song. He knew just what a song needed. His solo albums are underrated not because people don't like them, it's because people don't know about them. I was fortunate enough to see his Bump Band in Austin, TX in August 2014. I got to hang out with him afterward and he was so nice and made me feel welcome. I still can't believe it's nigh on a year since his passing. It affected me big time.

10. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

Barry Bailey, Atlanta Rhythm Section

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Oh, I think Stewart loves himself enough for all of us...LOL!

Ed

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  12. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

[​IMG]

Along with many already mentioned. Got out with his sanity.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  13. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

Alex Lifeson, Andy Summers, John Paul Jones, and Mick Taylor would be my choices as well.

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Mick Taylor 'till the last 10 years or so....I think now even the most casual Stones fan know how key he was to the Stones sound

Zoot Marimba and zelox like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Ringo! There. I said it.

16. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Untrue. I was speaking to a friend about just that a few days ago and she was unaware. That's what reminded me.

And no, she's not tucked away in the Amazon jungle. ;)

17. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Rob Malone who plays bass with David Gray and used to be in Hothouse Flowers for a while. He may well be the best unknown bassist. Back in the mid- to late 00s, he played in a band called Superseeds with Derek Herbert as the singer. I'd love to find their album (if there ever was one) but the band didn't exist past the MySpace era. And they probably didn't tour outside of Ireland either.

18. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

Neal Schon

jwjeffrey and ARK like this.
  19. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Brian Johnson.

He's one of the most distinctive voices in rock history (even when his chords were shot for a few years) ... He pulled off the impossible and helped pull a band back from certain extinction .... He's the voice and lyricist on the second highest selling album in history ... He helped pioneer heavy metal singing at the dawn of the 80's, .... He has successfully fronted one of the top bands on the planet for 35 years ..... yet you can't even mention him without the same 10 fans dissing/bashing him and bullying other fans into adopting their opinions on the band's "Brian era" output.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Haggis Wampovich and ARK like this.
  20. Graham Maby, Joe Jackson's bass player. Very inventive.
    Gary W. Tallent, bass player for the E Street Band. He plays in a huge band so he has to keep his lines simple but somehow manages to inject as much melody as possible into them. And he's never mentioned in favourite bass players lists.

veloso2 and erikdavid5000 like this.
  21. éder

éder Forum Resident

Tom chaplin of Keane - an absolutely brilliant vocalist. A pure voice. In some ways he reminds me of an english morten Harket. I Can imagine him doing a stunning cover of 'the sun always shines on tv ' or 'hunting high and low'.. but he can also sing Queen songs in the same key as freddie and do them justice. Superb voice.. but i'm not a big fan of keane..

Matt Cameron of Soundgarden. I dont hear him mentioned much in discussions on great drummers. But he's one of my favourites. He makes odd time signatures flow together seamlessly..a very interesting player.

22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Dave Davies & Mick Avory

23. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I don't think Mick Jones gets enough recognition for his musicality and excellent songwriting within The Clash. A darn good guitarist too. Totally overshadowed by Joe Stummer, who deserves all the recognition he gets, but Mick was the Ying to his Yang!

Jack Lord, petem1966 and Koabac like this.
  24. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Ian Stewart, Rolling Stone. I'm sure there are people who could name all of the other Stones who don't even know who he is.

25. Bernie Leadon

Clive Burr (Iron Maiden)

Steven Adler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.