Musicians in bands that dont get enough credit or accolades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wombat Reynolds, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Benjamin Orr. Not many people he sings more than Drive.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

1. Malcolm Young. The founder, the anchor, the main songwriter, but was always so low key compared to Angus.
    2. Alex Van Halen. While a lot of people would choose Michael, and I do love Michael, but truthfully, he gets plenty of love now. Nowadays, it's More Alex that gets the shaft, but his drumming is such a key part of Van Halen.
    3. Ronnie Lane. One of the main songwriters and secondary singer for Faces, but always overshadowed by everyone else, possibly because he kept a lower profile than everybody else.
    4. Garth Hudson. Multi-instrumentalist, primary arranger for The Band and it's most musically sophisticated member, but because he didn't sing and was a low key figure, he often went unnoticed.
    5. Jack Bruce. Singer, primary songwriter, but nowadays the most overlooked member of Cream. Bass Player Syndrome, I guess.

4. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Clarence, he really made an impact on those early Beatles records...

[​IMG]

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

And in my opinion the best Stones keyboardist after Nicky.

6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Richie Sambora

Witchy Woman likes this.
  7. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Maybe DURING the Clash's time as a band, but don't you think any misapprehension of Mick's talent, contribution and value was rectified in the "Cut The Crap"/Big Audio Dynamite aftermath following the Clash's demise?

Strummer then went into his "wilderness years" (where also produced several amazingly great, not widely known gems off the radar) while Mick had a run of hits and pretty much proved he had written the pretty much all the music and even a lot of the melodies for Joe's Lyrics in the Clash.

It wasn't until the Mescaleros that Joe really found his muse again - or found co-writers that could inspire him to greatness - which is just about the time BAD kinda fell apart and Mick's popularity waned.

I think the world now has a pretty clear picture that they were a Jagger/Richards, Morrissey/Marr-type duo who were always at their best when collaborating with each other. It's just a crying shame we lost Joe, especially before they could record the new Clash album they had completely written before he died.

8. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Whoever the Doors' bass player was.

Lilainjil likes this.
  9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Danny Kirwin in Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac.

Bob J, Crimson Witch and DTK like this.
  10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I love Jim Croce but Maury Muehleisen was pretty darn good as a side man. And I don't mean that negatively at all.

arisinwind likes this.
  11. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

This. :thumbsup:

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  12. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees

[​IMG]

Bob J, Aurora, AppleCorp3 and 2 others like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

Patrick Moraz (Moody Blues)

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Mike Love is a musician? What instrument is he not getting enough credit for?

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Paul Thompson of Roxy Music
    Mark Boston of the Magic Band
    Dennis Wilson - his drumming has always been underrated and many false stories about his not drumming on any of the Beach Boys hits has aggravated that

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Bill Wyman - Rolling Stones
    Dave Davies -- The Kinks
    Chris Dreja - The Yardbirds

17. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

The first one that popped into my mind was Garth, some of his fills in The Basement Tapes are just jaw dropping...an incredible talent

Jazzmonkie and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Larry Graham bass player for Sly and the Family Stone. First I heard playing that funky slap bass style.

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Other than them being married, which was part of the band's image, they were not that important to Talking Heads as musicians. Chris Frantz was an OK drummer, but nothing special. Tina Weymouth played the most rudimentary lines. Every other indie band has a female bassist, who is far more skilled.

Neither was in demand after the group broke up. As evidenced by Byrne's current show, they're both very replaceable.

Jerry Harrison, OTOH, put out some fine solo albums. Critics raved about Eno/Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts being the blueprint for Remain in Light. Listen to The Red and the Black, then think again.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Charlie Burchill, Simple Minds. Very inventive and tasteful.

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Theremin

22. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Andrew Ridgley

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have often thought that Colin Moulding's contributions to XTC are overshadowed by Andy Partridge.

Glen Matlock was probably the most musically-able member of the Sex Pistols and made significant contributions to the development of the Pistols during his membership, but this has been overshadowed by Johnny Rotten and Sid Viscous' outlandishness.

veloso2 likes this.
  24. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

John McVie

25. Gord D

Gord D Forum Resident

Dave Martone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.