Musicians Who Say They Learned A Lot From Fellow Musician

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the same band?

2. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Bill Bruford said he learned a lot from Jamie Muir. :)

mw1917, davmar77, samsondale and 3 others like this.
  3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Alex Chilton, not one to give our compliments generously, said he learned a lot about playing guitar from Carl Wilson when The Box Tops toured with The Beach Boys.

caio vaz, Lightworker, tmtomh and 5 others like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Waylon Jennings with Buddy Holly.

6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Coltrane acknowledged how much he had learned from Miles and Monk. Miles introduced modal structures to Trane; and Trane said about Monk, "I learned from him in every way--through the senses, theoretically, technically." Although Trane didn't play in a band with Ornette Coleman, he met him for lessons--and later he actually sent him a letter with $30 for each session.

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Pat Metheny also said he learned so much from Ornette Coleman that after he finished their project (Song X), he was hearing and breaking down music more profoundly.

8. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Bill Kreutzman spoke of Jerry in that way in an interview for the Long Strange Trip doc

9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Ernie Isley with Jimi Hendrix

SG47 likes this.
  10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Within Motley Crue, Nikki Sixx from Mick Mars

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

As did Bob.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  12. MortSahlFan

I can't name a better musician who didn't need a band, a voice, nothing but a piano.. And those chords!!

13. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Glenn Frey said that he learned how to write songs by listening to Jackson Browne who was living upstairs. He'd hear Browne going over and over repeating and slowly refining bits of the songs and Frey said he thought: 'Ah, that's how you do it'. (Quote from memory.)

Wasn't it the case that in The Clash Paul Simonon didn't know how to play the bass at all and Mick Jones taught him how to play the parts by rote? If so, Simonon is an excellent example of learning on the job.

zither, hi_watt, Scopitone and 5 others like this.
  14. MortSahlFan

"Ah, elbow grease". I also think Bob Seger helped him out, who was in his band until Glenn's mom found out about his pot smoking (Glenn's nickname in the Eagles was Smokey)

hi_watt and HitAndRun like this.
  15. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I think both David Gilmour and Roger Waters have said that they learned from Syd Barrett

Frozensoda likes this.
  16. MortSahlFan

I consider myself an expert of Pink Floyd, but I never read that.

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Dave Grohl has spoken in many interviews about what he learned from Kurt Cobain--not just musically, but also from the person that Kurt was.

Aftermath likes this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Bill Evans played no small part in those modal structures.

19. MortSahlFan

Right.. Bill Evans is credited as a co-writer on a handful of songs from "Kind of Blue"

20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The concepts of modal jazz come from George Russell, but Miles' first modal composition, "Miles" (aka "Milestones"), predates Bill Evans joining the band. Evans and Russell were friends, and he'd been playing Russell's music since 1956, but Coltrane learned about modal improvisation from Miles. He even referred to Miles as his "Teacher."

Bill Evans claimed to have written "Blue in Green," and he gets co-writing credit on some editions of his Portrait in Jazz album (but not on my 1987 OJC CD). He may have deserved a co-writing credit on "Flamenco Sketches," because its opening shares a chord progression with Evans' "Peace Piece"--which comes from Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time." (The fact that Evans often played "Some Other Time" throughout his career, but dropped "Peace Piece" from his repertoire, may have been his way of acknowledging his debt to Bernstein.) But he didn't receive credit for any writing on Kind of Blue. Miles admitted that he had conceived of the album with Bill Evans in mind, but maintained in his autobiography that he'd written all compositions on the album himself.

mw1917, blutiga, caio vaz and 2 others like this.
  21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My thread closer...

Eric Clapton...Robert Johnson.

22. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Clapton and Johnson were never, as the OP postulates, in the same band.

One person Clapton DID learn a lot from who WAS a bandmate of his was... Delaney Bramlett. Delaney essentially taught Eric to sing. Even though Eric had sung before, he was never confident in his voice, and didn't enjoy it until Delaney encouraged him and coached him to sing.

Another musician who was in the same band those two were in (Delaney & Bonnie & Friends) also learned a lot from Delaney Bramlett... George Harrison. Delaney & Bonnie specialized in a southern style of R&B that leaned a lot on gospel influences. Harrison asked Bramlett how to write a song with a gospel feel (something George had not really done, or been able to manage up to that point). Delaney told him that wasn't difficult at all, and gave him some tips and encouragement. Voila! My Sweet Lord was born.

Scopitone, blutiga, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

In fact, it was David Gilmour that taught Syd Barrett how to play guitar (the two of them were friends BEFORE Pink Floyd), and Gilmour had started playing earlier.

Deek57 likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I stand corrected, thanks. That’s what I get for just reading the thread title.

groundharp likes this.
  25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Me neither. I’ve heard Gilmour say that Syd learned a few things from HIM. I can’t imagine Waters ever saying he learned anything from Syd.

hi_watt, Lightworker and MortSahlFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.