Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Maybe your MFSL was a worn stamper...The MFSL was more natural. Still the USA press I have sounds good. Of course who knows what you are listening on.

Tommyboy and wwright like this.
  2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

All 3 Queen releases are quite fabulous, which are:

Night At The Opera

Day At The Races

The Game

wwright likes this.
  3. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I got this and it sounds fine. I think that's about as good as this album can sound I my opinion. I haven't heard a copy of it that doesn't sound just fine. Brown Sugar always sounds like it is was too hot and kinda sets the stage for the rest of my listening experience.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the music, but I just don't think there is a definitive version of this record as it will be varying degrees of fine.

MarkO likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nah, mine was fine. Guess we just have different ears. Thats why I usually only trust a very few on here to know what they are talking about.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

So. How about some follow up. What did you buy and now that you've had some time to digest it all what's the verdict.

Jrr likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Y'know, that Hotel California pressing is really terrific. One of the good ones from that earlier period.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Beck Sea Change
    The Dylan 2x45s (i have some mono some stereo and love them all)
    Blonde on Blonde
    Pixies Doolittle
    The Cars s/t & Heartbreat City
    Love Forever Changes
    DSOTM

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Also I Robot

9. Doc Young

Doc Young Forum Resident

I just got Santana 3 on their silver label series and I love it.

10. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

My favourite is the Ricky Nelson LP, it is the only one I've got though...

11. Poco's Legend is a sonic marvel imo.

iloveguitars and GyroSE like this.
  12. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Another vote for the Miles Davis releases. I have On The Corner and Fillies De Kilimanjaro ... one at 33 1/3 the other at 45, both excellent

Potential Energy likes this.
  13. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Sorry, but I disagree.

Had one and I traded it off. Midrange suckout and treble boost.

Great album though.

14. Wow, ok... Not my experience but sorry it was yours.

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I remember being a kid in the record store with no money and holding the "Original Master Recording" of the White Album, not knowing anything about MoFi or much about The Beatles catalogue but damn curious as to why the price was high and what the heck was inside.

joshm2286 and cwd like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have both and unfortunately both are bettered by non-MFSL pressings.

Gardo and Bobsblkwax like this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Discussing MFSL LPs without differentiating between the old 80's MFSL and the new MFSL is pointless (even though everyone who starts one of these threads and most people who chime in doesn't differentiate them). They're basically two different companies with two different mastering philosophies.

In my experience, as a general rule, 80s MFSL LPs are overrated (including many mentioned so far) and a standard US or UK issue will often be better (except for the vinyl) for a fraction of the price. They were marketed as a high-end audiophile product but mastered solidly for mid-fi eqpt.

With more recent MFSL, it's far more case by case because many newer MFSL's are quite good.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I tried 3 copies of Jack Johnson and none were quiet. I think I'm cursed on that one so have stayed away...

19. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

/\ /\ /\

What Marc said.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Eagerly awaiting Thompson's Rumor and Sigh...

jlf and DigMyGroove like this.
  21. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

You said yourself it's a general rule, meaning it's not 100%. So how is that making the discussion pointless? Some of the old mofi do sound good- LZII, Hotel California, both as mentioned. Much of the Stones box set, Crime of the Century's UHQR mastering, the old Sinatra's (mentioned), are also very good copies. We can agree new mofi gets it right more than the old, but that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion without hammering that point in every single time. What sounds good sounds good, regardless of when they made it.

iloveguitars, joshm2286 and Laser Red like this.
  22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Luckily, I got 'em all.
    The Kendun, the RL, the MFSL's and more!
    Call before midnight tonight and get a free pair of circumcision scissors!

23. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There.... Thread Starter

Every Picture Tells the Story
    Songs from the Big Chair
    Seeds of Love
    Blood on their Tracks
    DSOTM

More to come!

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, at least there are two of us that bought the KC album! I am really curious how many they sold! It does sound great. I have at least 50. The only one that I would say was bad is Linda Ronstadt's Prisoner In Disguise, which sounds like a blanket was put over my speaker. I don't understand that at all.

I have mainly pop titles....Tapestry, all the Hall & Oates, both Supertramps, Yellow Brick Road, Raspberries (which you can now get cheap), Al Stewart, Spinners, Roy Orbison, etc. Aside from the one Ronstadt album, I feel they are all superb. Sure, I'm sure you are right that there are a few that were mastered better by the artist's own label, but that might be a lot of trouble for the op to go through. For a pretty hassle free buying experience, knowing you will get competent mastering and a beautiful pressing, I wouldn't hesitate to get any of them. Another helpful hint: I have bought quite a few used titles on line because some are of course out of primt. Most folks took good care of them so I have't been burned buying used so far. Sometimes you pay a lot, but many are reasonable. Got Yellow Brick Road for $125 and Supertramp Breakfast In America for around $100, but both were in mint condition and sound superb. If you like Supertramp at all, get a copy of Crime Of The Century. One of the best recordings ever made, and it's stellar on the MFSL.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    c-eling and GyroSE like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I would just love to get that one. I bet it's amazing, though the recent issue in the box set is pretty darn fine too.

wwright likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.