Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, that one was on my list.

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue DLP 45RPM

joshm2286, jlf, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  3. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Oh, how I wish I never took a look at this thread...

4. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Exactly! I was surprised when I first put it on - it sounds fantastic. Steve's version is incredible as well.

Jrr and DirkGentlyUK like this.
  5. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Two 'Holy Grail' releases right there!

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've got a bunch of Mofi pressings, my top 3 would be:
    Traffic Low Spark of High Healed Boys
    James Taylor JT
    Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks

ssmith3046 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I said having the discussion and treating MFSL as one contiguous entity is pointless. The only thing they share is a name and a marketing approach. You might as well just pick two labels at random and ask for MUST HAVE LPs for those two labels.

Regardless the whole thread is redundant. This discussion has been covered countless times and the answers are basically the same - and IMO mostly incorrect...ex: LZ2 sounds...okay...sort of...but it is definitely not a MUST HAVE MFSL (which is the title of the thread).

mpayan likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've had a few of the old MOFI LPs and in my opinion many are bettered by currently available reissues, even if from digital sources, including Sticky Fingers, Ziggy Stardust, and Dark Side of the Moon. I'm a big fan of present-day MOFI, and I would add the following to a list of must-haves, obviously in my opinion:

Allison Krauss + Union Station - Live
    Aimee Mann - Lost in Space (I missed out on Bachelor No. 2)
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, On the Corner, Nefertiti, Filles de Kilimanjaro, In a Silent Way, Miles in the Sky, E.S.P., Kind of Blue, Sorcerer, Jack Johnson, My Funny Valentine, 'Four' and More
    Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline, John Wesley Harding (mono), Highway 61 Revisited (mono), Bringing It All Back Home (mono), The Times They Are A-Changin' (mono), Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde
    The Band - Music from Big Pink, The Band, Stage Fright, Rock of Ages
    Beck - Sea Change

jgrillo likes this.
  9. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Tigerlily by Natalie merchant

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ah, I have the CD, didn't know Steve had done that. I don't like CD's but I need to give it a shot as that would be one of the exceptions.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And none on the bay right now.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes it is! Believe it or not, I picked one up used for all of $3! I couldn't pass it up, and I was amazed at how good the album was, in addition to the sound. It does have some pops and clicks, the only MFSL I have that does, but it inspired me to buy a couple clean copies. Being ABC Records, none of them played well so I still use the MFSL. And they are not expensive compared to other titles. Another really exceptional title is Olive Newton-John's Totally Hot. The song A Litle More Love is recorded impeccably and is a sonic marvel as it has room to breathe. The guitars are amazing. John Farrar was a fantastic producer who cared about sound. And, it's another title that is easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

13. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Forum Resident

I think we probably agree more than we disagree; I certainly respect your opinion as well. I enjoy the topics even if they're rehashed, as some of the old threads can't be posted to by members with low post counts such as myself. Either way, I'm glad we're in positions in life where we can have a discussion over such particular luxuries and have a forum in which to do so :tiphat:

Gardo, Jrr and Bobsblkwax like this.
  14. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

The Judas Priest titles I have are great. Mofi Stained Class and Killing Machine are my go to copies.

15. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

There are two titles from the older series that I really like, but are not to everyone's liking;

Ziggy Stardust and Blind Faith.

Both are veiled compared to good originals, but they both sound really huge on my Hi Fi, and so they fun to listen to. Especially Blind Faith - the bass just crawls across the floor.

Guily pleasures maybe. :bdance:

quicksrt likes this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree on the great sound here and the selection of music is top notch.

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Most relevant thread I could find to ask this. Anyone know why the MoFi R.E.M. - Document LP is so expensive? 1 LP @ 33rpm for $50?? Still in print so what gives? Life's Rich Pageant is just $35.

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why don't you start my listing the albums or artists you like? That will help us narrow it down. But there's no point in considering Santana if you don't like Santana to begin with.

19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I really enjoy the sound of:

Love, Forever Changes (better than the Bellman Rhino on my system)
    Jefferson Airplane, Volunteers
    Frank Sinatra, No One Cares (nothing to compare it to, but it sounds absolutely stunning)
    Miles Davis, ESP (better than the Bellman Impex on my system), Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Filles de Kilimanjaro, In a Silent Way, and Bitches Brew.

The only LP from them I own that I would NOT recommend is Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. On my system, the Legacy reissue mastered by Kevin Gray (also in print, and very inexpensive) sounds much better. The MOFI sounds unusually bassy, to the point of being sluggish/congested (again, on my system--YMMV).

joshm2286 and chris8519 like this.
  20. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Not sure but the Life's Rich Pageant sounds amazing and is for sure worth grabbing.

21. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Cars-Candy O
    Natalie Merchant-Tigerlily
    Both certainly worth grabbing.

22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I totally agree. It was a let down. My pressing wasn't even clean and has some considerable surface noise on all sides.

The KG is definitely the better value. But the blue vinyl 50th anniversary to me is my favorite.

Ironically, the MFSL is my "player" copy when I just want to hear the album in the background!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I already have it.

24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I would only purchase a handful of pre-2002 MFSL vinyl titles. Deja Vu, Fleetwood Mac and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road are winners - my other pre-2002 MFSL vinyl titles lost audio shoot-outs to other releases (most much less expensive). I owned close to 100 titles up to two years ago and have since sold them. There were many that had been kept sealed and sold without me being able to listen to them, but the opened ones were so very bad that I just gave up on even the sealed ones. When I say bad - they were bad. MFSL was purchased by Music Direct in 2002 and changes were made in their 'process', I now buy their vinyl titles without any hesitation. I know this sounds harsh and it even surprised me. I was sold the story through the 1980's that MFSL were the best pressings available. I purchased them all and didn't even question that line until I started thinning my collection in stages about 5 years ago. When I reached the stage where I was going to keep only my best one or two pressings of any given title, I started researching them on the net. Every search brought me to this Forum. I couldn't believe what audio experts were saying about the poor quality of the 80's and 90's MFSL titles so I did my own shoot-outs. I was shocked and disappointed. That said, you will rarely hear me give a negative review on MFSL vinyl titles released after 2002. Many outstanding titles suggested in this thread are those released post 2002. There are many here that will disagree with me in part and mention their exceptions. That's fine. Remember that there are dozens to hundreds of releases for every title (just check Discog's) and no one can compare them all in a shoot-out. So what a person compares the MoFi to and how their sound-system is built impacts their opinions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Gardo, NorthNY Mark, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  25. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've around 40 MFSL titles from all eras or so and one of my favourites is the good old Frank Sinatra box from 1983- I agree that some of the albums included aren't the best releases but these are easily compensated by the stellar ones included in the box. Another favourite is Supertramps' 'Crime of the Century' and a third one is Muddy Waters 'Folksinger'. From the modern era I like Marc Cohns' self titled album a lot.

Gardo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.