Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Are there any pre 2002 MoFi albums worth buying, Beatles and Pink Floyd excluded?

2. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Just off the top of my head...

Hotel California
    Super Session
    In The Court Of The Crimson King
    Blind Faith
    Ziggy Stardust
    The Sinatra box set

Not all of these are necessarily better, just different and worthy, IMO.

c-eling and Tommyboy like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have a bunch and they only one that sounds better than an original pressing is Frank Sinatra Swing Easy. They miraculously didn't screw that one up.

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do they have the smiley faced EQ?

5. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just stay away from any copies with RE-1 in the deadwax and you're fine.

mpayan likes this.
  6. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

I took a chance on one that was on sale and I don't regret it one bit!

Tullman likes this.
  7. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

What does the re-1 represent?

8. Blue Cactus

A later recut.

And in this case an inferior one.

c-eling and Matt R. like this.
  9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

You can get it on Discogs for ~$100:
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déjà Vu

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

+1 on Breakfast in America Jrr :cheers:
    Preferred over my old US 'Trumpet'

Jrr likes this.
  11. Bobsblkwax

To me, more bass extension than highs. I wouldn't call any of those bright but maybe a little tubby on some systems.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Bob!

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  13. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

who is your avatar?

14. Bobsblkwax

Sure thing. If I think of any more, I'll post them. It really is surprising, to me, that those titles are all that I have left from so many that they produced. Most of them are a real snooze. Or just weird.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ginger Baker.

A happy, well-adjusted fellow.

polchik and c-eling like this.
  16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Ah Hah, I always thought it was you looking a bit grumpy!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's an interesting title. I recently got a high end table and initially I thought I was hearing what some complain about. A harsh high end because of smiley face eq. But I put it on a couple nights ago now that the table and cart have settled in and not only did it sound marvelous, but the new table was pulling a bit more out of the grooves han I have heard before. Their signature organ used on so many songs had a bit more body and a timbre I had not heard before. It is very subtle, and I doubt a domestic pressing would convey that. Was a wonderful listen! I understand the new MFSL release has been cancelled because Rick won't release the tapes. I hope someday when he is gone they will allow MFSL to remaster and issue it again. I am totally fine with my copy but it's very expensive and they rarely come up for sale. It would be nice for others to experience this classic album peoperly. It's a real audiophile treat as there is so much going on in that mix. I can't imagine how many hours were spent mixing it. I will always wonder how Ken Scott, who did Crime, would have done it.

joshm2286, kcjayhawk and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Agreed on all account's. They may have passed on the infamous EQ on this mastering. I felt it was a more laid back, slightly 'warmer' presentation than my domestic. Noitced it had some serious soundstage going on as well. Found mine for about 5 bucks a couple years ago at a thrift (jaw hit the floor). Shame about the cancellation for a re-do, I was actually looking forward to it, as many others were as well

joshm2286 and Jrr like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, thats the one. Like it some better than the Kendun, even.

jgrillo and Blue Cactus like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm a little younger than that.

It's Felix likes this.
  21. Blue Cactus

Where did you hear this from?

Looks like Elusive Disc and Music Direct are still taking pre-orders for this title. :confused:

Supertramp Breakfast In America Numbered Limited Edition 180g LP-Elusive Disc

Supertramp Breakfast in America Numbered Limited Edition Hybrid Stereo SACD-Elusive Disc

Supertramp - Breakfast In America (Numbered 180g Vinyl LP) | Shop Music Direct

Supertramp - Breakfast In America (Numbered Edition Hybrid SACD) | Shop Music Direct

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

There is a thread about this title. You will find the info there. Rick Davies for some reason won't let the tapes go. He always seems funny about anything he and Roger were involved in together. Makes no sense to me as you would think they would have them in their hands before announcing it. And maybe the poster is wrong, but it was announced long ago and still nothing. And MFSL have certainly announced titles in the past that never saw the light of day. Most recent example is Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits. Has been available for pre-order for at least two years and was only recently cancelled. I take their release announcements with a healthy grain of salt, probably because I get really excited and then disappointed when it doesn't happen. I think they should hold off until a title is ready for duplicating. They release great stuff. There is no reason imo to create really long windows as the demand will still be there. It's not like you can rush to another competing audiophile pressing from someone else in most cases. Why they announce things before all the loose ends are tied up is beyond me, but perhaps sometimes they are simply testing demand for an album. I would be first in line for just about all the Supertramp titles so I hope we do see something soon.

joshm2286 and Tommyboy like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

well, I hope I'm wrong about the cancellation but the poster seemed to know his stuff. Glad you found a good domestic copy. A lovely album on so many levels. A real shame they broke up.

c-eling likes this.
  24. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I have four other pressings of Deja Vu (Piros, Sam Feldman, UK 1st and German 1st) which I think are all superior to the MFSL. The MFSL was my go-to copy for decades after its release but SH.tv taught me there were alternatives. I went there because the MFSL always sounded wrong to me.

The best of their early releases is American Beauty.

Nobody has mentioned it but one of their very first records, The Power and the Majesty, is a remarkable, extremely dynamic steam train engine recording. Before they were a record label, they recorded ambient noises and did field recordings. Hearing this train pass by in your living room is a trip. You need TONS of power to do it justice.

ifyouever, jgrillo and Jrr like this.
  25. Reefer Mac

Reefer Mac Forum Resident

Played this for the first time today... have mercy, it is quite a thrilling listen.

sonofjim and lucan_g like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.