Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I caved and bought some more at Randy's Records in Salt Lake City yesterday on a layover. Salty Dog, American Beauty, Tapestry, Rumor And Sigh. Now I'm broke

Beatledust and driverdrummer like this.
  2. husafreak

I have a lot of copies of American Beauty, this better be good!

3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I live like 5 minutes from that place, great record shop!

Beatledust likes this.
  4. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agreed - I have the Benz LP-S. It really is incredible.

J-Dub and sonofjim like this.
  5. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

6. husafreak

It has been interesting to compare the mofi lp's with my other albums. for example the mofi American beauty sounds fantastic compared to my warner brothers box set copy. But on this particular example I may have got a damaged pressing from mofi. It is on the song Sugar Magnolia, and only on that song, there are several loud "sss" sibilants, "Saw my baby..." "Sunshine..." Sometimes..." lyrics, that leap out of the grooves in an alarming burst of sssss noise from the right channel. I will try to contact someone at mofi since I can't return the album but I wondered if this is a known defect or part of the recording. Never heard it before though.

7. husafreak

So, American Beauty and Rumor and Sigh are absolutely amazing. A Salty Dog is also pretty great. Tapestry is fun but you can really tell it wasn't in any way an audiophile recording. This one was designed to be played on a little radio.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I had a feeling this one would be overlooked: Cosmo's Factory..long OOP, I hunted down a beautiful copy on ebay for 40 bucks..WELL (!!) worth the money...I have an original 1070 pressing, a 70's Japanese pressing and two CD versions....this one beats them all. It sounds great even at very low volume.

Fender Relic and Tor33rpm like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You should try the red vinyl version at Newbury Comics that has Kevin and Steves mastering. Not expensive either.

I kind of like the mfsl Cosmos also.

DK Pete likes this.
  10. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Randy's is my favorite hangout, along with Sound And Vision. Seems like I always drop a huge chunk of change, whenever I go there!

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's my 10th favorite album of all time. I tried to find a copy a couple of years ago and couldn't. Maybe I'll try again.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

<<< I'll have both Wednesday. :whistle:

Tommyboy, Opeth and The Elephant Man like this.
  13. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Agree. The MOFI release is fantastic.

14. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Where/when the hell did you find that?!?

polchik and Gramps Tom like this.
  15. Gramps Tom

16. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I REALLY wish Mo-Fi would reissue this on both vinyl and SACD.

What a great One-Step release it would be.

Johnny Vinyl, Gramps Tom and joelee like this.
  17. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Is it only sold at Newbury Comics? Canadian forum member here - how do we know we have found the red vinyl version?

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I picked one up this summer at an antique shack for $7. Couldn't believe it as the guy had hundreds of common junk LP's in VG at mostly $2. He must have known something was different about that Cosmos Factory but obviously didn't research it. The vinyl is in beautiful condition, cover worn a bit but I was thrilled to get it at that price and it truly does sound fantastic.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is a wonderful sounding album from them. I don't think it's hard to find used and most MOFI stuff is in very good shape as people typically took good care of them. I've only found one album in bad shape from them and I knew it was rough as I only paid $3 for it at a used vinyl store.

Gramps Tom and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Or track down a dime a dozen, excellent US MS2177 :)
    [​IMG]

jeffrey walsh, Gramps Tom and joelee like this.
  21. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Got a minty one already and also a German pressing on Teldec vinyl (you can see right thru it holding it up to a light.)

The German press is a bit better but the album could use a bit of work to make it really sound good. The vocals come off a bit edgy and could benefit being mastered thru some tubes. Also I wouldn't complain if there was a little more bass.

For some reason the 3 cuts on Gord's Gold taken from Sundown album (Sundown, Carefree Highway and Circle Of Steel) all sound better on Gord's Gold.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Gramps Tom and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'll have to re-visit Gold, been quite a few years. For some odd reason a local thrift had an old German of Old Dan's Records. I have nothing else for comparison, but sounds great so I haven't gone any further. Nice find on that MFSL however, one I'd love to find out in the wild :)

Gramps Tom and Blue Cactus like this.
  23. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve got a U.K. plum deja vu that sounds great. Retired my US and French copies. Would love to hear the mofi

24. Gramps Tom

Agreed. While they're at it, I'd also like to suggest Cold on the Shoulder and Summertime Dream.

jeffrey walsh and Blue Cactus like this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Dylan 45rpm Mofi’s are breathtaking sonic wonders.

teag, Tommyboy and Gramps Tom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.