Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

Thanks for the input. It's actually less than $50. I have an original Canadian copy that sounds fine, but I was curious about the MOFI version. It's not my favourite Bowie LP, but I think I may pick it up.
    Cheers.

2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Would you please let us know how the two compare.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They have taken orders for many titles that never came out. That certainly isn't a first! Why MFSL continues to announce things so ridiculously far in advance is quite beyond me. Hasn't anyone thought it strange that this album was announced long, long ago and still isn't out? After I read about Rick not letting master tapes out that incude Rogers work I paid $100 for a copy from the first batch in the 80's. Hope for everyone elses sake the article is wrong, and I would probably be dumb enough to buy it again. All the vinyl distributors seem to continue taking orders for whatever until, if and when a label announces it is no longer coming out. Barry Manilow's hits album was available for at least three years for pre order until MFSL not too long ago finally cancelled it. I don't know why any of us preorder and encourage this practice but I preordered the Simon & Garfunkel a few weeks ago so I'm just as guilty!

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

@marcb

Do you have the MFSL version of Led Zeppelin II? If so, does it have the same EQ issues as the early Mobile Fidelity pressings, “smiley faced”?

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I do have it. Bought it new back in the day. I haven’t listened to it in a LONG time, but my memory is it does - at least to some degree. My memory also is it used a very clean source...almost certainly the master tape (which it should be, I suppose, if it’s an Original Master Recording).

However, in fairness, I heard a comparison clip from it (on some thread here, I think) a few months ago and it was better than I recalled. I’m on the road for work more than I’m home but I’ll try to remember to listen to it this weekend (along with something else which I can’t recall right now...:magoo:) .

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
    For years I had the early version Yellow Banner LP, and other than some ticks and pops- I loved it. It felt lively and airy and punchy.
    In the digital realm my go to version was the 2 CD deluxe edition - which had sides 2 and 3 reversed(???), and still retained that light and lively feel, but was a tad brighter.
    I then had on pre-order which seemed like an eternity- the new MFSL version on LP- which has the dark green banner.

I was all giddy like a schoolboy when the new version showed up and I was like _____? It was like doing a hundred in drive and jammin it in reverse!!!! The music I thought I knew so well over the years sounded soo different. It was like being in a dark room with the music in slow motion. That boogie feeling of a live concert was gone. I always thought the early version of WFC was a great pressing.

I last played both of these on my SL1210-M5G with Denon DL110 cartridge. Since that time- I upgraded to a Hana EH cart, and then put table and cart off to the side and bought a VPI Scout 1.1 with 2M Black. I should pill both of these out and see if I still have the same feelings!

Chris

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks!

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do you mean the yellow banner MFSL?

If you like that, you should try the garden variety 1978 WB label pressing cut at The Mastering Lab.

9. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I quite like it although only have an old CD to compare to. Found it a bit "hissy" but not enough to disturb the listening experience.

Guss2 likes this.
  10. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks. it's one of my best sounding records (my collection isn't RECORDCOLLECTOR level big) and it's also a fantastic album.
    I think it's the only MFSL Dylan album i'll ever want

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Here are some that come to mind........
    Led Zeppelin II- I wish I still had mine
    Atlanta Rhythm Section- Champagne Jam
    Emerson Lake And Palmer- Pictures At An Exhibition
    Fleetwood Mac s/t

12. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Shady Grove and Grisman/Garcia are both mind blowingly good, highly recommend.

Cassius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.