My attempt to explain Metal subgenres (with examples)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DDTM, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

A recent discussion in the power metal thread prompted me to write this. There has always been a lot of confusion regarding the question of various metal subgenres. Since several people here seem to think that I know a thing or two about the subject, I figured a thread like this will have its audience. I understand that the appeal of this discussion is going to be limited. However, I’m writing this in order to try to clarify the confusion which seems to arise every once in a while regarding the question at hand, as well as to try to remove some of the prejudice towards the genre.

This discussion deliberately leaves out the 1970s out of the discussion. The reason for this decision is that the various subgenres didn’t really start flourishing until the 1980s. Hence, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Ozzy-era Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore, Uriah Heep, Rush, AC/DC, UFO, Rainbow, etc. will not be discussed, except to mention some of them as an influence on the subgenre being discussed. The same goes for the 70s albums of bands such as Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, etc, although, of course, some of the 80s albums of these bands will be listed.

You will see that sometimes there will be a bracket next to an album, saying “AA” (“also applicable”). I believe this is self-explanatory, and it’s only in those instances where I thought it was important. These are subjective, arbitrary, and bound to be inconsistent, so you have been warned. If you see an album labeled with (AA: pop/glam), please refrain from saying “ah, they weren’t glam, look at how they dressed…”, etc. I’m using the tag pop/glam, because there’s going to be a discussion about this subgenre later on. If a band doesn’t look glammy enough, focus on the “pop” part, and you should be set. Whenever a band is mentioned for the first time (not counting these introductory paragraphs), their name will be in red, so as to make reading easier for those of you who want to use this thread as a list of recommendations. I have also tried to include the category of “the obscure gem” for each subgenre, but for some I couldn’t think of any.

2. DDTM

HEAVY METAL

First, let’s address the possible confusion of “heavy metal” being considered a subgenre of “metal”. Perhaps the terminology may be confusing at first, but I’m adopting it because I believe it will make things easier and clearer in the long run. The confusion stems from the fact that, for a while, this old style of metal was the only style in existence. Of course, not all the bands sounded the same, but there were enough similarities to justify including them all within one subgenre from this perspective. When other styles started developing, the good old heavy metal simply became one of metal’s various subgenres. I hope that’s a satisfactory explanation.

We all more or less know what falls under this tag. These are simply some of the first bands which, for the most part, made a break with simply being “hard rock”, although most of them retained a lot of old hard rock elements. But, the point is, they were unquestionably metal bands.

Examples:

- Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell; (AA: proto-power);
    - Black Sabbath – Mob Rules; (AA: proto-power);
    - Black Sabbath – Born Again; (AA: proto-doom);
    - Judas Priest – British Steel;
    - Judas Priest – Screaming for Vengeance; (AA: proto-speed);
    - Judas Priest – Defenders of the Faith; (AA: speed, pop/glam, proto-power);
    - Judas Priest – Painkiller; (AA: speed, power);
    - Motorhead – Overkill; (AA: proto-speed, proto-thrash);
    - Motorhead – Bomber; (AA: proto-speed, proto thrash);
    - Motorhead – Ace of Spades; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Ozz;
    - Ozzy Osbourne – Diary of a Madman; (AA: proto-progressive);
    - Ozzy Osbourne – Bark at the Moon; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Dio – Holy Diver; (AA: proto-power);
    - Dio – The Last in Line; (AA: proto-power);
    - Scorpions – Blackout; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Scorpions – Love at First Sting; (AA: pop/glam)
    - Accept - Breaker; (AA: proto-speed);
    - Accept – Restless and Wild; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Accept – Balls to the Wall; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Accept – Metal Heart; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Mercyful Fate – Mercyful Fate EP; (AA: proto-thrash, proto-progressive, proto-black);
    - Mercyful Fate – Melissa; (AA: proto-thrash, proto-progressive, proto-black);
    - Mercyful Fate – Don’t Break the Oath; (AA: proto-progressive, proto-black);
    - Manowar – Battle Hymns; (AA: proto-power);
    - Manowar – Into Glory Ride; (AA: proto-power, proto-doom);
    - Manowar – Hail to England; (AA: proto-power);
    - Manowar – Sign of the Hammer; (AA: proto-power);
    - Manowar – Fighting the World; (AA: proto-power, pop/glam);
    - Manowar – Kings of Metal; (AA: proto-power);
    - Armored Saint – March of the Saint;
    - Armored Saint – Delirious Nomad;
    - Armored Saint – Raising Fear;
    - Armored Saint – Symbol of Salvation; (AA: proto-power)
    - Warlock – Burning the Witches; (AA: speed);
    - Warlock – Triumph and Agony; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Savatage – Sirens; (AA: proto-power, proto-progressive);
    - Savatage– The Dungeons are Calling EP; (AA: proto-power, proto-progressive);
    - Savatage– Power of the Night;
    - Savatage– Hall of the Mountain King; (AA: power, proto-progressive);
    - Queensryche – Queensryche EP; (AA: proto-power, proto-progressive);
    - Queensryche – The Warning; (AA: power, proto-progressive);
    - Thin Lizzy – Thunder and Lightning;
    - Pretty Maids – Red, Hot and Heavy; (AA: pop/glam, proto-power);
    - Pretty Maids – Future World; (AA: pop/glam, proto-power);
    - Kiss – Creatures of the Night;
    - Obscure gem: Elixir – The Son of Odin; (AA: power)
    - Obscure gem: Heavy Load – Death or Glory.

Subset: NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal)

This is a specific variant of heavy metal which was prevalent in the Great Britain roughly in the 1979-1982 period. The bands included had quite an eclectic mixture of influences, ranging from progressive rock to punk, but what tied them all together, aside from the location and the time period, was the DIY approach, learned from the experience of punk bands, and a certain rough, unpolished quality to the sound. The bands which influenced NWOBHM are Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, AC/DC, Wishbone Ash, UFO, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Motorhead, etc. This scene was instrumental in establishing heavy metal as a genre definitely separate from just plain rock music.

Note: Judas Priest and Motorhead are often labeled as NWOBHM bands. This is misleading, because these bands got their start much earlier than most NWOBHM, and as mentioned, actually influenced that scene. What is true, however, is that these bands broke through at the time NWOBHM appeared and gained some popularity. You could say that NWOBHM bands took something from them, and that these two bands got something in return thanks to NWOBHM bands.

Examples:

- NWOBHM ’79 Revisited 2CD compilation;
    - Saxon – Saxon (possibly the first NWOBHM full-length);
    - Saxon – Wheels of Steel;
    - Saxon – Strong Arm of the Law;
    - Saxon – Denim and Leather;
    - Diamond Head – Lightning to the Nations; (AA: proto-power, proto-thrash);
    - Angel Witch – Angel Witch;
    - Def Leppard – On Through the Night; (AA: pop/glam);
    - Tygers of Pan Tang – Wild Cat;
    - Tygers of Pan Tang – Spellbound;
    - Raven – Rock Until You Drop; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Raven – Wiped Out; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Raven – All for One; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Tank – Filth Hounds of Hades; (AA: proto-speed)
    - Girlschool – Demolition;
    - Girslchool – Hit and Run;
    - Holocaust – The Nightcomers;
    - Holocaust – Live: Hot Curry & Wine;
    - Venom – Welcome to Hell; (AA: speed, proto-thrash, proto-death, proto-black);
    - Venom – Black Metal; (AA: speed, proto-thrash, proto-death, proto-black);
    - Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden; (AA: proto-progressive);
    - Iron Maiden – Killers;
    - Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast; (AA: proto-power, proto-progressive).
    (And so on, of course; everything Maiden released was heavy metal, although it doesn’t feel right to call anything after the first three NWOBHM, because NWOBHM was a short window in time. Also, when it comes to Maiden, take these “proto-“ tags with a grain of salt. They influenced bands in nearly all subgenres, so it’s pointless to list them all. The same applies to Judas Priest.)
    - Witchfinder General – Death Penalty; (AA: proto-doom);
    - Witchfinder General - Friends of Hell; (AA: proto-doom).

Note: NWOBHM mostly ended in 1982. There are exceptions, however. Here are the debut albums by three bands, which came out in 1983 and 1984, but which sound like NWOBHM nonetheless:

- Satan – Court in the Act; (AA: speed, proto-power);
    - Savage – Loose ‘n’ Lethal; (AA: speed, proto-thrash);
    - Cloven Hoof – Cloven Hoof; (AA: proto-power).

In the end, it doesn’t really matter whether an album is NWOBHM or not, because it’s all heavy metal anyway.

NEXT: speed metal

Rapid Fire, drasil and Trillmeister like this.
  3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Don't forget 'Bruce Bruce's' pre-'Maiden warm up band, Samson. (NWOBHM)

Also, Gillan (as opposed to the overtly jazzy Ian Gillan Band) is similarly categorized although these records combine so many disparate sounds they defy most attempts to so-pigeon hole. I think Gillan himself queried whether or not they were Heavy Metal but he did acknowledge the band were responsible for making quite a racket.

Well done, Al, you really do out-loon most when it comes to this scholarly dedication to Metal. :edthumbs:

(I was listening to No Sleep Till Hammersmith earlier, dreaming of a re-mix to introduce some damn bass to the affair but also marvelling at Lem's contribution to general Metal services.)

4. DDTM

Thanks, Trill. Mind you, the lists are not meant to be definitive, just to provide several examples. The list for heavy metal turned out to be so long, because the tag covers a lot. The lists for speed, thrash, death, black... should be shorter. I didn't list Samson, because, frankly, I have yet to hear an album by them in entirety, but one of their songs ("Vice Versa") is included in the NWOBHM '79 Revisited compilation I listed.

5. Trillmeister

The splintering of myriad acts into these (self?) proclaimed sub genres is something which I have found difficult to 'get a handle on' in recent years so guidance would be very welcome.

Somebody gave me a mid 90's CD from a much respected Brazilian outfit and I have tried, repeatedly but just cannot get into it. The band in question are exponents are many of these 'nu' sub forms and seem to chase extremity and heaviness per se. This type of sampling has biased me severely so I am prime for some awakening, assuming there is some decent music in there...

6. DDTM

Roots?

7. DDTM

SPEED METAL

Speed metal remains one of the hardest subgenres to define. Seasoned metal fans and newbies alike have trouble determining what this subgenre is and what it isn’t. The reason for this is that speed metal often overlaps with other subgenres, and in a way, ends up being subsumed under them, providing a sonic element, a flavor, rather than being a distinct subgenre on its own. Yet, there are examples of almost pure speed metal albums.

Historically, speed metal emerged just before thrash metal, and developed along with it. To add to the confusion, bands like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer were often called speed metal back in the day. Today, we commonly refer to these bands as thrash metal, and use the tag speed metal for bands whose sound was distinct from thrash metal. I’m using the tag speed metal here in the latter sense – aggressive, fast-paced metal, which is harder than plain heavy metal, but not as extreme as thrash, and lacking in punk influence that thrash metal has. Of course, some bands, or rather, some albums, are both speed and thrash metal.

There is also some confusion between speed and power metal. Indeed, many bands are both. But let’s say that speed metal is less detailed, more relentless, more linear, and hence, more aggressive than power metal.

Some of the albums that are considered “shred” metal (a subgenre tag I personally don’t like to use) are, in my opinion, speed metal albums. One such album, by Cacophony, is included, and as you’ll see, the band even took care to name the subgenre in the title.

Now, about the very name of this subgenre, let’s make something clear. Speed metal is no longer the fastest metal subgenre. It is a historical tag that stuck. In that respect, an album is not disqualified from being speed metal because it’s “not fast enough”. We’ll make a similar disclaimer for progressive metal when we get around to it.

The bands and albums listed here are those where the speed metal element is the dominant one.

Examples:

- Exciter – Heavy Metal Maniac; (AA: proto-thrash);
    - Exciter – Violence and Force; (AA: proto-thrash);
    - Exciter – Long Live the Loud; (AA: proto-thrash, proto-power);
    - Agent Steel – Skeptics Apocalypse; (AA: thrash);
    - Agent Steel – Unstoppable Force; (AA: heavy, power);
    - Abattoir – Vicious Attack; (AA: thrash);
    - Chastain – Ruler of the Wasteland; (AA: power);
    - Chastain – The 7th of Never; (AA: power);
    - Cacophony – Speed Metal Symphony;
    - Kruiz – Kruiz;
    - Vicious Rumors – Soldiers of the Night; (AA: proto-power);
    - Vicious Rumors – Digital Dictator; (AA: proto-power);
    - Rage – Reign of Fear; (AA: heavy);
    - Rage – Execution Guaranteed; (AA: proto-power);
    - Rage – Perfect Man; (AA: proto-power);
    - Running Wild – Gates to Purgatory; (AA: heavy, proto-black);
    - Running Wild – Branded and Exiled; (AA: heavy);
    - Running Wild – Under Jolly Roger; (AA: heavy, proto-power);
    - Running Wild – Port Royal; (AA: heavy, power);
    - Running Wild – Death or Glory; (AA: heavy, power);
    - Iron Angel – Hellish Crossfire; (AA: thrash);
    - Helloween – Helloween EP; (AA: heavy, proto-power);
    - Helloween – Walls of Jericho; (AA: heavy, proto-power);
    - Gamma Ray – Heading for Tomorrow; (AA: power);
    - Blind Guardian – Battalions of Fear; (AA: power);
    - Blind Guardian – Follow the Blind; (AA: power);
    - Blind Guardain – Tales from the Twilight World; (AA: power);
    - Obscure gem: Damien Thorne – The Sign of the Jackal.

(More on Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian in the power metal section.)

NEXT: thrash metal

Trillmeister likes this.
  8. Trillmeister

Roots, indeed, Al.

I remember Metallica's appearance and they were instantly categorized as Thrash; indeed, the term was used derogatorily, initially, in some parts.

In 1983, I couldn't stand it! Took something like two or three years before the penny dropped.

DDTM likes this.
  9. DDTM

Never liked it myself.

10. Trillmeister

Running Wild! Pirate Metal, nay?

11. DDTM

:uhhuh: Like "Viking" metal, it's a tag referring only to lyrical content, so it doesn't really mean anything in terms of music. I actually planned to deal in this thread with some of these tags that say nothing about music.

12. Trillmeister

Then again, Black Metal is surely born of an emphasis on occult predilections, as per the bands in question (real/theatrically postured) aesthetics?

13. DDTM

A most interesting case, which will be explained in detail in the appropriate section. Black metal in the 80s indicated the lyrical content of an album. Even Megadeth's Peace Sells got called black metal at least once. Had it stayed that way, we wouldn't be dealing with black metal as a separate genre, much like pirate metal and Viking metal aren't. However, come early 1990s, black metal actually became a separate genre, musically. We'll get there.

Trillmeister likes this.
  14. drasil

drasil Former Resident

you've seen the headbanger's journey documentary, right? the DVD comes with a foldout chart of metal subgenres drawn up by the documentarian (and which features heavily in the film):
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the huge image size necessary for legibility.

15. Trillmeister

Drasil, that, is superb! Huge thanks.

Hamhead and drasil like this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Very interesting enterprise, Aleksander. Metal is pretty much tangential to my interests, but I'll certainly be following this thread for some pointers if I find myself yearning to buy some more.

Drasil's roadmap is great too ... except, what level of expertise can be expected from a compiler who misspells the name of Dream Theater?!!

Hey Vinyl Man and DDTM like this.
  17. DDTM

Thanks for the pic. Of course, there are numerous differing classifications out there. The purpose of this thread is to present my view. The pic you posted is a good attempt at classification, but I see quite a lot of it there that I disagree with, some of which will be addressed here. I think that genre tree is misleading in a lot of ways.

18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

of course. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, only to share if you haven't seen the documentary. it's essentially about the often-intense personal relationship in metal between the listener and the music; the film is a story of the documentarian's individual journey, and he repeatedly encourages the audience to find their own path, a sentiment echoed by a great deal of metal itself...

Trillmeister likes this.
  19. DDTM

No, no, of course, and it's good that you posted the pic. The thread is meant to offer a guidance for those who are interested, and different perspectives are welcome. Sorry if I came across as hostile in that post. :wave:

I have seen that movie, and I thought it was relatively good. That said, the list did not receive a lot of respect from the more knowledgeable metal fans, and I tend to agree. Sam Dunn is well liked, I think, among metal fans, but I think he's also become notorious for his propensity to get some of these things monumentally wrong.

A lot of the list is perfectly ok, yet there are parts which trully make me cringe, but they are too numerous to comment on, and besides, it will slowly become obvious what I disagree with in particular.

Trillmeister likes this.
  20. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I can't wait. you've already got me listening to the son of Odin on spotify.

21. Trillmeister

Is 'Doom' a branch?

We used to partake of large vats of Candlemass and that's how I recall contemporary commentators referring to them.

22. DDTM

I'm thinking of stopping all activity I currently have going on in my life, and taking a trip 'round the world with one of those sandwich boards that would have written on it:

ELIXIR - THE SON OF ODIN, LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!

It's that good. :D

Trillmeister and drasil like this.
  23. DDTM

Oh, yes. Patience, patience. Guess what's coming after the thrash metal part... ;)

24. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Where does my old favorite "Cradle of filth" fit in?/?

25. DDTM

Black metal. Should be covered by mid-week. Assuming you're not being sarcastic. :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.