My Beatles Vinyl Came!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Its a Beatles Vinyl Playfest in Mikeys house tonight!!

My two New Beatles Lps arrived yesterday. Now that Ive given each of them several good , solid listenings, heres the verdict:

The LPs I picked up were:

"With The Beatles" EMI Odean , German version, Stereo

"Magical Mystery Tour" German APPLE Version, Stereo

Ok. So how did they sound?

"With The Beatles" turned out to be nothing Special. Apparantly, I did not get the tube cut mastered copy, but a later solid state cutting. Not "Bad", but not great. Compressed sound, low levels. A general "fuzziness" (not wear), just indistinct.

The "Original Masters" Cd I have of these made from the MoFi Vinyl is MUCH better. Its not even close. After hearing this, I hear what some of you have referred to in regard to the Mofi EQ. Yes the MoFi IS Eq'd, BUT I think it helps. The drums on Devil In Her Heart sound flat here, but have plenty of kick on the MoFi. Also, the backing tracks of "It Wont Be Long" seem to be much more lively on the Mofi. So, I think the Mofi is the best version of this title, all things considered.

"Magical Mystery Tour", on the other hand, is a revelation. This thing is UNBELIEVABLE. There is a soundstage, and a presence on this that I have never heard on this LP before!! The instruments literally jump out of the speakers. I am hearing things on the LP that I never heard before.

its hard to think anything could sound better than this!!! The drums sound like they are in the room with you. There is a CLEAR, low end here that Ive never heard before. Also, anybody who says that they didnt work hard on the stereo mix hasnt heard THIS version. Its almost 3 dimentional, thats how good it is!!

So for a total of 40 bucks, Im pretty happy!! Even if With The Beatles isnt a winner, I'm STILL Happy!!

PS...Does anyone out there HAVE the German Tube cut version of WTB??

Mikey

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm curious...does this have the hi-hat intro to All My Loving?

3. RetroSmith

You got it Luk!!

Its a kick to have that. Does this mean it came from the English master tape, for sure?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hrmm...a copy of the master, yeah. I'm surprised it doesn't sound better...

Steve?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So many different Odeon cuttings. Hard to say which one sounds the best (if any). I'll have to pull mine out.

The countdown was snipped on the British master mix after the tape copy for Germany was made.

What COLOR is the label? Old looking Green? That's usually a first cut, etc. The groovy lite blue is a 1968 cut, etc. etc.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wasn't the attraction of the LP the better tapes it used? It seems as if this album does use those better tapes yet doesn't sound better...

7. Steve Hoffman

No, no. That's the FIRST album that is better than the British, the one on Hor Zur.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I thought you said the second album was an improvement as well...

9. Steve Hoffman

No, the Canadian stereo LP.

10. RetroSmith

><>>>Steve, the color of the label is a Deep Blue, the same color as the Ventures Mid 60s Dolton Lp labels.

Like I said in my original post, it isnt terrible, but its nothing special.

Mikey

11. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Mikey sez,

>>"With The Beatles" turned out to be nothing Special. Apparantly, I did not get the tube cut mastered copy, but a later solid state cutting. Not "Bad", but not great. Compressed sound, low levels. A general "fuzziness" (not wear), just indistinct.<<

It's the same on my German (EMI/Parlophone Odeon) copy of "beatles' greatest" OMHS 3001(yes, it's lower case on the cover!). All My Loving has the Hi-hat intro (and audible breath before:"Close Your Eyes.."). I guess all German copies have this version of AML?! Good, but nothing earth-shattering. Probably solid state mastered, I would say. Black label with silver lettering. Paid 2/$3.00, or so the shrink wrap says (bought sealed), back in the 80's, so I'm not sad!

Maybe I should give my German MMT a spin...haven't played that one in years! Bought from Mike Callahan (BSN) when he used to sell records. Mikey, you have me thinking about the sound, now, on THAT one! Another one to get is the White Album on white vinyl (Apple UK copy). I have it, and have always enjoyed the sound quality! Steve mentioned this also, in a past thread.

You can still find Beatle lps even today for a good price if you search around. Getting the right pressings (usually imports) is another matter. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.