My Bloody Valentine - new album by the end of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mistermono, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I grew up in a small Canadian city on the prairies, so I can most def sympathize with how hard it was to get music off the beaten path!

2. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

I think Feb. 22.

3. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody get a ship notice yet?

4. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Just back from the MBV gig in Melbourne (AUS) and hearing some of the new album live - could only pick 2 tracks from it. They (all) sounded great though. Kevin was having a bad night with guitar pedal problems and his voice mixed very low, while Bilinda starred. And that rythmn section.... my god, 'Feed Me With Your Kiss' was just blistering.

Thankfully I took along quality ear plugs - still trying to get over the sonic assault of a 14 minute noise riot (was like standing in a jet takeoff wash, or being aboard a rocket launching) as the finisher - no encore.

5. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Worked fine for me. I imported the tracks into itunes, selected the tracks and converted to the format of choice - I picked alac.

6. My account says "Not shipped yet", so no. I just hope that the shipping isn't going to operate in Shields Time. :)

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I finally got a paycheck (I'm a freelancer) so I was able to place my order today. Hoping that I don't get a "sorry, we're out of stock" email!

8. wayved

wayved Guest

That is very very funny. Thanks for the laugh! Year 2045: "Delivery for Dudley Morris!"

9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Yep, here we go! 22nd Feb came and went and nothing happened. No news, nothing. :confused:

10. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Anyone heard "Yellow Loveless" - a bunch of Japanese bands (includng Shonon Knife) covering the whole of the Loveless album?
    I'm listening to it right now. It's very good.

11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Monorail Records in Glasgow have tweeted that they have it in stock.

14. 926am

926am Senior Member

15. ringorilla

ringorilla Forum Resident

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I can't help but chuckle at how people STILL have a tiny bit of doubt that this will actually be released... even after it has been released. Only MBV could pull that off. :D

drivingfrog and hutlock like this.
  17. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Some people on the MBV forums are claiming to have received the CD and vinyl - mostly EU folks.

18. englishbob

Well I ordered directly from their website about 8 hours after the site went live with the order and...

ORDER STATUS: Not Shipped Yet

So much for that then. After their Facebook anti-eBay rant the other week about NOT buying it from ebay, looks like it was the way to go! FFS!

19. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Don't worry. One person I know who received the vinyl today still has 'Not shipped yet' next to his order online. He said it was sent second class, so keep an eye out tomorrow.

20. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Well, let's get that "one person I know" to post his impressions of the vinyl here. It'll help pass the time til other folks' LPs arrive...

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Heard a couple of the new songs on XMU. Curious to hear those again and then some more. Burned out on Tame Impala. So, this will make for a refreshing change.

22. englishbob

2nd class!? £4.70 for 2nd class. WTF!

23. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

Hey, I'm that "one person".

I listened to the vinyl last night and was blown away. I'd been listening to the album heavily via the wav through my Sonos/Rega DAC and thought it sounded great, nice and wide range and remarkably quiet and sensitive mastering; one of those rare modern albums in digital form that you can crank comfortably.

As for the vinyl. The packaging is pretty sparse and personally I think the artwork looks dreadful blown up. My version came with the CD which was in a cardboard sleeve with the booklet in it. I've only listened to the record once but I was very impressed. The first couple of songs sounded good, some extra width. I was hoping that the guitar break in 'Only Tomorrow' would sound immense but to be honest it sounded a bit better but not remarkably different from the WAV. The third track 'Who Sees Who' was where things got really interesting. I'd thought it was one of the most Loveless sounding tracks before but hearing it on vinyl it sounded like it could have been on Loveless, great big guitar swells filling the room. When the louder part comes in towards the end I was nearly blown off my seat, it hadn't sounded like that before via digital playback. The middle stretch sounded great, the bass in particular had a lot more presence. The last 3 tracks were probably the nightlights and benefited most from hearing on vinyl. ‘In Another Way’, which is quickly becoming my favourite on the album, sounded big and beastly. ‘Nothing Is’ had a wonderful fuzz guitar lurking underneath that I’d missed before and ‘Wonder 2’ was particularly revelatory. My partner, despite loving the rest of the album, hated that sound and found it grating and too intense before but on vinyl it possessed a warmth and subtlety missing from the harshness of the digital version. I could make out the waves of (almost) ambient guitar squall with newfound lucidity.

Overall I think everyone will be impressed with the vinyl. It’s a nice heavyweight pressing housed in an anti-static sleeve. It’s even more crankable than the WAV and new sounds really do become audible without being swamped when you turn up the volume. For me the biggest improvement was in the signature Kevin Sheilds guitar playing which felt warmer and more luxurious than I’d felt on initial plays. My pressing was completely flat. I had a few pops and clicks at the beginning of side one but nothing too extreme and probably attributable to residue left from the pressing process. Hope you all get your copies soon!

24. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

Yeah, a bit of a joke. It did come in a nice big cardboard box mind you!

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Just ordered it from the website, 7 Euro to ship the vinyl to Switzerland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.