My Bloody Valentine Remaster Loveless, Isn't Anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

..."the Loveless (remaster) comes as a double-disc: the first disc remastered from both DAT (digital audio tape) and analogue tape, and the second remastered from just analogue tape. No needless bonus cuts or anything, just two gems in all their pristine, self-contained glory."

What on earth does this mean? It was recorded analog and DAT? Is the DAT a copy from the analog master, then is to be remastered? I love this record, but pass....

3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

All I can say is I feel bad for the poor soul who had to master Loveless. :)

I'm not quite getting the difference between disc 1 and disc 2-

I know disc 2 is analog tape but it also says analog tape on disc 1 as well as DAT.

I'll of course pick it up regardless. I can't wait to hear reviews from their upcoming shows.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

But I like needless bonus cuts!!

:mad:

Mr. Explorer and proudy like this.
  5. I look forward to somebody explaining what this means - but ultimately it dosen't matter as far as making a purchase, because it's a new MBV release and I simply must have it.

EDIT: maybe this posting at Wired explains it - perhaps one is the original mix, and the DAT/analogue is a new remix?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Yeah, we need stuff like the Andrew Weatherall remixes and the stray Isn't Anything tracks! Maybe this stuff will show up on the mooted Japanese box, if it ever really materializes.

7. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

If any album is worthy of outakes, demo's, extra songs this is the one.

I just find anything regarding the making of this album fascinating.

8. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

I really look forward to hearing--either personally or vicariously on this forum--how these sound. I have an original Creation vinyl, and I always thought it sounded really nice, warm and fuzzy. I never picked up the Plain vinyl reissue because everyone said it was "brighter" and "more detailed," which kinda seemed, to me at least, to undermine the album's gauzy shoegazery aesthetic (though it's all personal preference, of course).

9. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Even a bonus DVD would be nice, with videos ("Only Shallow", "Soon") or live material.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I'd posted this in another MBV thread (can't remember which), but there's a limited Japan-only box set with a DVD coming out this June.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2712847

11. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I hope they do a tour in the US and some in-store signings, like they did for their last tour.

I'd love to take my copy of the "Glider" CD I had them autograph and get their autograph again. I'd love to see their reaction to that!

12. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Strange idea... What with the Glider EP, the Tremolo EP and the amazing You Made Me Realize EP, that would have been a great bonus CD.

13. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Picked up tickets for the Toronto show earlier this week!

I was surprised to read that Loveless was mostly recorded in mono.

Would be nice to either get some new MBV material (whether recent or archival) in addition to the standard LPs.

14. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Wait, what? I'm curious now; where'd you read that?

I think it'd be awesome if they reissued Loveless in high-res (with the same loving care that Mute and 4AD are giving the Depeche Mode and Dead Can Dance reissues).

Yeah, I know, another pipe dream.

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Yes do you have a source for this?

16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This requires clarification. Shields did say it in a recent interview without really elaborating. It is true in a couple of ways. First of all both MBV albums are mostly centred, especially Isn't Anything which has a couple of tracks that almost disappear if you play them out of phase ("Feed Me With Your Kiss" being the most obvious one). As for "recorded in mono", well, it was recorded one track at a time on analogue equipment, so technically each track is mono and if you stack them all on top of one another in the centre you get what's basically a mono mix of a mono recording.

But MBV are hardly unique in this - as SH has observed elsewhere, there's been a move towards more centering since 8-track recording was developed.

17. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

They're sold out of it there and cdjapan isn't listing it. Does anybody know where else one might go to pre-order this fine item?

18. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

i ordered mine through amazon japan...worth a shot, particularly for ep's and unreleased material IMO

19. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

Just last week, CD Japan *was* listing it... I really wonder if something funny isn't going on, like it was pulled at the last minute or something. Those two cardboard-sleeve issues are relatively new...

20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It's not looking good. I had a preorder for the box set at HMV Japan. This morning, I got an email saying the release has been postponed and to refer to the website for the new date. I check the website? April 2044! Oh well . . .

21. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Thanks! I order one, but after reading the two posts under yours, am keeping my fingers crossed.

22. This was looking too good to be true, kind of like the "Remastered EPs" collection that is advertised on Amazon.ca (see here) as "currently unavailable".

23. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

24. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I'm starting to wonder if the remastered editions of "Loveless" and "Isn't Anything" will come out.

25. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

i too pre-ordered this from HMV, and got the same message.

i did a quick search on the net, and found this interesting link:

http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/news/boxset.html

...i can't tell if this is an old posting or a newer one. has anyone read this before, or know what the current status of the box set is?

:help:

thanx all!

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.