My Bloody Valentine Remaster Loveless, Isn't Anything

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Would probably either have to do some splicing or make a new cutting master tape to do those all-analog, though I’d hope he would.
    I do have a bootleg vinyl comp of a few of their late 80s EPs and it’s a surprisingly pleasant listen though I’d imagine it comes from CD source

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

If anyone wants to save off the MP3 file from the above stream and you're running a normal installation of Firefox on a Windows machine, you can grab the temp file from this location (in most Windows installations) while it's streaming:

C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\mozilla-temp-files

If you hit refresh while it's streaming, you'll see a randomly named file continue to grow in size as the song progresses. When it gets close to the end of the song, copy the file to another location because it'll disappear as soon as it finishes playback. I don't know if they have different bitrates but mine was a 256k MP3 file and the completed file was 17,856KB in size. It finished downloading to the temp folder above around 10-15 seconds before it finished playing so you have some time to copy it elsewhere before it vanishes. Once you copy it, just rename it to whatever you want with .mp3 at the end and you should be set.

5. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Or just get the DownloadHelper extension, gave me the same file (w/ tags and artwork) with a single click. :D

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

What he said. :)

7. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

Wow...the shipping cost of this is indeed quite brutal even inside EU - any news/reports yet of this reissue being available anywhere else outside the MBV web store?

-Andy

8. robbow99

robbow99 Forum Resident

I certainly hope so, since I refuse to pay that much money to ship a couple records.

9. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Anyone got these yet...?

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Mine shipped on Monday, but the webpage says to allow 28 days from release date for delivery - apparently, that's what $22 shipping gets you: a month for delivery! Shipping was too high, but I ordered this three and a half months ago, so I'm over it - if it hits Bullmoose for $19.99 I'm going to be pissed, though.

jonboulay likes this.
  11. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Ah, so it would appear only available on the mbv website...

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Yes. For now. Hopefully will go into wider release VERY soon.

13. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I'm sure it will be available at record shoppes long before my pre-order arrives in 28 days. o_O

Preston, Neonbeam and RobNeil like this.
  14. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident

15. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Loveless is my most wanted album on vinyl and I've gotten to the checkout page on their site for the reissue twice but each time I just can't pull the trigger when the shipping is that high, I just can't justify it. I really hope this gets into regular shops after a while.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  16. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

would you be more ok with the deal if shipping costs are low but the albums are 49.99 each?
    I totally get you. Still, for your "most wanted album on vinyl" it's not such a bad deal really. people (inluding myself) have spent much more on sought after records.

17. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

That's a fair point, and I know it may seem a little fussy, but I try really really hard not to break out of a certain price range for records even if I'm really passionate about them, and while this isn't totally out of bounds even with shipping costs attached, it's high enough that it's hard to justify it for me, or to look upon it as a huge advantage over the copies floating around on ebay (which I know are alternately low-quality and outrageously priced; not saying my logic is perfect). I'll probably end up buying it eventually, it's just harder for me to make the move than it would be if it were a bit lower.

This has been the Disposable Income Private Principles Corner, starring dustybooks.

erowid likes this.
  18. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

A $50 new record is, presumably, coming from a high-end pressing plant with greater quality control, with poly-lined inner sleeves, and a tip-on or generally high-quality jacket. At $24, I fully expect these to be in paper inners, pressed at GZ, with an alright but unimpressive jacket, and at that price, I'm trepidatious enough to wait for reports. It could be fine. But it could be not fine. So yes, I would emphatically prefer a $50 record and low shipping costs, or even a $35 record and average shipping costs.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

These were cut AAA at Abbey Road, and come with tip-on heavy weight jackets and poly lined printed inners.

I haven’t seen any word on pressing plant yet, but my guess would be Optimal. Kevin Shields is famously fussy about doing this right.

scottp, erowid and senseabove like this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Forgot to add that the jackets are gatefolds, as well.

erowid likes this.
  21. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Oh, fantastic. I knew they were AAA, but had missed the bit in the description about the jacket and inners.

erowid, Mr. Grieves and Gabe Walters like this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Someone posted an interview with Sheilds regarding this release. I think it was with Pitchfork or something?

Anyway, from the article, you can clearly tell he went through a lot of work to make sure these were done right in everyway, esspecially for Loveless. It truly seems like it was a labor of love. Can't wait for these

jonboulay and krlpuretone like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Amazing how people here are trying to justify what definitely is a rip off postage. So what if you have spent "much more" on records. These new releases are effectively reissues and should be widely available for a regular price. But eventually they will:whistle:

24. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

To give you guys an example: Last week I bought 2 equally expensive records locally. Found 2 Flaming Lips albums in a rareties bin that I've been looking to track down for ages, "Transmissions from the satellite heart" and "Clouds taste metallic". Both of them coloured vinyl 1st print editions in near mint condition. The shop owner wanted 50 Euros for each - which I gladly paid in the end. Sure, one could say I'm a crazy person for buying two vinyl records for 100 Euros (I am not rich btw). I'm sure my girlfriend would roll her eyes if she knew ;) However - the satisfaction and joy I got from finally playing these albums in amazing sound quality on my turntable was truly priceless. Or at least, worth the price of admission. And I have a gut feeling / kind of hope that these AAA My Bloody Valentine Reiusses will do the same for me. They may not be original pressings or colored vinyl like the Flamling Lips LPs, but Audio wise, my gut tells me we are in for a treat.

25. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

The Loveless vinyl is overstretched (47 mins). It can only sound B+ at best. Isn't anything at 38 mins may sound A level. Given that A plus is the best it could sound with excellent mastering and 45 rpm pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.