My Bose speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Yes, I am the owner of a pair of Bose speakers. They've been in my backyard since I purchased them ten years ago. I was looking for a pair of speakers that I could keep in the back yard and not have to worry about physical deterioration or theft (who would steal a pair of Bose speakers?). Never bothered to take them in during the Winter months.

I have to admit, they sound lovely today:
    [​IMG]

After ten years of freezing Chicago winters and rough weather, now full of spider webs and swelling at the seams, I swear they've actually improved sonically.

So, it turns out Bose is good for something, eh?

2. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Yes they are good speakers. I am running two sets in my bedroom system and agree they do sound nice.

Good for something, yes many hours of great listening.

3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That is a hilarious forum name.

I think you should send this post to Dr. Bose and see how he feels about it!

If the surrounds aren't cracked, them I am impressed. Anyway, Bose certainly has the engineering firepower to make whatever they want. They just choose to put out lifestyle-ish products which are highly profitable, as opposed to the ultimate in fidelity.

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Use and abuse actually improves the sound. I think you may be on to something...burning and freezing them in. Priceless.

L.P., Ash76 and audiomixer like this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Really?!?

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Yes.

mwb and Billy Infinity like this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:rolleyes:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Dr. Bose died not that long ago. I don't think you should send this to him. He will be unable to read it.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I know, right? Should've put a pair of Wilsons or Harbeths out there.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I might try this with my Advents and Martin Logan's this winter.

11. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I think it's amazing and quite impressive that they work at all after ten years of that kind of abuse. Makes me even more proud of my 901's, my 161's and my Companion II's. Maybe I'll splurge on a new pair of Bose 151 SE's for the back porch!

12. My 40+ year old Bose 901 Series II are still going strong, so apparently they did some other things correctly, too! :righton:

JeffMo and RonW like this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

You know the old saying, Bose blows. They really do. And any non outdoor speaker left out in those conditions would deteriorate into trash. I suggest you have your hearing checked,. Seriously.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I feel sorry for you, too bad they did not die. 901 is the worst number for speakers in the world. Number 9, number 9.....9...999999

15. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

My 24 year old 10.2 II's are still going strong too. As stated above, they did know how to make good speakers, but they found that appealing to the masses made them more profit than building good-sounding speakers. As music lovers, we can be disappointed in the direction they chose, but I'm sure their shareholders were not at all disappointed.

16. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

There you go! This was the whole point of the thread anyway wasn't it?
    If you heard my 301's and saw their placement I think you might be very surprised although something tells me no learning would take place.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Perhaps this proves that what speakers really need to shine is not burn-in but freeze-out.

18. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Speakers improved or just effectiveness of cable cryogenic treatment?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

It's been replaced by the Bose 666 series.

20. Apparently I stepped in a trap by posting in a Bose thread on here without saying something negative. My apologies for enjoying my music on my equipment. I'll try to be on the bandwagon more often. Carry on.

Vinyl Addict, LuLu Reed, sami and 8 others like this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Cryogenically treated speakers, a new thought. Cool!

22. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

2014 and there are still people who have such negative feelings towards Bose that they can't resist making negative comments whenever someone says something nice about them? Stop living in the past, guys. All the young audiophiles are having conniptions over Beats now, not Bose. Bose-bashing is history.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Honestly I have heard them, and yes for a short time I used to sell bose products.

Huge commission, easy to sale, not truly bad, but not great. Simply convenient and average.

The 301 was one of the better of their speakers for sure. A good for its size product. No BS or gimmickry.

bhazen likes this.
  24. Talk about a long break-in period! ;)

Andy A, Balthazar and kevintomb like this.
  25. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

In the 1980s I heard two pairs of stacked 301s, mounted on pedestals in the middle of a room, their tweeters pointed inward and the vanes removed, and powered by some nice Crown electronics. They sounded absolutely golden. The pedestals had been cut down, inch by inch, until they sounded perfect from the listening chair and within this particular room. I was quite surprised by the soundstage and tone that came out of that set-up and could have lived with it very easily.

Listen with your ears, folks, not your biases. You should hear a pair of 901s Series I or II speakers set up right. Nowadays that would include spending a couple of hundred bucks upgrading the pretty awful 1960s equalizer, along with replacing the rotted foam surrounds on all the drivers. With care, the 901 Series I or II can be a very revealing speaker.

Nice set-up, Sid. If I was in Chicago, I'd sit in your back yard, enjoying tunes and having a beer with you. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.