My Bose speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Wow, that's a bit harsh. I've heard a pair of 901's that were set up properly and they sounded pretty impressive. And as far as outdoor speakers I'm sure many of them sound much worse than those Bose. For a guy with Pioneer speakers you're a bit outspoken.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It's nothing short of absurd for anyone to even suggest an indoor speaker sitting out long term directly exposed to snow and rain would sound like anything worth listening to.

You have your opinion of the 901's, I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I agree on the 901's-amazing when set up correctly. Jealousy can bring the worst out of some or maybe in this case the best you could hope for...

Ntotrar likes this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Indeed.

I waited for the storm to end today, then went back to have a look underneath the grille:

[​IMG]

Lol. Aside from some discoloration, the cones and surrounds seem to be intact. The particle board cabinets are another matter...

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I understand the Pioneer TZ-9 is an excellent garden and patio speaker! :)

I have 2 mongrel AM-5 setups (AM-5 bass units and "Lifestyle 25" cubes) in "non-critical" listening locations, a bed room, my living room and My son has my old top loading CD wave radio.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Bose 141s, right?

Actually, my fave Bose speaker. The least fatiguing speaker in the Bose range.

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thousands of years from now all traces of humans will be gone, but your Bose speakers will still be playing that CD you set to auto-repeat before the insects took over!

SandAndGlass, bhazen, ggergm and 2 others like this.
  8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

If I am not mistaken, I remember reading that driver was considered an "all weather" speaker, or at least some models. Wonder if the same driver was used in all models using it?

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Well... my extensive field testing seems to corroborate that.

10. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

This actually made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

11. Schoolmaster Bones

bump

[​IMG]

Another spring cleanup... and I find these fellas in the backyard, right where I left them last Fall. I applied a light spray of DeOxit to the terminals, stripped back the speaker wires an inch, and the soundstage is drastically extended. Drastically!!

The music server is blasting Harmonia for all the neighbors to enjoy while Mrs. Hartha tends her garden. Thanks, Bose!

Gavinyl, JeffMo, SandAndGlass and 5 others like this.
  12. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Looks like someone stood 'em up since last year.

13. Schoolmaster Bones

My guess: it was racoons.

14. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I have had a pair of Bose 601s - Series 2 for close to 30 years and they are magnificent. Many have heard them and wanted to buy them, but I would never. Admittedly the new Bose cube systems are mediocre, but not my babies.

vegafleet and JimW like this.
  15. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I hear ya. I got a pair of 10.2 II's that my then-gf bought me as a graduation present in 1990. These babies rocked since day 1 and keep on rocking. These are partially to blame for the cubes, as the 10.2's were the 1st implementation of the acoustamass bass system; each tower has one in the base, w/ two ports out back getting pulses from a 6 1/2" internal driver through some crazy Dr. Bose transmission line magic,along with two tweeters and a mid in the patented "stereo-targeting array". These things have always rattled walls since day 1 and audyssey set them as large, meaning they were at least within 3 db at 40hz (I suspect at least on of the ports is tuned to 40), but I cross them over at 40. The surrounds on the mids still look fine, everything looks and sounds solid 25 years later.

I sometimes hate to admit that I have Bose speakers around here, such is the disdain. But I love listening to them. Dr. Bose may have put his genius towards marketing later on, but he began as a pretty damn good engineer. My Bose lust began after a demo of the 901's at an audio show in Philly. Those were the ultimate Bose.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Still not feeling em .:thumbsdow

17. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I think ones opinion about Bose speakers, or at least those of the "direct/reflecting" variety, is at least partly determined by whether your point of reference is other speakers, or if it's live music. If you have live music in mind, then you will probably like them. On the other hand, if when you shop for speakers your reference is some other pair of speakers, then you may not dig'em because they don't sound like most other speakers. Personally, I love my 901's. I know of nothing I'd trade them for at even 3x the price.

JimW and marcob1963 like this.
  18. marcob1963

Hear, hear

19. JimW

Good point. Some folks don't like bi-poles (what are 901's- omni-poles?). I have always loved the fullness personally. But it's funny how many people talk about preference being what matters when it comes to other components, sources, etc. "If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters." But when it comes to Bose speakers, that tolerance often disappears, replaced w/ disdain.

sami likes this.
  20. marcob1963

How many on this forum have actually listened to a pair of Bose 601 or 901s - Series 2, powered by a good powerful amp up to the job (at least 100watts per channel for 601s)?

dennis the menace likes this.
  21. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable calling the 901's quasi-omnidirectional. :D Whatever they are, I like it!

And you're exactly right about the disdain. About a million ways to skin this cat and they're all cool -except Bose! Tubes or solid state, LP or CD, stand mounts or towers...it's all good! But Bose? ...BOSE?? Well, I must be either ignorant or deaf! :rolleyes: Oh well...at this point I don't care. I know what I like and I'm not trying to impress anyone but me. So there! :wiggle: ...:winkgrin:

sami likes this.
  22. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard 601's for a long time; since whenever they were still being made, anyway. But I owned 901 IV's back in the 70's and I've had my VI's since '09. I'm not sure what amp I had with the IV's -probably a 60W Pioneer SA8500 integrated. My VI's get fed by a 150W NAD. So far it seems to be enough for me but I know more would be better.

23. marcob1963

I think a 150W NAD would do the job nicely. 901s are more efficient than the 601s, you can run them with a less powerful amp. The 601s on the other hand, refuse almost to budge with anything less than 100W.

24. JimW

I've never heard the 601's, but I've heard most of the other 01's. The 301's are ubiquitous and I had a friend who bought a pair of 401's but upgraded to the 501's. Those things were cool. m ore like a box than a tower.

How many drivers in a 601? Is it 6?

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my car came equipped with a bose system and it sounds sim;y wonderful

also my TV has a bose home theater sound system and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.