My Conversation With An Online Vinyl Retailer... Returning Defective Vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bernard hansen, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernard hansen

Bernard hansen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here this goes.....

I had the second of two conversations with a popular online vinyl retail store (can I say their name?), concerning a very defective copy of Pink Floyds "Animals" reissue. Obviously there is a thread detailing all the faults of these pressings as well as the perfect copies that some, maybe most, have received.

When I initially clicked the sites online chat feature, I told them about the unplayable album I received, offered photos, to which they declined. and they initially said they would send me a replacement copy forthwith. About a week has passed since my initial chat, and no email indicating a replacement had been sent.

SO, I go back on site, hit the chat, and was told that the copy they were sending has a warp in it....................

After a rather uncomfortable pause, I indicated that I did not wish to replace one unplayable copy with another, to which she replied: "You need to realize that if you received a bad copy initially, that I should expect that there would be anomalies apparent in the entire batch" After another shorter pause, I asked if I could get credit on another album at the same price, which she replied that they cannot exchange a defective lp with a different lp of the same price.

SO, then she says: "Why don't you keep the defective lp, and we will give you a discount on next purchase"
    Not falling for that, due to the fact that she would not say what the discount would be, I simply asked for a refund to which she replied that it wasn't their fault, but the pressing plants are so overwhelmed that they can't press vinyl without defects. I replied that although that is true, the bottom line is that they are sending this stuff out anyway, and I have always asked them to inspect the vinyl before shipping, yet they sent an obviously unplayable album anyway after taking it out of the sleeve, therefore they are not without responsibility in the matter.

In the end I have decided to take a step waaay back from online vinyl purchases, seeing that they are entering Ebay-like issues with vinyl condition. I didn't name this online retailer in this initial post, so as not to potentially break a forum rule, but I thought it worth speaking about. I know any online purchase has it's inherent risks, but where is the limit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    DK Pete likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

First question I have is what is the retailer's written return/exchange/refund policy? I'd only buy new vinyl from a satisfaction guaranteed seller.

Second is, that sucks, but does it deserve it's own thread?

3. Bernard hansen

Well, up until now that was the case, but it seems they must be getting a ton of defective vinyl, because thats the first end-around I've gotten from them.

4. Bernard hansen

Just expounding on an ever growing issue my friend...

showtaper likes this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Not clear what the final outcome was... If no refund or acceptable exchange is forthcoming (and you haven't left out anything important), I'd go ahead and name the retailer.

Shawn likes this.
  6. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I have to say I had a pretty horrible copy of the Animals reissue, which really pissed me off as its my favorite PF album, and the retailer without batting an eyelash let me exchange for another which I inspected in their presence. Frankly, I suspect if I'd had a high end ultrasonic cleaner I could have gotten the sticky gunk off the surface of the record.... And a GIANT F'u to the folks you dealt with.

7. Bernard hansen

As I said, I asked for the refund. I am sending back their trash. They simply attempted to exchange garbage for less smelly garbage.

8. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Sorry you've experienced this kind of treatment.

My experience is the polar opposite -- any time I've contact SoundStageDirect, Music Direct, Elusive Disc or even Amazon with defective vinyl, they've replaced it no questions asked. It's about 50/50 whether they request that I return the bad copy or just trash it.

9. Stone Turntable

So you're *getting* a refund?

10. Bernard hansen

Always has been my experience. I have only returned two other copies to this particular retailer, since 2008, so it's not like I am supremely nit-picky.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  11. Eric Weinraub

Evidently you've fallen asleep. Vinyl sales in the UK have eclipsed ALL sales including download.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. Bernard hansen

Yes, and I am sure you might reply.. "Whats the problem?" The problem is the attempt to drop another pile of dung in my lap without much hesitation.

showtaper, Tuco and Gumboo like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I would bypass that chat function and just call them. That's ridiculous. I would tell them...why the hell would I ever buy anything else from you, even at a discount, if you are selling me defective goods!

Darksolstice, Tuco, Dave and 2 others like this.
  14. Bernard hansen

Precisely... I thought I would take an evening to reflect on my first-world issue, and perhaps another more direct line of communication can help both parties.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Are you absolutely sure they've eclipsed CD sales?

I mean, obviously you want them to have...

SuntoryTime likes this.
  16. Eric Weinraub

I was listening to NPR and the show the World during their interview of the owner of Honest John's records in London and he stated that vinyl sales had eclipsed digital downloading, which has been ahead of CDs, currently.

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No they haven't. There was an article stating that more money was made from vinyl the week Kate Bush's £50 LP came out. Sales of vinyl records have not overtaken downloads, not even remotely close.

Funky54, Phil Elliott, Veovis and 4 others like this.
  18. Bernard hansen

Just to clarify. they did agree to the refund after their initial idiocy, and my lesson is learned.

19. Bobby Morrow

I was going to say..

20. Stone Turntable

No, I sympathise! With the flawed LP, the attempted runaround, and presumably the shipping cost you'll have to eat.

Seems like this is really about the well-known issues of vinyl QC, and only tangentially about the seller's fairness and honesty.

Naughty Chord and Bernard hansen like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Good luck with your future purchases.:)

Bernard hansen likes this.
  22. Bernard hansen

Yes, a well known and ever increasing plague, that is causing retailers to have to resort to suspect remedies.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sounds like the problems are getting worse and worse, and sellers are pushing back so they don't have to take returns or do refunds. Many sellers won't do returns or refunds in the first place. The whole thing is a huge headache.

Dave and Bernard hansen like this.
  24. Bernard hansen

Something will have to give eventually. Handling it this way is just kicking the can..

Blue Cactus and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ok...that sounds better. Just deal with a different retailer in the future. No one should have to settle for a booger stuck in their $28 record.

ArpMoog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.