My Conversation With An Online Vinyl Retailer... Returning Defective Vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bernard hansen, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm beginning to think most retailers would agree. Customers who buy vinyl are the worst.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They can be incredibly loyal too. Yes, some can be picky.
    If retailers don't want to deal with the customers who are the "worst"...stop selling what they are buying. Don't blame the customer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Same here! We busted a few customers who had purchased vinyl records just to record to reel or cassette tape and they return as defective. Some we just quit selling to because we knew what they were up to.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I also thought they were real professional in the face of "vinyl venting" that has nothing to do with them.

Groovy and GTOJUDGE like this.
  5. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Good luck getting a hold of a major label anymore. I spent 20 minutes looking for any contact information for Columbia Records to get a replacement album. There is none.

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I am pretty much done with vinyl purchases now. It is starting to remind me of all the problems with vinyl records in the 1970's and 1980's. The vinyl records I have now are good and I am satisfied with their sound quality and condition.

I am still searching out those good sounding CD's and that is my main focus at the moment.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The problem is that the term "defective" is extremely subjective. I've been on threads here about warpage where a few posters would consider any warps to be grounds for a return or exchange. No mention if it sounds OK...they just want all records to be completely flat.

If I had a requirement like that, I'd probably be going mad with returns / exchanges also. But I don't.

As for the OP...I suppose if you still deal with them, then perhaps call them before they ship or at least email them to please inspect the records first. Sounds like this particular LP has a defect that I wold have called about as well, but the replacement warped one I may have asked "how warped? Is it playable?".

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Most returns are thrown in the bargain bin for wholesale cost or loss of a couple bucks. The store sells so much they roll with it.

But when customers ask to inspect just the covers for the 10 copies of a new LP i have to shake my head. I've seen costumers desperate want an album, but won't buy a last copy due to a minor corner crease - then it goes OOP or they wait 6 months for it back in stock.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm reminded of a the produce industry that tosses out at least 20% of perfectly edible food simply because visible flaws.

9. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I have a vinyl flat. Warping or dishing isn't an issue to me, at all. I'll have fixed. that in a couple hours in the flat- however, off center and non-fill have become an issue - Pink Floyd MORE, and both Crowes' pressed at QRP were off center, my recent GUERO and Sundazed Shirelles have non fill.

I usually have great luck, but the amount of non fill and off center records (FROM REPUTABLE PLANTS AND LABELS) is staggering.

(I also work at a brick and mortar when not on the road with Driving Wheel, so...I'm always on both ends.)

DeRosa likes this.
  10. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

We usually put returned items in the used section and price them at 10% above cost.

We will also convert new items to used if they aren't moving, open them up and price them 10% above cost. It works.

11. SoundAdvice

Stores allow returns, but customers are given warning if there are too many. told to go elsewhere or can only buy opened used product.

Maybe picky customers should open stuff in the store and closely inspect it.

I do smirk when I here about SH Forums getting banned from Amazon

12. SoundAdvice

Why not sell at a swap meet? I see high ticket items selling at the fairs I attend if the prices are good.

Sax-son likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Trust me, I do understand. I worked as a clerk in a record store. I was a manger of a record store. I was the general manager of a chain of record stores, and ultimately, I owned my own store. Sometimes it's not easy, and it can be a very frustrating business. Yes, there are those that have tried to cheat the system....by making copies., or swapping stickers, or records, etc. And I think you are always gonna find buyers/collectors who have extremely high standards...and low tolerance for manufacturing flaws. You'll also find these types of people in just about every form of retail environment out there. I find it odd that you take pleasure in others getting banned from Amazon. And I seriously doubt you would let your "picky" customers open the stuff in your store to inspect it. What if it didn't meet their approval? Would they just keep opening things?

In this case...I do think Larissa did a good job of offering a refund, although I never would have offered a customer a known defective product in exchange. I know Larissa...I've dealt with her, and SoundStage and I think they are reputable dealers. I think the chat thing wasn't really the best idea, because she really couldn't see how bad the defect was. No one in their right mind would be expected to keep that.

Merrick, GTOJUDGE and KOWHeigel like this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yes! It can be expensive dealing with customer OCD.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Non-fill definitely bugs me - can't really fix that one on my own. Off-center I don't get too bent about if it's something minor / can fix on my own.

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yeah! You are right. I am seeing quit a few vendors at local swap meets selling the records for some pretty hefty prices now. The unfortunate problem is that a good portion of those are in abominable condition.

If one displays their wares properly, you will get a lot of attention and success. However, if they setting in a pile on the ground, forget it.

17. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Are we allowed to walk into your store and open things for inspection without buying it first?

jon9091 likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you want to blame anyone, blame the record labels. They did away with a return allowance on vinyl as soon as CDs started to take off. In the good old days of vinyl, retailers had a return allowance on all new vinyl purchases, typically around 20-25% of what was purchased. At that time, they were much less unhappy to take returns.

Today? All vinyl is sold one-way to the retailer. If you return an item to them, they eat the full cost of the return (minus, perhaps, whatever they can get for it sold as used--small stores will often do this, while large retailers will often take a full writeoff minus maybe 5-10% when sold off as schlock on the backend).

So it's no surprise retailers are very reluctant to take returns. Add to that the fact that a lot of the buyers who try to return stuff are either ridiculously picky or scammers, and it's not a pretty picture. (Yes, I know there are real defects that warrant returns, but if you have ever sat on the other side of the returns desk, you know that a huge fraction of returns are questionable).

Bottom line: If you are going to buy vinyl , then either buy from sellers with clear return policies compatible with your own degree of anal retentiveness, or else stop buying vinyl.

Tullman and c-eling like this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

I usually try to live with small noise but non fill I can't live with. I've bought around 1500 LPs in my day and probably returned 15 or so. The worst one I ever had was Dylan's John W. Harding. Had to return it 3 times in the 70's for huge amounts of noise. Never did hear a good one until I got the perfect Mono box followed by the fantastic MFSL 45 rpm version.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

More lps were sold than cds?

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

perhaps this has to do with location, but here anything over a dollar is generally considered overpriced. the other problem is that boxing up and transporting near mintish rarities, after getting pawed through 30 40 50 times, near mint isn't so near mint anymore.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I missed those worm's Gas, I stayed far away from that thread :laugh:
    Just giving a quick answer to the question :cheers:

Gaslight likes this.
  25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have a retail background too, and have experienced all types of people, at their best and worst.
    What i learned a long time ago is the businesses who base their policies around trying to defeat the abusers
    end up being stores i don't want to do business with. It's quite amazing that expecting the worst in people
    has a funny way of coming true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.