My Dad Is Dead - For fans of Joy Division, Interpol, Wedding Present, Husker Du

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manicpopthrill, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rediscovering this band in the past week, and can't believe I never managed to notice just how good they/he were. I guess it's not surprising that there's never been a thread on them here.....Mark Edwards kind of damned himself into obscurity with a name like MDID. Anyway, check 'em out. Sort of an existentialist Wedding Present from Cleveland (he's often a dead ringer for David Gedge).

drasil and Dudley Morris like this.
  2. manicpopthrill

A very cool instrumental. One of the YT comments: "Interpol liked this."

3. Wow, now here's a blast from the past. I picked up Peace, Love, and Murder and Let's Skip the Details back in the day, having heard them on late-night public radio and really got into them, but haven't listened to any of their stuff in over 20 (!) years. Perhaps I oughta rectify that!

manicpopthrill likes this.
  4. I like all of those bands, so I'll have to check these guys out. What would you say are their top 2 albums?

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Never heard of them (him?). Not surprising. Pulled it up on Spotify so that's on the playlist for tonight. Thanks!

6. manicpopthrill

The Taller You Are, the Shorter You Get is generally considered one of his best, but it's a bit daunting due to it being a double album. I would even suggest trying the final album (from 2009), A New Clear Route.

7. manicpopthrill

Check bandcamp too. I think there might be some stuff there that isn't on Spotify.

8. nbakid2000

I'm listening to ...And He's Not Gonna Take It Anymore.

So far I think Bauhaus, She Wants Revenge, etc. do this type of thing better. But I'm only on the first album, so things could change.

9. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Mark is great. Happy to see this thread.

10. Wow, MDID is on Spotify! This is just nutty. Although it seems their Homestead stuff isn't on there?

11. manicpopthrill

All that early stuff is available for free download on the MDID website:

http://www.mydadisdead.com/music/

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

I highly recommend "Let's Skip the Details." One time my Dad saw the disc in my car and he didn't like the band's name

13. nbakid2000

I'm on 'Chopping Down the Family Tree' and I swear I've heard that song before, somewhere. The band is growing on me, btw. A mix between Bauhaus/Dead Kennedys/Joy Division, etc.

14. manicpopthrill

You're definitely doing the hard work by going chronologically. I'll be interested in what you think of Taller You Get...

15. nbakid2000

Yeah that's how I usually do these things. I like to see how a band progresses. I'm on Out of Sight Out if Mind right now and almost done with it. The albums seem to get better as they go along. More melodic, etc.

Not sure about Taller You Get as it's not on Spotify.

16. manicpopthrill

'Taller' is on bandcamp......and it's a greatly expanded and remixed version. The original album can be downloaded for free here:
    http://www.mydadisdead.com/music/

Just don't expect 320's. :D

17. nbakid2000

Awesome I will get that then. I will listen to the rest of the Spotify catalog today/this weekend.

18. manicpopthrill

To answer this one again: I would recommend anyone new to this band start with a later album like For Richer, For Poorer. It's much more accessible than much of the early albums (not nearly as Noise-y, and Mark's voice improved over the years). I would then work forward and backwards from there and see how far you can go (until you scream for mercy ;)).

19. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Talk about obscure, I'm from Cleveland and recorded many indie artists in my home studio, and I never heard of him.

20. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  21. manicpopthrill

I wouldn't ever have known about him either if it weren't for Trouser Press.

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=my_dad_is_dead

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. manicpopthrill

He definitely dialed back the dread and angst over time, but I think the later albums are just as good. Hell, I may end up preferring them. Dread and angst take me only so far at my age. :tiphat:

23. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

24. nbakid2000

I got through everything Spotify had and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Now I gotta get the stuff I'm missing.

25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Also worth checking out: a band MDID often toured with called Prisonshake = hot garage-y rock way before Jack White donned the plastic guitar and predecessor/compatriot to Guided By Voices...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.