My father's film triumph at Venice Film Festival *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

This thread needs a Sticky! The thread title is a bit understated for such interesting news.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I dunno - I was trying to be modest here.

3. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

No need for modesty - your father made the greatest war film ever. Nothing comes close.

johnnyyen, realkilroy and antonkk like this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I was unaware of these films until this thread but now I am most certainly going to check them out. Anton, thank you for bringing them to our attention. I'm sure I'll have questions once I see them. You must be very proud to see this out.

5. antonkk

Thanx! Though I can't choose between my father's and mother's war movies. Very different but both equally great to me and to most film critics for that matter as well. And both not even my favorite among their film.

Halfwit likes this.
  6. antonkk

I am!:righton:

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife has seen Come and See, but I doubt I'll ever find the guts to do so. Ever since she watched all nine and a half hours of Shoah in the theater in a day, I have acknowledged that she's a better person than I am.

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So where can I get this blu ray and does it have english subtitles?

9. antonkk

Strangely it only has japanese subtitles. I'm sure the international Blu Ray release will follow this year. They don't restore the film and show it in Venice for nothing right? I will post as soon as I know of the release date.

10. antonkk

Some good points here. From Wikipedia.

Reception[edit]

Initial reception was positive. Walter Goodman, writing for The New York Times, claimed that "The history is harrowing and the presentation is graphic... Powerful material, powerfully rendered...", dismissed the ending as "a dose of instant inspirationalism," but concedes to Klimov's "unquestionable talent."[11] Rita Kempley, of the Washington Post, wrote that "directing with an angry eloquence, [Klimov] taps into that hallucinatory nether world of blood and mud and escalating madness that Francis Ford Coppola found in Apocalypse Now. And though he draws a surprisingly vivid performance from his inexperienced teen lead, Klimov's prowess is his visual poetry, muscular and animistic, like compatriot Andrei Konchalovsky's in his epic Siberiade."[12] Mark Le Fanu wrote in Sight & Sound(03/01/1987) that Come and See is a "powerful war film... The director has elicited an excellent performance from his central actor Kravchenko." According to Klimov, the film was so shocking for audiences, however, that ambulances were sometimes called in to take away particularly impressionable viewers, both in the Soviet Union and abroad.[8] During one of the after-the-film discussions, an elderly German stood up and said: "I was a soldier of the Wehrmacht; moreover, an officer of the Wehrmacht. I traveled through all of Poland and Belarus, finally reaching Ukraine. I will testify: everything that is told in this film is the truth. And the most frightening and shameful thing for me is that this film will be seen by my children and grandchildren."[7]

Come and See has since been widely acclaimed, and appears on many lists of films considered the best. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports a 95% approval critic response based on 21 reviews, with an average score of 8.1/10.[13] Daneet Steffens of Entertainment Weekly wrote that "Klimov alternates the horrors of war with occasional fairy tale-like images; together they imbue the film with an unapologetically disturbing quality that persists long after the credits roll."[14] In 2006, Geoffrey Macnab of Sight & Sound opined, "Klimov's astonishing war movie combines intense lyricism with the kind of violent bloodletting that would make even Sam Peckinpah pause."[citation needed]

In 2001, J. Hoberman of The Village Voice reviewed Come and See, writing the following: "Directed for baroque intensity, Come and See is a robust art film with aspirations to the visionary – not so much graphic as leisurely literal-minded in its representation of mass murder. (The movie has been compared both to Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, and it would not be surprising to learn that Steven Spielberg had screened it before making either of these.[clarification needed]) The film's central atrocity is a barbaric circus of blaring music and barking dogs in which a squadron of drunken German soldiers round up and parade the peasants to their fiery doom... The bit of actual death-camp corpse footage that Klimov uses is doubly disturbing in that it retrospectively diminishes the care with which he orchestrates the town's destruction. For the most part, he prefers to show the Gorgon as reflected in Perseus's shield. There are few images more indelible than the sight of young Alexei Kravchenko's fear-petrified expression. By some accounts the boy was hypnotized for the movie's final scenes – most viewers will be as well."[15] In the same publication in 2009, Elliott Stein described Come and Seeas "a startling mixture of lyrical poeticism and expressionist nightmare."[16]

In 2002, Scott Tobias of The A.V. Club wrote that Klimov's "impressions are unforgettable: the screaming cacophony of a bombing run broken up by the faint sound of a Mozart fugue, a dark, arid field suddenly lit up by eerily beautiful orange flares, German troops appearing like ghosts out of the heavy morning fog. A product of the glasnost era, Come and See is far from a patriotic memorial of Russia's hard-won victory. Instead, it's a chilling reminder of that victory's terrible costs."[17] British magazine The Word wrote that "Come and See is widely regarded as the finest war film ever made, though possibly not by Great Escape fans."[18] Tim Lott wrote in 2009 that the film "makes Apocalypse Now look lightweight".[19] On 16 June 2010, Roger Ebert posted a review of Come and See as part of his "Great Movies" series, describing it as "one of the most devastating films ever about anything, and in it, the survivors must envy the dead... The film depicts brutality and is occasionally very realistic, but there's an overlay of muted nightmarish exaggeration... I must not describe the famous sequence at the end. It must unfold as a surprise for you. It pretends to roll back history. You will see how. It is unutterably depressing, because history can never undo itself, and is with us forever."[20]

Come and See was placed at number 60 on Empire magazine's "The 500 Greatest Movies of all Time" in 2008.[21] It also made Channel 4's list of 50 Films to See Before You Die[22] and was ranked number 24 in Empire magazine's "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema" in 2010.[23] Phil de Semlyen of Empire has described the work as "Elim Klimov’s seriously influential, deeply unsettling Belarusian opus. No film – not Apocalypse Now, not Full Metal Jacket – spells out the dehumanising impact of conflict more vividly, or ferociously... An impressionist masterpiece and possibly the worst date movie ever."[24] It ranked 154th among critics, and 30th among directors, in the 2012 Sight & Sound polls of the greatest films ever made.[25]

Klimov did not make any more films after Come and See, leading some critics to speculate as to why. In 2001, Klimov said, "I lost interest in making films ... Everything that was possible I felt I had already done."[26] Klimov died on 26 October 2003.[27]

Solaris likes this.
  11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Two of the comments on that article indicate that Criterion may be releasing this in North America. That would be great if true, but like you, I'd certainly jump on a Region B release if that comes to pass. It would be a natural choice for either Eureka or Arrow.

Dudley Morris and townsend like this.
  13. antonkk

The thing about Come and See is that you don't even need a good english translation - all you need id the subtitles - there's no much talking in the film. As long as the picture/sound quality is good. I haven't seen the restored one yet so I can't comment on this one but sadly some of the previous Mosfilm restorations (including my father's classic Welcome (Or no Trespassing) Blu-Ray were way too sharp/focused - similar sins to digital no-noising in audio remastering I guess. Hope since Come and See restoration was so applauded and it was an 80's film any way there were no excesses this time.

townsend likes this.
  14. antonkk

I know this thread was mostly about my father's film but anyway since their appeared on FB today I decided to post a few cool vintage pics of my mum - with my father (mid 60's), Werner Herzog, Bernardo Bertolucci and Andrey Tarkovsky (all 70's).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. antonkk

Last week BBC compiled the list of 100 best foreign language films of all time. Come and See was at Number 59. Rather modest by the film's standarts but considering that the only other russians to make the list were Tarkovsky and Eisenstein it was pretty cool.

The 100 greatest foreign-language films

100. Landscape in the Mist (Theo Angelopoulos, 1988)
    99. Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda, 1958)
    98. In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)
    97. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
    96. Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
    95. Floating Clouds (Mikio Naruse, 1955)
    94. Where Is the Friend's Home? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987)
    93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
    92. Scenes from a Marriage (Ingmar Bergman, 1973)
    91. Rififi (Jules Dassin, 1955)
    90. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959)
    89. Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
    88. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1939)
    87. The Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)
    86. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)
    85. Umberto D (Vittorio de Sica, 1952)
    84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Buñuel, 1972)
    83. La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
    82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
    81. Celine and Julie go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
    80. The Young and the Damned (Luis Buñuel, 1950)
    79. Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
    78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
    77. The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)
    76. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)
    75. Belle de Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967)
    74. Pierrot Le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965)
    73. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
    72. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
    71. Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai, 1997)
    70. L’Eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962)
    69. Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
    68. Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
    67. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Buñuel, 1962)
    66. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973)
    65. Ordet (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955)
    64. Three Colours: Blue (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993)
    63. Spring in a Small Town (Fei Mu, 1948)
    62. Touki Bouki (Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973)
    61. Sansho the Bailiff (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
    60. Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)
    59. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)
    58. The Earrings of Madame de… (Max Ophüls, 1953)
    57. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
    56. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)
    55. Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962)
    54. Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994)
    53. Late Spring (Yasujirô Ozu, 1949)
    52. Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)
    51. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964)
    50. L’Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)
    49. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
    48. Viridiana (Luis Buñuel, 1961)
    47. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
    46. Children of Paradise (Marcel Carné, 1945)
    45. L’Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)
    44. Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnès Varda, 1962)
    43. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 1999)
    42. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)
    41. To Live (Zhang Yimou, 1994)
    40. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
    39. Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990)
    38. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
    37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
    36. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
    35. The Leopard (Luchino Visconti, 1963)
    34. Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
    33. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
    32. All About My Mother (Pedro Almodóvar, 1999)
    31. The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
    30. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
    29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
    28. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
    27. The Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)
    26. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
    25. Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)
    24. Battleship Potemkin (Sergei M Eisenstein, 1925)
    23. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
    22. Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
    21. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
    20. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974)
    19. The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
    18. A City of Sadness (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1989)
    17. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
    16. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
    15. Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955)
    14. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels (Chantal Akerman, 1975)
    13. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
    12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
    11. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
    10. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
    9. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
    8. The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
    7. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
    6. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
    5. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)
    4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
    3. Tokyo Story (Yasujirô Ozu, 1953)
    2. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)
    1. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

Spitfire, Halfwit and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.