My favorite albums of 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scompton, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jlin - Black Origami

I've never heard of footwork before hearing this album. I love the percussiveness of this music. I assume the percussion is really samples. If not, this would be great to see live. It would probably be fun live either way.

Bandcamp: Black Origami, by Jlin

[​IMG]

2. scompton

Iona Fortune - Tao of I

The exact opposite of Black Origami. This is slow meditative music, but still heavy on the percussion.

Bandcamp: Tao of I, by Iona Fortune

[​IMG]

3. scompton

James Holden & The Animal Spirits - The Animal Spirits

James Holden is a new to me artist although I gather he's been around for quite a while mainly doing dance music. I've seen quite a bit of criticism of this album because it's not dance music. I love it. Bits of jazz and world music sprinkled in

Spotify: The Animal Spirits

[​IMG]

zphage likes this.
  4. scompton

Floating Points - REFLECTIONS - MOJAVE DESERT

This is mostly a downtempo album, but there are some more rock sounding moments, and some 70s/80s sounding electronic music. I bought the download but I think the CD/DVD would be great to own.

Bandcamp: REFLECTIONS - MOJAVE DESERT, by Floating Points

[​IMG]

zphage likes this.
  5. scompton

Emptyset - Borders

Very heavy music. It's kind of like heavy metal electronics. Very bass heavy and throbbing. One of my most played albums from last year.

Bandcamp: Borders, by Emptyset

[​IMG]

6. scompton

Hibernation - The Aquarius EP

Another of my most played albums last year but completely different from the Emptyset album. This one is more downtempo, reminiscent of bands like Air and Zero 7 IMO. My wife actually likes this which surprised me. It does have a fairly even beat and is kind of bass heavy so she can hear a lot of it.

It's an intesting EP. The bandcamp download, which is how I bought it, includes the 28 minute EP plus a remix track by the artist that is 55 minutes long.

Bandcamp: The Aquarius EP, by Hibernation

[​IMG]

7. scompton

Tipper - Flunked

Another EP. The best description I've seen of this I'll steal, music for psychedelic bass lovers. I don't remember who turned me on to Tipper a few years ago on the forum, but I'm thankful. Both EPs that I have are very infectious. It's also pretty non-stop, high energy, until the downtempo final track.

Bandcamp: Flunked, by Tipper

[​IMG]

8. scompton

The Bug vs Earth - Concrete Desert

I've never heard The Bug before this. I'm a big fan of Earth. Another description I'm stealing to describe this, industrial plus doom. Somehow, I missed the earlier collaboration, the two track EP, Boa / Cold, which I immediately bought after hearing this.

Bandcamp: Concrete Desert, by The Bug vs Earth

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  9. scompton

Call Super - Arpo

This is chill out music with just a little bit of an edge at times. Part of what really attracts me to this music is the occasional clarinet and oboe, two instruments I really love.

Bandcamp: Arpo, by Call Super
    [​IMG]

10. scompton

Justin Walter - Unseen Forces

A very mellow album. The main instrument is a breath powered analog synth played like a trumpet. The instrument is what initially caught my attention, but the music is great irregardless of how it's produced.

Bandcamp: Unseen Forces, by JUSTIN WALTER

[​IMG]

11. scompton

EARTHEN SEA - An Act of Love

This is mostly ambient but a few of the songs have enough of a beat to get away from ambient. Even the tracks with a beat, it's not a very heavy beat. So overall, very nice chill out music.

Bandcamp: An Act of Love, by Earthen Sea

[​IMG]

12. scompton

F ingers - Awkwardly Blissing Out

This is a very quirky album. The lyrics are unintelligible which is fine by me. The quirkiness of the music really draws me in. The album's title fits the music IMO.

Bandcamp: Awkwardly Blissing Out, by F INGERS

[​IMG]

13. scompton

Kowton - Pea Soup / Iodine

This is really a single. It's downtempo techno. Usually I don't like the heavy beat of techno but this is tamed down a bit.

Bandcamp: Pea Soup / Iodine, by Kowton

[​IMG]

14. scompton

Porter Ricks - Anguilla Electrica

Another techno album without the heavy beat. Like the Kowton, this is more for chilling in the after party. Not that I'm going to a lot of parties these days. I'm a bit old for that. I'm more into chilling all the time.

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  15. scompton

Forest Swords - Compassion

I almost didn't check out this album because it was the second album out last year with this photo as the cover art. The other album didn't have the color washes.

The album is hard for me to describe. Some of the tracks are a little drony, others a little glitchy, while others are neither. It has a dark feeling overall.

Bandcamp: Compassion, by Forest Swords

[​IMG]

16. scompton

Brainwaltzera - Poly-Ana

Another mixed album, with some ambient and some IDM. It's a great mix of styles and like most of what I like, a bit on the downtempo side.

Bandcamp: Brainwaltzera - Poly-Ana, by FILM

[​IMG]

17. scompton

Bola - D.E.G

A great album with styles varying widely from track to track. Evidently Bola was a popular artist a decade ago. This is the first album I've heard by him.

I have a very hit or miss history with electronic. I was into Tangerine Dream, Jarre, Larry Fast and Vangelis in the 7os and 80s, but as electronic music started being filed in record stores under Dance or New Age, I lost track of what was going on. I started dipping my toes back in when I heard Thievery Corporation being promoted as a local artist in a record store in the late 90s. But I got burned enough buying stuff I didn't really start listening to it again until I started streaming. I started realizing I missed a lot of great music in the 90s and early 2000s. When I discovered Bleep and Boomkat a few years ago, my enjoyment of electronic music really took off.

[​IMG]

Beamish13 likes this.
  18. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

The biggest of 2017, Taylor Swift's "reputation" (sic:))

Even in advance of the album;'s November 2017 release "Look What You Made Me Do" (aka "Too Sexy for my love) spun off as a #1 hit for many weeks, followed by the time of the album by "Ready for it',"End Game" (with longtime close buddy Ed Sheeran), and "This is why we can't have Nice Things!" (only about 3/4 of a year), and it's a big surprise success story.

(Very inspired to use all lower case for the title.)

No TITLE song..but "End Game" IS as close as you get to a title song, with the chorus lyrics "big reputation".

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  19. scompton

Sherwood & Pinch - Man Vs. Sofa

Two more artists who are well know by fans of electronic music who I missed. This is a dub album with a little Blaxploitation thrown in. What drew my attention first was Lee "Scratch" Perry collaborating on one track. It ended up being one of my least favorite on the album, not because it isn't good, but because everything else is even better. It's the only video I could find.

Bandcamp: Man Vs. Sofa, by Sherwood & Pinch

[​IMG]

20. scompton

Personally, I'm not really into pop music for the same reason I don't like rap. I tend to not like music where the vocals/lyrics are the most important feature. Even my rock list is light on prominent vocals.

Steve Carras likes this.
  21. scompton

Ploy - Intrigued By The Drum

I discovered this when it was suggested by Bandcamp based on the tag percussion, which I follow. The main thing I love about it is it's heavy on polyrhythms on drum machines. It's labeled techno in most reviews but only one track seems even remotely techno to me.

Bandcamp: Intrigued By The Drum, by Ploy

[​IMG]

22. scompton

Deena Abdelwahed - Klabb - EP

Another EP. She's a Tunisian artist and the music has a lot of North African influences which I really like. It has a pretty heavy beat. It's probably the closest to dance music as anything on the list.

Bandcamp: Klabb, by Deena Abdelwahed

[​IMG]

Beamish13 likes this.
  23. scompton

Ahmed Malek & Flako - The Electronic Tapes

Ahmed Malek is supposed to be the Ennio Morricone of Algerian cinema. According to the write up on bandcamp, he discovered electronic music in the 80s and experimented for years but never released anything. Habbi Funk Records got a box of tapes from his family and Flako compiled this album out of them. It's mostly 1-3 minute clips and all very good. It was a Bandcamp album of the day which is how I heard about it.

Bandcamp: Habibi 005: Ahmed Malek & Flako, by The Electronic Tapes

[​IMG]

zphage likes this.
  24. scompton

Sandoz - Intensely Radioactive

This album was going to be near the top of the list for electronic albums until I started compiling the list and realized it was a reissue of a 1994 album. I'm sure I knew it was a reissue when I bought it, but by the time I listened to it a few weeks later, I had forgotten. It's great downtempo and one of my favorite reissues of the year.

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.